Midlife crisis

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeavenlyRN, May 18, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Reading Becky's post about mentioning something interesting about ourselves that no one knows reminded me that I had wanted to start this thread.....

......Have you had your midlife crisis and if so, what was it?

Examples (not mine)......had a boob job.....bought a little red convertible.....got a tattoo.

OK folks.......let's hear about your wild side!!
  2. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I had a baby....ROFLMAO! I kid, I kid. Well I did have a baby at 42 but thats cos he was cheaper than a boob job. Or a convertible. I KID! Seriously I dont think I had a midlife crisis. Maybe its yet to come? I had a hubby who had one tho and I decided that if this hubby does that Im going to seriously hurt him physically. This hubs is 10yrs younger than myself...maybe HE is MY midlife crisis???
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

My friend's mid-life crisis was to marry a guy who was 24 when she was 48,
    she's about the same age as his mother...
    AND they're still married, 10 years later ;)

My 'mid-life crisis' was to travel a bit with friends and a bit with DH... you know,
    when you go with friends it's a different trip than with a spouse, much more self-
    indulgent LOL no matter how sympatico one may be with one's dearly beloved.

4. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Becky and Victoria.....hello girls!

Becky, can't remember if I mentioned this to you before or not, but my DH is also younger than me, by 11 years. When I think that he was graduating from kindergarten when I was graduating from high school.............. :) We've been together for 15 years. When we met, his younger son was still in diapers. What a shock THAT was when they would come to visit!!

I think my ex-DH was having his midlife crisis when he decided to leave me. I thought it was the worst thing that could ever happen to me but it turns out it wasn't. And despite everything that happened, my boys turned out OK.

As I sit here, my goofball cat, Bob, is attempting to catch a bee that got caught between the screen and the closed window. It's driving him crazy! But it's providing me with my day's entertainment! Bzzzzzz!

Victoria - I agree with you about the difference between traveling with spouses and traveling with friends. Some of the best trips I ever had were with some girlfriends when my kids were young (without the kids). I don't think we stopped laughing for 3 days. However, I DID stop laughing when I got home and saw the mess. Geez louise, it looked like my es-DH had been hoarding fast food wrappers while I was gone! Don't even know why I bothered cleaning before I left.

Well, I hope some ore people reply. I'd like to get ideas for my next midlife crisis
  5. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

No Jan...I not know that! I almost missed out on this wonderful man bc I had a "thing" about younger men. I had dated (and by date...I mean just that...dinner, movie etc...not what I see what constitutes dating by the young ppl of today but thats another subject) both. Interestingly enough I was treated exceptionally well by the younger men and the older men acted like I owed them something cos they took me out. I had thought it would be the opposite. I waited 3wks before I called this man (I wouldnt give my number out) and it was the smartest thing I had done in a long time. . .I started to say Id shave 5 yrs off my life to have had gfs to go on vacay with but Im getting up in years and I need those 5 yrs now lol. Ill stop hijacking your thread now. And congrats on 15 yrs! You give me something to look forward to!
  6. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Now I wanna get a tattoo too! I've seriously thought about it but Im not sure what I'd get or where I'd get it (on my body I mean!!)

OK.....I'll tell you about a couple of MY midlife crises.

Lets see.....
    1) marrying my DH

2) getting my belly button pierced a few years ago (actually I really did that because I had lost 45 pounds and I told myself that when I could actually SEE my bellybutton again I would get it pierced!!) :)

3) taking stand-up comedy classes and performing stand-up comedy for 7 months

If I think of anything else I'll let ya know!! And let's hear it folks.......I know you're out there!
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

no mid-life crisis. Symptoms of CFS appeared when I was in my late 30s. I
    wondered if that was the beginning of a mid-life crisis.

When I was 44 I had to give up practicing law, so that was a crisis in
    mid-life, but not a mid-life crisis.

I did have a sea change at age 50. Realized that death was not an abstraction
    but something that applied to me too. Felt I should do something wild and crazy
    like take a trip around the world. Alas, a bit too pricey.

At the same time a friend sent me a video tape on tattooing and piercing.
    The next weekend went w/ the neighbors to the huge Rose Bowl swap meet in
    Pasadena. Got my ear pierced.

The gal doing the piercing wore a nurse's uniform, but I doubt she had any
    medical training. My friend asked her if it would hurt. She assured him it
    wouldn't. He said, "Can you make it hurt?"

Anyhoo I got my ear pierced (which didn't hurt) and then I got a tattoo to
    see if that would hurt. And it didn't so I got some more and pretty soon
    I had several and that was enough. One doesn't want too much of a
    good thing.

Tell us about stand up comedy, Jan. I took a couple classes re: same, but
    never actually did it.

8. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

interesting stories, guys!

i've been having crisises all my life- due to depression, cfs, etc.

now that im 40- i guess i could have a proper midlife crisis. Ha! hmmm, what to do?

actually- i just realized that i recently DID have a midlife crisis type of thing- and its a doozie! long story short---about a year ago- i freaked out, decided i HAD to move out of pennsylvania. i packed up my station wagon, and drove to florida. (I made my mom drive with me, because of cfs i couldnt drive that trip alone). and this last year in florida has been one crazy rollercoaster- full of highs and lows, --new joys, my first eviction, some legal battles, a whole lotta xanax, and some fabulous sunsets. overall i am glad i did it.

thats a pretty high quality mid life crisis, huh?

ps rockgor- what is a sea change? did you mean "sex change"?
    [<i>This Message was Edited on 05/20/2010</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/20/2010]
  9. paulac7

paulac7 Member

Buying a large, loud, obnoxious full size Chevy 4x4 truck with a 5-speed (think driving a stick is becoming a lost art LOL), and taking banjo lessons.

