Migraine Meds

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greenbean7, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I posted this on the fibro board and got no response so I brought it over here!

I used to take Imitrex and now take Maxalt for my migraines. I've had them since I was in my early 20's. Normally I can control it with the Maxalt and it is pretty much gone after about 3 days. If the Maxalt doesn't work I usually end up getting a shot of demerol and sleeping for two days. That is my normal scenario.

Now I've had a headache off and on for nearly a month and the Maxalt works so I guess it is a migraine? The pain is the same, it just doesn't seem to want to let go this time. I've had experience with rebound headaches in the past, but this is just different.

So, the question is; Do these meds ONLY work if it is a migraine or do they work for other headaches also?

Thanks, All!

2. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I was put on Midrin about 2 weeks ago for Migraines. My nurse practitioner gave me the script and referred me to a neurologist. Saw him just this morning.

He gave me a script for Zomig for migraines. Plus he gave me a script for Desipramine (which I can not take) for constriction headaches caused from muscle constrictions in my neck. PLUS I have positional vertigo caused from calcium deposits in my inner ears.

I have headaches EVERY day, I have migraines sometimes, and I am dizzy everyday. I'm confused, sick of all of this and don't understand any of it.

The Midrin did NOT touch the headaches I get everyday, and that is a migraine med..... So I'm not sure if yours will.....
  3. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

I used to take Midrin and that seemed to help for me until it stopped working all together. I've tried Imitrex also and that made me feel like I was having a heart attack, so I can't take anything that's even like Imitrex.

But then again I can't take my vicodin for cramps- it doesn't touch the pain. But if I take Ibuprofen that works (of course I have to take about 4 at a time). And the ibuprofen doesn't help with fibro but the vicodin and soma etc. help.
    Just giving you different scenario's to explain what I'm trying to say. So maybe it won't help with just a really bad headache.
    I would call a pharmacist and ask what they think might work and then call the doc. Pharmacist know chemically why things work and what might work for your situation.
    Sorry I seem to be talking around the situation but I'm in a fog today with alot on my mind. Hope this helps. Take care!
  4. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I tried taking Maxalt and I had a very bad reaction so I can no longer take that medication. That being said you really should only use the medication for the "bad" migraines because it will start to loose the effectiveness when you do get a bad migraine. Did your dr. try Topamax? It is a medication that you take daily that helps eliminate some of the migraines. It did help for me in the beginning but no longer works --- I've been taking it for 2 years. Also, the dr.'s believe the Topamax was causing my hand tremors which isn't true since I stopped taking the Topamax I still have the tremors.

Have you tried just taking OTC Excedrin Migraine? I take that when I just have a migraine that is just hanging on but not becoming a full fledge migraine. Also, I found Gatorade at the start of a migraine helps me as well. I've been suffering from daily migraines for many, many years and what has helped a lot is taking Tizandine (muscle relaxer) when I go to bed. It eases the muscles in the back of my head where the migraines start.

Keep us informed and let us know if you find something that helps.
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Over the counter stuff just doesn't touch it. I do take a muscle relaxer at night, but doesn't seem to make a difference either. This is the first time I've had daily headaches like this (however I did not have it yesterday and so far so good today!).

I do not want to go on Topomax because I don't want to be on another every day med. Since the migraines had been spaced out, about 4 to 6 weeks, doc and I didn't feel that Topomax was the answer.

So, back to the same question. Do the migraine meds only work on migraines? Since the Maxalt works, does that mean that these headaches are migraines (they feel just like my "regular" migraines, just everyday unstead of spaced out)?

Thanks for all your input!

BILLCAMO New Member

Here's a natural approach that's very good for sinus headaches and does provide relief to some people with migraines : Peppermint Oil(PO).

Pure Peppermint Oil can be found at most cake decorating shops and a few stores. Peppermint extract does not work as well.

A small amount of PO under the nose , above the eyes , and on the temples can provide some relief. I've heard that if the migraine starts at the back of the head or neck that a small amount there can help. (I can't verify the last one from experience.)

Blessings ,

7. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I have almost constant migraines if I don't take Topamax. I take 150mgs twice a day as preventative. It is supposed to stop the migraine before it starts. And it does pretty good. I still get them a couple times a month, but that is not as bad as every day! My migraines are so bad, the front of my head behind my eyes and my temples hurts like it is being squeezed by a giant pair of pliars! And I can't bear lights or noise of any kind. It is a horrid migraine, I swear! Thank God for Topamax! It has been so good for me! It does have some side effects, like it makes me forget how to do simple things like spell words, or add up a check book. It does make me a bit dopey. But I'd rather be dopey than have horrible migraines!

Talk to your doctor about Topamax if you are interested.
    I hope you fine some relief whatever you choose!
    I'll pray for you!

Your Friend,
  8. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I can definately tell the difference between a migraine and a headache. I occasionally get a headache, take an ibuprophen and I'm good. A migraine is totally different.

It starts with intense pain over my left eye and nausea, then the pain travels over the top of my head and down my neck making the back of my head too tender to lay on. The inside of my skull burns like it's on fire. Light and any noise, even the tv in the other room are excruciating. By the time the pain gets to the back of my head I am throwing up and often have diahrea also. The pain is so intense I cannot open my eyes and the slightest movement causes pain that is unbearable.

I've often thought that just putting my head under a truck tire and letting it pop might relieve the pressure.

I've tried so many things it's exhausting. Everyone seems to have a theory. It's kind of like all the people who offer "cures" for fibro. You know they mean well, but it gets so tiring trying to go through the litany of things you've tried.

I would like to try Botox but as of now my insurance won't cover it. I've heard of other people who have had good luck with it also.

I'm really discouraged, guess you could tell, with changing everthing in my life and still having migraines! Just really really tired. But the migraine did finally go away (must have been all the positive feedback from ya'll!)this past weekend.

Thanks so much for your support, encouragement, and advice. Sharing these experiences really does make it all a little easier.

9. ABLUV

ABLUV New Member

I have a girlfriend who says her migraines got worse with age. She says chocolate brings them on. She takes Noni juice and it keeps them away as long as she drinks that but
    when she allows herself to run out or skip a few days the migraines come back. You can take Noni in pill form too; the juice taste AWFUL!!

Also, there may be a connection between soy products and migraines. Soy increases estrogen. Increased estrogen can sometimes bring on migraines and other neurological symptoms. Check your food labels for soy; food industry is using soybean oil in all kinds of things such as breakfast cereal and even ice cream.