mid and upper back pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onesmileymyley, Jun 14, 2003.

1. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

I was wondering how many others havr the upper back pain. I have had it for a long time but I see know end to it. The sides of my upper ribs hurt as well as my spine. Any one else have this problem.
  2. 2girls

2girls New Member

I have had this type of pain constantly for over a year now. It is always there but flares bring it out big time. The spine and ribs hurt also but my pain is mainly on my left side and radiates into my stomache.

2girls
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The upper back is where it all started with me over 20 years ago.

I had pneumonia, then they diagnosed the pain after the pneumonia was over as pleurisy. This went on for years. Then the pain started in the upperchest wall, then the ribcage, shoulders.

After two more doctors, I was finally diagnosed with Fibrositis, then it was changed to Fibromyalgia.

I still have my major pain in the upperback, and the ribs and chestwall.

Will it ever go away completely? I doubt it.

I have gotten major relief from the pain and the spasms with magnesium.
    But I always have a dull pain in the upper back. I am never totally without pain, but at least I can function now, as I could not before the magnesium.

Shalom, Shirl

4. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

It was my mid back pain that lead my doc to diagnosis FMS. Lower back pain is not as much of a sign, not to say it isn't I have had horrid low back pain. In the beggining mine was all mid and upper back and it was so frustrating to get a heating pad around that area. I bought the extra large heating pad, laid it again my back and then tucked a pillow in tight in that area to keep it agains my back. It would help me to fall asleep. Some say this is dangerous but I was extremely desperate. My doc wanted me to put timers on the heating pad to I would not fall asleep with it on. I usually got it as hot as I could, then turned it off and hoped I fell asleep but timers was a great idea.

We have written in here about tens units before. I found that they could be very helpful in this area for pain, expecially the tens that has four leads.

I came back and noticed you had not had alot of response. Try the search engine.

Lynda B.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/14/2003]
  5. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

i can totally relate to that--i live on my heating pad in the mid upper left back! i have always been "sensitive" there, had surgery in may and had a chest tube on the left side, have been worried that my lung is collapsed or something because it has really set off that pain. Thermocares (expensive!) or other heat patches feel good if you can stand to wear a bra to hold them in place well. 2 years ago when my major symptoms started i hurt my mid upper back by trying to open a window that was locked, then it flared up frequently. i have disc problems in low back and neck, but i know that pain and it is NOTHING compared to this--hurts to take a deep breath! so, you are not alone, sorry to hear others have this problem--i guess misery loves company and it is nice (?) to hear that symptoms are shared so you don't go nuts wondering what is wrong with you! Have a great day--laurie
  6. aching

aching New Member

It is in one specific spot just beside my spine. I've had this for 3 years now and I also must sleep on a heating pad to get to sleep. When I take my NSAID It goes away for a few days but always comes back. I'm a little worried about getting to sleep tomorrow nite as I'm supposed to have a 24 hr. holter moniter on tomorrow for the palpitations I've been experiencing. They say not to have it around electrical currents. The funny thing is I sometimes push the heating pad off the bed and when I go to retrieve it, my dog is asleep on it.
    Piper
  7. andyM

andyM New Member

Mid and upper back pain is how my FM started and is my main complaint. It is so deep and burning through my back and front chest cavity that it makes me feel like crap all over. I have used the TENS unit and it does help some.

My pain feels deep in the muscles. When I have someone push on the spots, the pain gives me some relief. Anyone else know what I mean??
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

When I first felt the pains of FM it was all in my neck/shoulder,upper back.Then the pains moved down to effect the lower body,my hip on the left,my achy legs,low back pain etc... Now after 11 years I have pain at different times in different areas!From my neck down to my ankles.Seems the pain rotates from one spot to another in flares~ The last few weeks its been my upper back,neck and shoulder.I've gotten some relief taking Naprosyn for inflamation....but it took a few days to start working~Now my pain is'nt as bad....but its still there~
    I use a heating pad on mine also...it helps some~
    Hope your ends soon~
    Tracey
  9. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

It is sad to know others suffer from this pain but in the same breath a relief. I am also prego and I know the extra weight has made it even worse. What is a tens unit?
  10. andyM

andyM New Member

Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (T.E.N.S.) is a modern, non invasive, drug free, pain management modality, commonly used for short term acute pain or long term chronic pain.

T.E.N.S. will relieve back, knee, shoulder, neck, and muscle associated pain as well as many other work and sport related injuries, such as: carpal tunnel syndrome, RSI (repetitive strain injuries) and many other problems related to today's sedentary working environments.

