Migraine meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I used to take Imitrex and now take Maxalt for my migraines. I've had them since I was in my early 20's. Normally I can control it with the Maxalt and it is pretty much gone after about 3 days. If the Maxalt doesn't work I usually end up getting a shot of demerol and sleeping for two days. That is my normal scenario.

Now I've had a headache off and on for nearly a month and the Maxalt works so I guess it is a migraine? The pain is the same, it just doesn't seem to want to let go this time. I've had experience with rebound headaches in the past, but this is just different.

So, the question is; Do these meds ONLY work if it is a migraine or do they work for other headaches also?

Thanks, All!

2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hello Greanbean,

I suffered many years with 1,2,and 3-day headaches. Then, tere was Maxalt. It is a wonderful headache med. Sometimes, I can take 1/2 of a small tablet and it will relieve my headache.

I don't know if I have migraines or not but that's what my Dr. says.

I do hope that headache goes away; I know how painful it must be.

Take care,

3. cordy250

cordy250 Member

I take Imitrex, which has proven to be miraculous for my migraines, but mine pretty much only last 12 hours, regardless.

When the doctor was talking to me about it he told me to take it for any headache, so I'm thinking maybe it is supposed to work for other types of headaches than migraines, but that is just my guess from my interpretation of what he said.

I hope you can get a handle on your headaches. I had a slight migraine today but got stubborn about taking the meds because I had just had a worse one a couple of days ago, so I toughed this one out. Kind of stupid, I know, I just get weird about taking so many meds.

I'm never sure which is worse, taking meds or letting the headache run its course. Recently I heard that migraines may actually be doing damage to the brain.

Who knows? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

There is one medication my doctor gave me - shoot I can't remember the name of it, begins with an R. He said, it will work IF you are having a migraine. If it doesn't work,that means the headache is not a migraine. So that might be true for other meds as well. I'm certainly no expert. I have learned I don't have true migraines but used to get terrible tension headaches. I am now on Topamax and have only had a few headaches since starting taking it at the beginning of Dec. last year. Topamax is used for many migraine patients also. I actually starting taking for my Fibro with a side effect being help with the headaches.

I'm sorry you suffer with such horrible headaches. I can't imagine how awful that is. I've had some doozies - but thankfully they don't last more than a day or two.