migraines and fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by brisklea, Jun 23, 2006.

1. brisklea

brisklea New Member

Hi everyone I just found this wonderful site. I was diagnosed with Fibro a year ago and then told well we cant help you. I also suffer from migraines which became severely dibilatating about 5yrs ago (the same time I started having Fibro symptoms). I was wondering does anyone have good diet and supplement advice for me right now I take several supplements but my diet is very restricted as everything seems to give me a headache. Any advice would be appreciated especially DR referals in the Albany NY area. Thank You all!!!
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I take Maxalt for my migraines; with mine, I've never found a tie-in with anything like foods I eat or products I'm exposed to. The only thing that seems to be a factor me is a change in barometric pressure. Mine DO seem hormonal, though, and now that I've been through menopause, my migraines have definitely decreased in frequency & severity. No supplements have ever seemed to make a difference for me, but that doesn't mean that there aren't ones that could help you.

I don't live in the Albany area anymore, but graduated from the College of St. Rose (too many years ago to mention). I always loved the Albany/Schenectady/Troy area----my best friend lives in Scotia, and unfortunately I don't get back as often as I'd like to visit her.

Welcome to the board---post as often as you'd like!

Hugs,
    pam
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Food/ nutrition never seemed to be a factor for me either. I get more migraines in warm/hot weather, from 2-3/month to almost daily in the summer. I've tried Topamax, but since fatigue is a big factor in my health, I had to stop them so I could function for my kids. Instead I keep taking my Imitrex and they work just fine. I've had migraines since I was 3 yrs old, but they changed character after I started getting sick(er) in my mid-20's.

There seem to be a heat intolerance involved with FM, and if you have that plus migraines in general, it tends to hit if you expose yourself to hot sun. We also seem to become dehydrated VERY easily, and that itself can be a trigger. Sports drinks (clear liquid) are good for keeping a decent fluid balance in your body.

Welcome to the board!
    [This Message was Edited on 06/23/2006]
  4. Sparkgirl

Sparkgirl New Member

Belledonna and Nux Vomica seem to take the edge off a migrane ...Maxalt takes the pain away completely with no side effects, at least for me..but it's so damn expensive!

luv,
    Sparkgirl
  5. bakersgirl

bakersgirl New Member

Hi all,

I just found this site.
    Anyone else here from England?
    I have FMS and my one remaining symptom is migraine, and myofascial head pain. it's bad and frequent. The m igrianes come every 5/8 days and last 3 at a time.
    I havent found any links with food, they used to be linked to hormones, now, I just dont know. They come on so suddenly I cant deal with them.
    I am not sure if they are part of the FMS or not. What does anyone else think?

BG
  6. jesfms

jesfms New Member

my headaches are due to myofascial dysfunction in jaw...causes whole head to hurt...most often caused by stress and grinding of teeth..have better control since starting baclofen, a muscle relaxant
  7. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

First let me say Welcome to the boards!

I can relate to getting migraines. I have suffered from chronic headaches since I was a teenager and started getting migraines about 6 years ago.

My migraines always attack me at my left temple and most of the time they are triggered by stress or certain foods.

I have had to pretty much avoid all of these foods cheese's of all kinds, chocolate, breads, cured meats, chinese food, certain fruits, nuts and caffeinated beverages.

Even though beverages say "caffeine free" most of the time they are not i.e., coffee, tea, cola's because these products still carry a small amount (five percent or lower) which doesn't require makers to list the caffeine.

Peppermint oil or even Vinegar can be rubbed on the forehead to help relieve a headache and as always a cold ice pack helps me.

Meds like Maxalt and Relpax (Triptans) relieve my migraines but shouldn't be taken often.

P.S. The search bar in your upper left corner is very helpful. Try typing in Albany,NY and click title/content which will pull up any previous post.

Hope this helps.

carolin
  8. rmsjohns

rmsjohns New Member

I found that nothing triggered them but hormones. I kept a diary for years. After using all the medications, I had to do something to keep my job. I was losing between 2 to 10 days of work a month.
    The straw that broke the camels back was when I missed 10 days, went to the DRs 4 times, had shots two days in a row. Came back to work with all the notes, and got a failing grade on my review. Stating my work was not acceptable, by a new boss. I never in 10 years had anything under excellent at skills and my achievements. I was crushed, not only were my other bosses upset when this Department Head told them, they started flooding her with cc emails thanking me for specific things I did for them.
    About a month later, I was scheduled for a hysterectomy and I didn't go on hormone patches right away. I put the patch on, and instant migraine, I ripped it off after 15 minutes and washed as much as I could off. I have never had a migraine since. And it has been 2 years.
    I was only planning on having my ovaries out, but they found a mass in my uterus so I had the full hysterectomy and I was so glad.
    Now after 2 years, I suffer with Fibro and Reactive Arthritis. I am also having my first bout of costochondritis. I don't know which is worse, the migraines or the rib pain.
    MK
  9. brisklea

brisklea New Member

I have heard from several people that a hysterectomy is the way to go but with the fibro I am a little nervouse about the recovery. i have started taking Xooma which is a mineral sachet you add to your drinking water. It has helped me so very much. My headaches are down from 18 /20 a month to 10/12 a month . I noticed I am sleeping better and feel much less stiff especially in the morning. I have also lost seven pounds. I am not able to excersice right now but i bet when the kids go back to school and I start again I will lose some more. I only take Imitrix now as none of the prophalactic treatments worked. The DR doesn't know what else to try now but I feel better than I have felt in a long time so for right now I am focusing on natural non invasive solutions.Best Wishes to you
  10. jake123

jake123 New Member

Have you been to a neurologist? Mine has been adjusting my meds for about a year now. We have hit on a good plan. I am getting headaches but they are not bad, just a 2 or 3 on a pain scale. I take Relpax, Topamax, Phenergan, Skelaxin and Indomethicen. I also take a herb capsule called Migravent that I buy off the internet. It contains B vitamins, feverfew and butter burr. My neurologist recommended it.