Migraine/Diet HELP!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Help! My migraines are out of control! I went for about 5 years controling them with Imetrix and Tylenol and some times taking Fiorinal.

In the past 6 months I have been at the docs or hospital 8 times for shots to knock me out. Three times I had to go back the next day for a second shot.

I was wondering if anyone has a specific diet they use to help control migraines.

I have a friend who's daughter used glutin free diet and her migraines got much better. She got them daily though and mine aren't that often.

I use to get them once a month with my period. I've had a hysterectomy and hoped that would make it better. It's been 10 years and at this point I don't think it's going to help (LOL).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I work full time and have missed a lot of work lately after nearly 4 years of not missing even one full day! I did have to go in late a few times while I waited for the meds to work, but never missed a full day in that whole period.

Help!!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies (one of which laid along my back when I was laying on the little bed in our small bedroom, what a wonderful 80 lb puppy!)!
    [This Message was Edited on 08/21/2006]
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I started a headache diary yesterday listing everything from the weather to what I ate, when I ate it, and when I took my meds. I'm hoping I can find a pattern.

Today the headache is still there, but hasn't erupted in a major migraine. I am about to take a fiorinal.

I know MSG is one of my triggers. We used to go to a Chinese restaurant until my DH noticed that I got a migraine when we went there. So the last time we went I had a BLT and fries. Still got a headache! DH thinks there is something in that building that is setting it off. We aren't going there anymore!

I don't eat much chocolate, but Thursday night I had a Red Hatter picnic and ate way to much and didn't pay much attention to what it was. I had a brownie and way to much sugar!

I avoid aspartame, don't eat cheese or processed meat, and hardly eat any meat at all. We raise our own beef and I will eat that, but I'm just not a big meat eater. Had corn on the cob, tomatoes, and cucumber for dinner last night. Probably have the same thing tonight with a hamburger patty!

Didn't know about bananas! My favorite fruits are apples (I eat the shake) and berries so I'm ok there.

Thanks again for the info, I am going to print it out and read it again when I get home from work.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

How about BP? I get chronic migraines in the summer, sometimes 2 weeks in a row. I am heat sensitive and get tachycardia and muscle weakness too. Blood pressure can increase the amount of migraines significantly.

Just a thought.

Food never made a difference for me. Plently of water and frequent meals seem to help some.
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Nancy: Bacon has never been a problem for me. When we were on Atkins I ate 6 strips every morning and didn't get migraines from it. Doesn't seem to matter what I eat in that particular restaurant, I get a headache.

Peanut butter doesn't seem to be a problem either. I eat it most everyday and if it was a trigger I think I would have been having more migraines consistantly instead of the way they are going now. PB and honey have been my lunch for years.

I was eating bacon and PB in the 4+ years that I didn't have a shot. Of course it could be a combination of some of the things I eat now, and although I haven't had bacon since the BLT several weeks ago, there could be something else reacting with the PB. That's why I am writing it all down. Hopefully I will be able to see a pattern.

Lemasvn: The only time my blood pressure is high is when I am having a migraine. I think my BP has been up lately because of stress due to my mom's alzheimer's and the fact that she moved clear across the country two weeks ago. I had a migraine the weekend before she left and didn't get to see her to say good by :-(.

I talked to her on Thursday evening and then the migraine started that night. DH thinks talking to her brings them on and I'm not sure I can argue with that!

More info, more help! You guys have been great and I am learning a lot! Any ideas on the gluten free diet? Doesn't look like things with gluten in them are on the trigger list of foods.

Thanks!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

5. kjfms

kjfms Member

So sorry you have migraines I have them as well. I have had chronic migraines since I was 14-years-old. Migraine triggers are different for everyone as I am sure you know.

Your migraines may have changed mine did that about five years ago it was very odd had to change medications.

Here is a site which has helped me very much and I have used it for several years:

(I can't put the URL here per the rules of this board because I think there is a message board on this site but I have never used it I just like the information).

http://www dot migraines dot org/

I kept a food and weather diary. My migraine are more triggered by the barometric pressure than food. I only have a few foods that trigger a migraine for me.

There are a lot of myths out there about migraines such as migraine is just a headache it is not Migraine is a disease and the headache is a symptom.

A migraine headache is always on one side of the head not so many are on both sides of the head.

Some of the most popular MISINFORMATION is Stress and Caffeine are triggers for Migraines when in fact these are triggers for Tension Headaches not for Migraine.

Most physician are not even current on Migraine information and research because the average physicians PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) is 7 years old which is ridiculous you would think they would buy new ones...makes you wonder what else they are missing doesn't it.

