Migraine question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheryl, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I seem to be getting migraines more frequently and they seem to be worse then before. They last longer and it takes more imitrix to ease them. Does anyone else seem to have this progression. I think I could deal with the rest better if I could get rid of these migraines. I take care of a 1 year old and it is getting harder because of this problem.any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks much,
    Hugs, Sheryl
  2. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I seem to be getting migraines more frequently and they seem to be worse then before. They last longer and it takes more imitrix to ease them. Does anyone else seem to have this progression. I think I could deal with the rest better if I could get rid of these migraines. I take care of a 1 year old and it is getting harder because of this problem.any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks much,
    Hugs, Sheryl
  3. TracyV

TracyV New Member

I had a bad flare with FM. They only seem to get worse for me and more frequent. I have found that the older med. Midrin works as well for me as the newer ones. My phranist also said many people have went back to it and have better results than the newer meds. It is a lot cheaper.
    Hugs,
    Tracy
  4. KLynn

KLynn New Member

i had sooo many trips to the Emergency room with migraines im surprised they didnt have my name on a lease there.....I used the imitrex injections.....the pills.......nose spray....and they just got more frequent.....so what i finally did that helped tons was i took 4-200 mg ib profin (thats 800 mg at a time) every 4 to 6 hours everyday for 3 months.....sounds like a ton of pills and it was but.....my doctor ordered it for my ankles and it helped my head too.....atfer i did that for 3 months my migraines became much less frequent and when i first begin to feel the pain behind my eye i take four ib profin and it knocks out the pain almost everytime.....i havent been to the emergency room for a migraine in 5 months.....which is wonderful for me.

~KLynn
  5. fibolady

fibolady New Member

same problem here. they do seem to be increasing in number. my doctor wants to send me to another doctor (neurologist) i know some are hormone related (tried estrogen patch which made it worse)they would come before my period. then they started coming after, go figure. but always, every month. the last 6 months they have been coming whenever they feel like it!

some have had good results with taking the herb feverfew. i tried this, but for me it did not do the trick. there is supposed to be a new feverfew nose spray out, i have not found it yet. cindy (herblady) could help with this.

i too take imitrex and midrin, usually switch between the two as not to develope a tolerance. my last one lasted over a week and i was ready to go to the er (i know i should have gone earlier!)

currently i am working on trigger points in my neck. if you pull up the search you will find the trigger point book and some more information on this. i am hopeful this will ease some of the headaches.

feel your head pain,
    warm regards, fibolady
  6. allhart

allhart New Member

ive had migrians senice for 20 years now ask your dr about midrin the imatex dosent seem to be working anymore that happens also he might want to send you to a neuro and have a mri to make sure that nothing eles is going on thats normal to so if he sugguset it dont worry but you need some relifechildren and migrians dont mix belive me i have 5 i know how you feel,
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

How old are all of you???
    If you are between 35 and 50 you should know that during the perimenopausal period your migraines will often get more frequent and last longer. The good news if you have this type of "menstrually-related migraine", is that they may go away entirely once you are through menopause. I had only one migraine per month, every 31 days, from age 13 to age 37. Then they slowly increased until I was having 6 or 7 per month and each lasting 2-3 days by the time I was 43, when they started going down again, as my waistline went up! By age 45 my migraines were all gone. I am 51 now.I was then able to go off narcotics and stay off them. Of course, if you are only 20, or already past the change, just ignore me!
    As far as what to do about them, I had a dangerous reaction to Imitrex,which my Rheumy prescribed. My Neurologist says it is the most dangerous drug ever let lose on the market. He will not allow his patients to use it. For me, the only way to get rid of one was to go to sleep, and I took a sleeping pill (Restoril) and a strong antihistamine that is used in sedating people for surgery (Phenergan) and Darvocet, and that always worked. I still use Phenergan when I have such bad neck or TMJ pain that I cannot sleep.
    Klutzo
  8. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Very interesting. I am 46 and until a few months ago only had about 1 migraine a month always right before my period. Now they come more often. Maybe it is related to the perimenopausal stage. Thanks for the heads up and I will do more research on this subject.

To Everyone else:
    Thanks for your responese and suggestions. I will try some as the imitrix use does scare me.

Hugs, Sheryl
  9. KLynn

KLynn New Member

my migraines usually came around my period also....im 27...the imitrex always made me feel worse for the first 30 minutes or so.....my neck and jaw would tighten soooo bad and i couldnt move until that passed....but after it did the migraine went with it....i havnet had to have an imitrex shot for a very long time now......i started getting the starts of a migraine everyday.....you know when it just starts to come and you feel it getting here....but the ib profin helped if you take enough...i only have to take ib profin about 3 or 4 times a week now for them. if taking ib profin 800 mg 4 to 6 times daily after 2 weeks of this it works as an anti inflammatory.....other wise its just a pain releiver.

~KLynn