Mid day naps...good or bad idea???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Highlandrose, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Highlandrose

Highlandrose New Member

Hi all...I'm really having problems sleeping at night. I've been through all the sleep meds out there. They're only good for a week or so. I'm wondering if instead of fighting to sleep at night I shouldn't try napping when my body says sleep and finding things to do when I can't. It's getting more and more frustrating for me, since I'm not getting a good night's sleep more than once or twice a week, which is really wearing me down.

Hoping to hear your thoughts,

Highlandrose
  2. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I've also debated the nap thing. I don't have time for it very often (I am a busy mom), but sometimes it really does feel good to rest. Problem is I'll sleep for several hours if I get the chance (I have CFS so I'm always tired), and that will throw me off at night.

I've been told that if you nap, it's best to keep naps short so as not to have even more trouble sleeping at night. But that is just in general and not necessarily for this situation. Again, give it a try if you'd like. I hope it works well and you are sleeping better soon!

BTW, I fell asleep around 6 and woke up 4 hours later (had to take out my contacts, etc.). Now I've been wide awake...again. Ugh! Right there with you, although I haven't even gotten the 1-2 nights good sleep each week. I'm used to it now, though...I haven't slept well since my daughter was born (actually since I was 7 mo. pregnant). She just turned 4 in October. :)

Good luck, and hope you get some sleep soon!
    C.
  3. Highlandrose

Highlandrose New Member

C...Have you tried napping when (and if) your daughter naps? Though at 4 I suspect she's not really willing to nap anymore, huh.

Part of what's worrying me is I'm a "power napper". I can sleep for an hour or so and end up good to go for 6-8 hours. I'm afraid I'll end up in a fibrofog or worse. On the other hand, I'm so strung out from not sleeping at all that I become misserable to live with.

Ah well....will try napping when my body says sleep. The worst that can happen is nothing gets done at normal hours...lol

H

4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i think when your body says its had enough then listen.

when i try to ignore it and carry on i end up violently sick! the full excorsist caboodle!
  5. Gail8899

Gail8899 New Member

I'm so backwards that if I do not nap I can't sleep at night at all.

..Gail
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

when my body just has to lie down.

I've had disturbed sleep for over 20 years now and I stay awake through the day if I can but when my body shouts at me to have a nap, then I do. Even when I stay awake, it doesnt make any difference to my night sleep.

love
    Rosie
  7. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

When I'm really tired, I nap when my son is in preschool. If I can't fall all the way to sleep, I take a concentrated rest - basically, lying there, going through the steps of relaxing my whole body, meditating, lowering my pulse and allowing my body to rest. The concentrated rest is nearly as refreshing as sleep :).

Caution though, drifting off to sleep in the afternoon is almost a guarantee that the phone will ring or the doorbell will buzz ;).
  8. Highlandrose

Highlandrose New Member

LOL...That is sooooo true! Or the dogs want to go out, the birds start sqawking, or a really good movie comes on. Or any number of other stupid things.

9. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

I nap about once a week. (If my life permitted, I would every day because I stay FATIGUED.) However, I don't feel any better after the nap--often worse. I can feel so sleepy, but it takes a good hour to get to sleep. Then, I'll sleep the next 2 to 3 hrs. I plan to go to a sleep dr. soon.
  10. libra55

libra55 New Member

I am a believer when it comes to naps. There are some cultures where it is a regular thing to take a rest in mid afternoon. Some days I nap and some days I don't. I listen to what my body needs. Also if I have any thing planned for the evening I will probably try and get a nap.

One thing I am careful of is not to make it a long nap. No more than an hour. Usually I sleep about 20 to 30 minutes and that is sufficient to recharge my batteries. If I let it go on 2 or 3 hours I feel groggy and I cant sleep at night.

Since I got dx'd with Crohn's and got the proper medicines for that I don't feel like I need the naps as much, but I still have FM too and that can be overwhelming so when I feel the need for a siesta I just go ahead and have one.

Michelle
  11. KelB

KelB New Member

As part of my CFS support programme, I was given the following advice about restoring sleep:

1) Have rests during the day, but don't sleep. If you sleep during the day, it means your body doesn't realise it has to sleep at night.

2) Have the rests at the same time each day. Set your body a routine, so that it knows when it's OK to relax.

3) When you rest during the day, the ideal way is to lie down and then do something that relaxes your mind as well as your body. Breathing exercises, meditation, listening to a tape of relaxing sounds like waves or running water (very quietly).

4) Get up and go to bed at the same time each day. Doesn't matter how wacky the times are to start with, just make them regular. Again, routine is important. Your body needs to re-learn when it's appropriate to be asleep and awake.

5) Have a set bedtime routine that lasts around half an hour e.g. lower the light levels, get your clothes ready for the next day, have a bath etc. Do the same things each night, so that your body gets prepared for the fact that you shortly expect it to sleep.

The way it was explained to me, was that CFS robs your body of its automatic control systems so it no longer "knows" when it ought to sleep and be awake. Combined with the adrenal problems associated with CFS, the two problems combine to make your body believe that it ought to stay awake as much as possible.

As a result, when you lie down to sleep your body fights you and tries to stay awake. But during the day when you need to be awake, it starts to flag and accidentally sleeps when you need it to be awake.

This continual cycle of wakefulness and poor quality of sleep, push you down into a crash.

