migraine update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibolady, Nov 7, 2002.

1. fibolady

fibolady New Member

just wanted to let the board know of "finally" some relief from one of my frequent migraines. (the last one lasted for a week and someone posted i should have gone to the er, how true)

yesterday morning i awoke with a terrible one, and just happened had an apptment with a new general practioner doctor who my ob/gyn referred me too. he was great. i had already taken 2 imitrex, ultram, advil before i arrived. he gave me the spray imitrex which did nothing. then, he had his nurse give me a shot in the "butt" of toradol (sp?) finally, relief.

he seems to be very proactive and talked to me about trying an approach where we would do preventive meds instead of after the fact. although, i don't won't to be on more meds, we will see. i go see the neuro in december, so wants to see me after that.

although, we discussed my meds i was on, he was referring to the fms as muscle problems (so i think he is one that does not believe in fms, but i think he will help me with it) i did ask him not to write the fms on my charts because in the future i might be responsible for getting my own insurance and have heard stories of insurance companies denying coverage if they see fms.

warm regards, fibolady
  2. fibolady

fibolady New Member

just wanted to let the board know of "finally" some relief from one of my frequent migraines. (the last one lasted for a week and someone posted i should have gone to the er, how true)

yesterday morning i awoke with a terrible one, and just happened had an apptment with a new general practioner doctor who my ob/gyn referred me too. he was great. i had already taken 2 imitrex, ultram, advil before i arrived. he gave me the spray imitrex which did nothing. then, he had his nurse give me a shot in the "butt" of toradol (sp?) finally, relief.

he seems to be very proactive and talked to me about trying an approach where we would do preventive meds instead of after the fact. although, i don't won't to be on more meds, we will see. i go see the neuro in december, so wants to see me after that.

although, we discussed my meds i was on, he was referring to the fms as muscle problems (so i think he is one that does not believe in fms, but i think he will help me with it) i did ask him not to write the fms on my charts because in the future i might be responsible for getting my own insurance and have heard stories of insurance companies denying coverage if they see fms.

warm regards, fibolady
  3. karen55

karen55 New Member

I've taken Toradol in the past, but not for migraines. As I understood it, Toradol was a pain reliever/anti inflamatory - someone correct me if I'm wrong. I was given that after abdominal surgery years ago, and it did help.
    When I was younger I used to get migraines 2 to 3 times a week. At one point a neuro put me on some preventive meds, can't remember the name of them, but I had a reaction and could not take it. I'm sure there are new meds out now, but I don't get migraines frequently at all anymore. I know several people who take preventive meds for migraines with great success. Maybe that would work for you.
    Also, I feel the same way you do about the FMS being documented in your medical record. I am terrified of not being able to get medical insurance whenever I leave this job, with my medical history, and I don't need another nail in the insurance coffin, for sure!
  4. fibolady

fibolady New Member

thanks karen for the input. wanted to bump up to see if anyone else "takes" toradol" for migraines and any information on what i can expect with the "preventive meds" that they would prescribe you.

[This Message was Edited on 11/08/2002]
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Don't know about Toradol, but I was on Inderal as a preventive for 7 yrs. It works for this, as I think all beta-blockers do, but it causes a slowing of metabolism that can result in weight gain, depression, low energy and hair loss. It can also make it somewhat harder to save you if you have a bad allergic reaction, by blocking epinephrine. I lived with all this because migraines are even worse. I know I don't have to convince you of that! Maybe you'll get lucky like I was and have your migraines disappear when you go through menopause. I had "menstrually-related migraine", which the doc says is the most painful and most dangerous type of migraine, but also the type most likely to go away after menopause.
    Good luck,
    Klutzo
  6. fibolady

fibolady New Member

since i already have low energy, situational depression, hair loss (due to stress), and sometimes full blown depression i don't think going this route would make any sense. plus, my blood pressure is always low.

i'm getting nearer meno, 45 soon, wish it would hurry up and get here. maybe i'll just check in to get that shot when needed because it really did the trick!

thanks for the input. i'd rather hear any drug reactions from a living person, you don't know exactly what to believe with so many doctors in kahots with drug companies!

it seems you have experienced about everything, i am sorry for you but you are very helpful to a lot of people here!! :}

warm regards, fibolay
    [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2002]
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Just confirming that inderal does work as a preventative, but has those darn side effects.
    Toradol....is the only drug that moderates the pain of passing a kidney stone (which is excruciating)....its right up there on my list of miracle drugs.
    Karen