TENS stimulates sensory nerves to block pain signals, stimulate endorphin production to help normalize sympathetic function.
  11. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Yes, I have been having the exact same thing! I'm just glad to know others out there know what it's like. Even my leg muscles feel very sore - and I didn't do any exercise yesterday.
  12. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Many of us on this board use a 'mattress heating pad', it is a gentle heat, not like a heating pad. It also shuts off automatically after 10 hours. It is a lifesaver for back/body pain. It also helps with the morning stiffness.

Also if you sleep on you side, it is much better than on your back or stomach. Also put a pillow between your knees it keeps your back aligned, which is also a help.

Then I also use 'rice socks', take a mans tube sock and fill it with raw rice three thirds full, tie the end.

You can put them in the micorwave for heat, or in the freezer for cold compresses (it is so much better than ice packs, it stays dry, no dripping or wetness). It holds the heat for hours too.

I also use a 'Home Medics' Massagerer that fits on the back of my computer chair, it has heat zones for; shoulders, back, thighs. It has a heating element in it too.

Wonderful for a massage with heat. Or just the heat while you are at the computer.

There is a bath I take that is also very beneficial, its;

3 bottles of regular peroxide (large)
    3 cups of Epson Salts

Use in a tube of water as warm as you can stand. Soak for twenty minutes only, and go to bed when you are finished. It will make you feel weak, but I gurantee you a good nights sleep with little pain! Not a cure, but sure a big help for those spasms and the FM pain.

As for whoever is pregnant, be sure to ask you doctor about any of these electrical appliances before you use them. Especially the tens unit, and the bath too.

Hope this helps some of you.

Shalom, Shirl
  13. vnr27

vnr27 New Member

ihave it now it hurts like crazy an i cant get adeep breath, then i get a panic attack, im fed up, i take mobic zanax it lhelps a lil any one else get this i feel like flipping out,u r not alone
  14. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I know exactly what you mean about having someone rub those sore spots (pressure points), my husband used to rub them till I was crying with the pain. But afterwards it stopped hurting.

He said that the muscles were all knotted up, and he would rub them untill he could 'feel' then smoothing out.

I don't get them too often anymore, again, back to the magnesium I take for this!

Shalom, Shirl
  15. memaw

memaw New Member

I, too, have the mid to upper back and chest pain. I've worn holter monitors, spent a night in the hospital with a suspected heart attack. Just this DD. I always feel like my mid back muscles are weak. I have to lie down a lot. When I wake in the morning, I feel like and elephant has been on my chest. My pain started in my lower back and this upper back thing just happened in the past 7 months. I suppose it will ultimately move somewhere else. Or it will stay there as has my lower back and another pain will be added. It just doesn't get any better in the long run. I had a brief respite where I felt great and actually thought I had beat the FMS. When it came back, it was worse than ever.
  16. donna13210

donna13210 Member

I, too, have the upper back & rib pain and my spine aches terribly.

It is the worst in the morning, so I highly suspect my bed. I bought one of those memory foam toppers, which helped alleviate my morning lower back pain, but doesn't help at all with the upper areas or any other part of my body that aches. I was very disappointed with that purchase.

I believe alot of us need to take a close look both at our beds as well as computer chairs. If I'm on the computer too long, everything above my waist is screaming. But it's hard to resolve when you're financially challenged like me!

Are you taking any meds for pain?

Take care
  17. Hurting

Hurting New Member

Thank you for the advice. I am new here and it will take a while to becaome acclimated. I'll post messages soon.
  18. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hello, and welcome to the board. Please feel free to post whenever you feel up to it. We are always around 24/7. I doubt if this board is ever without someone to offer support or answer a question.

It takes a while to get used to all the different things we do to get some relief! We never stop trying.

If you have any questions, please feel free to just ask away.

Again, a big welcome to you!

Shalom, Shirl
  19. Silverwell

Silverwell New Member

This sounds like the condition I have and that - I just found out - is caused by a ribcage that is out of alignment. The muscles that run between the ribs are working overtime to hold the ribs in place and they get very stiff and sore. I don't know whether this was the result of a fall I had a few years ago, or just poor posture at the computer, but the ribcage on my right is definitely slightly lower than on the left. I'm seeing a chiropractor and, so far, things are going well. He is trying to loosen up the ribcage muscles, and, once we have the pain under control, to get me in better alignment. I hate sitting at the computer and, although I sleep well at night, I can't get comfortable sitting down. Right now, my upper back feels stiff and I need to get up and stretch....so, bye for now!
  20. marecee58

marecee58 New Member

Yes, Yes and more Yes - its what wakes me up EVERY single morning and makes it difficult to take deep breaths in general. It makes it impossible to get comfortable in any position and gets particularly bad when I sit or stand for too long.