Taking the rests each day can be a bind and takes a lot of self-discipline - I'm lucky and manage four, but most people find that only two or three are practical due to work or family. However, I've been following the above rules since April and I find that I do now sleep for about eight hours a night. It only takes me about half an hour to fall asleep, compared to the three or four hours when I was at my worst.

It hasn't solved all my problems - I still have disturbed sleep and nightmares - but it has lessened them. It hasn't cured my CFS by a long chalk, but I have gradually found that combined with managing my activity levels, it has helped me feel a little better during the day.
  12. tansy

tansy New Member

who first diagnosed me in 1983 advised me to rest, nap, or sleep whenever I felt the need for it. The acupuncturist who has been treating me on and off for the last 22 years says the same, his comment was if my body tells me I need to rest I should listen to it.

I spent half my childhood years living in a warmer climate where everything closes down for the hottest hours of the day and many take an afternoon nap. My mother still does this; she has a heart problem and says her siesta enables her to be more physically active.

Many find their circadian cycles are skewed, so you may be trying to sleep when your hormones are in a more alert state. IMHO sleep is essential, so we should get it when we can. If doing this enables you to get some restorative sleep you could try readjusting your cycle slowly later on.

My sleep med works better these days, but even so I don't do well if I ignore my body's own sleep/wake cycles. If I try to be active too early in the day, I pay for it by the early afternoon.

Sleep hygiene recommendations didn't work for me but finally getting some decent sleep did.

love, Tansy[This Message was Edited on 12/11/2005]
  13. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

I love to sleep, but I feel like total dog poo if I nap during the day. I'm sorry you are battling the insomnia.
  14. Highlandrose

Highlandrose New Member

Thanks all for your wonderful imput. This last month has be the absolute worst since just before I was diagnosed 3 1/2 yrs ago. I'd rather find ways to help myself with this than have to take more meds. I already feel like a "junkie" as it is (is it okay to say things like that on this site???). And it doesn't help being a "drug horse"...normal doses don't work as well or as long as they should.

I'm going to start doing the "down time" thing this coming week. Not exactly a nap, more relaxation exercises. Will set the alarm just in case I do fall asleep, and try to give myself about an hour or so. Luckily I'm one of those people who really does feel great after a good nap. Scheduling may be difficult since DH works second shift, which means I'm on the second shift life style too, but I'll make it work. Somehow I always do :eek:)

After New Year's I'll start with the definite bedtime and routine, then add the definite wake up time. Trying to do anything on any kind of schedule right now is just not happening.

Thanks again. You're all so wonderful!

Megan
    [This Message was Edited on 12/11/2005]
  15. whoachief

whoachief New Member

My sleep is so messed up right now too! I nap almost every day because I couldn't go on without my naps BUT sometimes (like now) I get in this insomnia phase during the night & it drives me nuts!!! I've tried warm baths, reading a boring book LOL, no caffeine, etc and nothing is working. Dr gave me some samples of Lunesta once & they seemed to work pretty well so I'm thinking about asking him for a prescription. Seems funny that someone who is tired all the time can't sleep, doesn't it? I've been having some other "new" symptoms the past couple days such as nausea and itching on diff. parts of my body - sides, behind the bend of my knees, etc. and took Benadryl last night because it was so bad. Boy was that a mistake - it really knocked me for a loop & I was in such a fog all day I couldn't do anything! Well, enough griping from me - I'm gonna see if I can go lay down & try to sleep for a while. Nite all I hope!
  16. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I nap a few times a week but not everyday, it depends on the medication and how bad I am in feeling. I used to nap everyday but then it started to make my night sleeps harder to attain. Then I would have insomnia problems. I was napping for about two hours or so because my body was so tired. So I usually nap when my body is really tired and I cannot go on further in the day without one. However if my body wants to nap I will just skip over it and find something productive to do, and then just go to bed a little earlier and take my Melantonin and anything other meds that I need to take for sleeping.
  17. jaltair

jaltair New Member

We aren't use to listening to our body's language. If your fatigue is really an overwelming type of fatigue, then go ahead and sleep. A lot of the problem is the melatonin factor and our pineal gland. Those with FMS are "turned around" with sleep patterns. Try to take warmed milk before going to bed with a bit of honey. The milk when warmed has natural relaxants in it. One thing that has helped me a lot is the ZMA that is sold on this site. If you take that before bedtime (about an hour), it would help most likely. If you get too tired, sometimes that in itself is a sleep deterrent. Good luck with this problem. Mine is more like I could sleep all day and all night!
  18. JLH

JLH New Member

If I take a mid-afternoon nap, then I can't sleep at all at night.

Also, when I sleep to late in the morning, I have trouble going to bed at a decent hour.
  19. Highlandrose

Highlandrose New Member

Well...I guess the down time thing is already working!! Not only did I get a good rest yesterday, but I got to bed at a decent hour last night, got up this morning by 10:30 and I feel FANTASTIC!!!

This may be a "blip on the radar" or it may be that I'm on to something. Either way, I'm not complaining!!!!

Off to bake cookies for the gift baskets the family is getting this year for Christmas.

Megan
  20. Bambi

Bambi New Member

during the midday I have a LOT more pain and just feel lousy in general come night. It makes NO difference in my sleep at night since I take the Trazadone at bedtime anyway. But it DOES make me feel SO much better and I am more able to function in the evening for meal making, clean up etc.. Do what your body tells you to!