I already had the tattoo--Harley Davidson of course--and yes, I *do* have a Harley, and I had the obligatory red Firebird like the good white trash that I am, so I figured that the 'Redneck Ride Truck' and learning to play the banjo was about the only things left for me to do when I was in my midlife crisis mode. People always ask me if I have *any* quiet vehicles LOL.

Good thread!!

10. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Around here those loud large trucks are a way of life! Chevy or Ford...and heated debates arise on which is better lol. DH wants the glass pipes he had on his other truck before he was creamed by a semi. Poor guy only has a 6cyl and wants it to sound "badder" than it is. That might be my b-day gift to him this year.
  11. paulac7

paulac7 Member

We have the Chevy vs Ford debates, and even some Mopar guys get involved LOL! BTW--I live in Western PA--land of the coal mines and gas-wells

I run dual glass packs--the cheapies, so there's probably not much left inside--basically straight pipes, I guess you could say, but for inspection purposes, it works for me *evil chuckle*.

I think a set of glass packs would be a wonderful present for your hubby--but that's just the redneck in me....To heck with candy and flowers--get me bike or truck parts, or some quilting supplies.

LOL about wanting his truck to sound 'badder'--I have a 305 in mine, and sometimes (not often, though) I wish it had the 6 for mileage purposes. Oh the price we pay to be 'cool' sometimes--though unlike a lot of other truck owners I know--I actually use mine for a truck, and know how to use the 4-wheel drive.

Take care!

12. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

You would love okla...NO STATE INSPECTION! They did away with it several years ago. Said there were too many places that would just slap one on so why bother. I think okies just like to do things their own way. I can see all the cali ppl (no offense jam and rock) fainting at the emissions this state is chugging out lol.
  13. paulac7

paulac7 Member

In Ohio you can drive a frame around, and they wouldn't care--at least it was that way several years ago....

Oh believe me, there's lotsa 'lickem and stickem' places around here also.......

Sorry to the OP--didn't mean to 'threadjack'.....Think I'll go sit on my tailgate and pick my 5 string and be thankful my midlife crisis is over.........

14. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I am not sure that I have had one or not. I think I was too busy to do so with 5 kids, and a few rough spots with a kid or two. Then of course came the grandkids (8) and this awful DD for about 25 years. I think I spend most of my time coping and trying not to think about it that much, which I am sure you all know is not always to easy.

If I think of something I did I will add on again. I am still thunkin :) !! I think I am to old now to have a mid life crisis !

Hey ROCK, JAM what do we need to have now? A 3/4 left of our life crisis OR HOPEFULLY a "Not to close to the end of life crisis". Who knows !

Oh I was a little wild but not at midlife - still to busy !

Hugs to everydobby,
    [This Message was Edited on 05/22/2010]
  15. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Since I havent had one (the baby was a surprise) you all make me WANT one. I want to do neat and cool stuff. Id even pierce my belly button cos i see such cute little jewels to put on it. Im sure it would NOT be an attractive look tho. The days of a flat stomach are gone. Theres got to be something an old crippled lady can do thats crazy! Just dont kno what it would be....
  16. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

HaHa! Laughed the first time I read it. Re-laughed today.

Broadcasting is right. It means a big change. From Shakespeare. I believe that
    over 80% of all quotes in America are from: Shakespeare; the Bible; Mark Twain;
    Bumper stickers; or the Simpsons.

I have a valuable piece of advice for young people, but so far as I know,
    it have not yet been printed on a T-shirt.

An exciting date generally makes a bad spouse.

To those who have yearnings for a tattoo, here's some more advice.

Where does it hurt least? On somebody else.
    Where does it hurt most? Near a bone. Like your ankle or ribs.
    How much do they cost? A heckofa lot less than having them removed.

And for those who have some wild desire, I say, "Go for it, Sweetcheeks".
    (quote from Mama's Family.) So long as it's not too dangerous, pricey,
    or illicit.

17. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Met a man on this forum back when you could exhange info. Drove 2500 miles to meet him and wound up marrying him 5 1/2 months later.

Was married to him until 5 weeks ago, well we still are, but not for long as I am now back in my home state.

Turned out to be a person who thought he was the only one who was ever correct, always had to be right and had to take the credit for everything even things I did ( You have seen small kids who have to say me to mamma me too, that is what this reminded me of) wanted my Social Security check and did not want me to spend money for anything especially to save to come home to see my family.

Also, turned out to have a temper, screamed a lot and when I told him to stop screaming, he would scream louder to demonstate that I had no idea what screaming at me was. Then he told me I was all "F'd" up for not seeing things his way.

And, I thought my previous ex was a know it all.

So, here I am at 63 alone, hate living alone and most likely with my illness to ever find anyone at my age again.

So now here I sit in a one room with one bath apartment in my daughter's basement with little to no hope of having enough money to ever move out.

If that ain't mid life crisis I don't know what is.

[This Message was Edited on 05/22/2010]