Midwest Checkin Please....and Well Wishes for our friends

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hugs4evry1, Dec 3, 2006.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

For those affected by the recent storm in the Midwest, could you please check in when your power is restored and let us know that you're ok?

My Dad is fine but his neighborhood was hit hard. He's always taken great care of his trees so the damage to his house was minimal but all of the neighbor's trees came down all around them and some are now seeing daylight through the roofs.

He's been without power and even stayed a night by himself before my sister finally checked on him (long story that ticks me off) and he now is spending nights at her house.

I know his electric isn't expected to be restored until Monday (officially) but he feels like it could be Friday at least before they get it turned on.

Some very nice men are making rounds of the neighborhood and cutting and removing limbs from houses and yards for a very cheap price. Bless them....now all the neighbors are using them.

I think WillRuthie is in the St. Louis area and there must be others as well.

Let's join in and wish them all warmth, good health and minimal damage.

Hugs all,

Nancy B
  2. bozey

bozey New Member

I'm checking in. I didn't loose any power, thank goodness. I'm about 30 miles west of St. Louis.

However, our rental property lost power Thursday night. My son lives in the house and my daughter lives in the trailer behind him. And we have a vacant trailer next to her.

We've got them both on generators. So they are able to stay there. Otherwise, they would be here. The only problem with that is, my son has 2 dogs and my daughter has 4 and we have 3. Wouldn't that be a mess.

It would be like a war zone here. Actually they probably would all get along except my beagle. I've got a beagle from hell. He is so crabby & snippy all the time. And he is only 3.

Anyway, there is a power line down in that neighborhood and they still haven't fixed it. We're hoping soon.

The water lines have broke in the vacant trailer. But, at least we can wait til warm weather to fix that. And it won't be too expensive to fix it.

Luckily we had generators. Right now they are worth their weight in gold!

I hope everyone else in the area is safe and sound. Thanks for asking Nancy.

3. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

but we didn"t lose our power.had to sit tight till our son and my hubby got us dug out, which was sat.

but our city doesn"t do a very good job of plowing so I feel for people that have to go down town.I have a 4x4 and so does our son because we live back in a long lane,wooded area,its great in the summer nice and cool but the winter can be a challenge.
    I guess if your raised in Il, your kind of use to hard winters.
    We went to our Saddle club xmas banquet Sat nite and everyone was trying to out do the amount of snow they had,and how diffult it was to get to the barn to feed their horses.talk about Tall Tales.there where many.
    it was the joke of the night.
    stay warm sixtyslady
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Makes it to CNN it's never good news and they've been mentioned again this morning for the damage they've received from this storm.

I think they have the National Guard going around helping them too.

I just checked CNN again and it's going to be longer than expected (just like my Dad thought) for them to get their power back.

My sister was lucky (?), she woke up to trucks in her yard (fire and electric crews) because she had a live wire down in the front yard so her electric was back on quickly.

I think it still might be a few days before we hear from the others.

Hugs and good health to all,

Nancy B
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention our weather.

It's warm here in Germany. Last week I was on the back porch in my jammy pants and a tank top with bare feet!!!

I try hard not to complain, we had a COLD August that allowed me to stay upright this year (first time in 3 years that the heat didn't cause me to be bedridden for months on end)

Looks like some cooler weather is on the way next week but no Christmas snow in sight yet.

Nancy B
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

So our Midwest friends can see this when they get their electric back on.

Nancy B
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

8. bozey

bozey New Member

my kids have electric as of one hour ago. Neither are home from work yet but they know it is back on.

Six days without electric is just awful. The gas for the generators cost them a fortune. About $15 a day at the least!

Hopefully it will stay on! They were the last to get it back on from what I've heard.

9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm really hoping my dad has his on by now too. He had a feeling it was going to take this long. And what a long week it must have been for all of those without electricity.

Hopefully others can be checking in soon too.

Nancy B