Might need a dilation again of my esophagus. Anyone had this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendy5, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

How do you know if you are having spasms in your esophagus?

A couple years back I had to go to ER because I felt like I was choking after eating and had trouble swallowing. It wouldn't clear and I had to have a dilation. It wasn't comfortable and the ER doctor said I didn't actually have a stricture but there was some mild bleeding.

I have felt some discomfort off and on since this one but last night I had to lay down early because I was eating chips and salsa with sprite and it started hurting just like the first time. Hubby feels it could have triggered my acid reflux but I'm not for sure if it would hurt this bad.

This morning feels a little better but I'm not for sure if it could have been caused by GERD or not. Any ideas appreciated.

I really don't want to have another dilation but I will if I have to. I just don't want to go to the ER on a weekend.

Hugs,
    carolin
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Every two years when they do an endoscopic check. I always feel better after, but get chest discomfort for a few days depending on who does it.

There is an exercise called Mendlesohn technique that may help you. It is what they use for people coming off trachs. Plus there are some speech and language exercises you can do that strengthen your esoph and epiglotis area.

Hope this helps. Love Annie Cromwell
  3. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Yeah, I guess the discomfort is what's making me a little nervous but I did feel a whole lot better a few days later.

I'm going to do a search for the exercise and thanks for helping.

P.S. I will go if it continues.

Love, Carolin