MAGNUM MIGRAINE AWEARNESS GROUP: A NATIONAL UNDERSTANDING FOR MIGRAINEURS is a very good site.

I hope you find some relief soon,

<font color="blue">Karen :)<font color="blue">

6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

It's funny that this is the site you brought up! I was there this morning. Their view is quite different from the other sites I looked at. I will keep doing my research.

I'd rather think it was caused by stress so I could make them just leave me alone at work!! LOL

I need to get the barametric readings and see if that is affecting me. Weather is one of the things I am tracking in my journal so we will see what comes up.

Thanks again!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

PS: Just checked the barametric pressure and it is 28.8 and falling. I don't know what that means, but there it is![This Message was Edited on 08/21/2006]
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

do check on those barometric pressure readings they can really mess with you.

Yes MAGNUM is different from most sites and the most up to date on migraine research...IMHO

I just check the pressure here and it is 30.14 for me when it starts to go below 30 I get a pretty bad migraine. Is it raining there by any chance?

I will try to find you some good research article on barmetric pressure migraine.

Best wishes,

8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

No rain and it better not! My DH cut the hay yesterday!!

It's been hot, 90 to 105, which is pretty warm for Central Washington. It's dry, humidity today is 18%. Dry heat, you know, like sitting in your oven! The heat isn't really a problem for me I stay indoors and we have AC everywhere I have to be.

So what's it mean when the barometer starts dropping? Or rising for that matter? LOL!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

9. kjfms

kjfms Member

here are some good articles if you want to take a look at them.

http://www.relieve-migraine-headache.com/barometric-pressure-headache.html

http://www.achenet.org/news/older/062004.php

The National Headache Foundation is also a good resource:

http://www.headaches.org/consumer/registration.jsp

Good luck,

10. ckball

ckball New Member

I do not suffer from migrains but my best freind has on and off for years.

They had money problems for awhile and they gave up their internet service for about a year.

They got it back about 2 months ago and her migrains have increased. She believes it is the computer screen.

She likes playing a pinball game and it will trigger one.

I told her about a food journal but she doesn't feel hers are food related.

I hope you find out what your triggers are. Do you use a computer at work or maybe the flourencent lights? Just a thought- Carla
  11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I use a computer at work, but don't have one at home. I am on it quite a bit here.

One of my light fixtures in my office went out about 6 weeks ago and I like it that way. I have one wall of windows so I don't lack for light without that one. I do work with the light off when I can.

Can't play pinball! Man, anything that moves fast is too much for me. A lot of commericals pop pictures up really fast and I can't look at the TV when they do that!

Thanks for your help!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

12. kjfms

kjfms Member

Most barometric migraine are triggered when the barometric pressure falls this may explain you migraine.

Do you see a neurologist for these? You may need to change medication that is what I had to do several years ago.

Topamax has helped me.

Karen :)
  13. jake123

jake123 New Member

I agree with the thing about no pinball! And I use reading glasses that are tinted when I use the computer.

Definitely see a neurologist about the headaches. They are more up to date on headaches. If Imitrex has quit working then try Relpax. Maybe try some Topamax - it works pretty good for me, also Nortryptilene and a herb thing called Migravent (they have their own website).

I prefer to prevent the damn headaches if I can than to let them take over. All those pain killers just depress me. Sure hope you can find relief.
  14. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I do see a neuro but for my seizures, not my migraines.

Now that you said that I wonder if the seizures have anything to do with the migraines or the other way around. Have an appointment with him in September and will ask him about that. Have seen two different neuros for migraines over the years and got no help. My GP treats me now.

I've been on Lamictal for seizures for several years, take Effexor for depression, Inderol for blood pressure (not high, but have to have controlled BP to take Imitrex or Maxalt), and Estradiol (hormone).

I wish something over the counter would work! My DD can take Excedrin Migraine and lay down in the dark for a few hours and usually get hers to go away.

I noticed when I was reading at several websites that it says not to use Maxalt or Imitrex and Effexor together. Need to talk to the doc about that.

I really appreciate all this imput! Keep it coming!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

15. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I, too, like Magnum's site. They believe migraines are a disease, not a symptom of eating the wrong thing, etc.

Mine are much better since I entered what I call "instant" menopause (caused by cancer chemo), now I have them only occasionally. But you've had a hysterectomy, and that obviously didn't make much difference for you. I never found any particular foods to be a trigger---certain smells, though, could set me off (Sharpie markers, for example, or lawn fertilizer). And I think barometric pressure changes definitely caused some for me. Otherwise, I believe mine were mostly hormonally-driven.

Hope you find some answers---mine usually responded well to Maxalt (like Imitrex) with an occasional dose of Vicodin.

((Gentle Hugs))
    Pam