Migraines and Gluten

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by jaminhealth, Apr 13, 2014.

1. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

I've never had a migraine, and I don't think I'll ever get one. My aunt had them as I grew up, remember her days of going to bed in a dark room in the middle of the day.
    I know my aunt ate TONS of gluten laden food in those days, as did I.

Some on another board I'm a member of, claim that eliminating gluten has really helped with their migraine headaches. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find a lot of gluten elimination info. I do my best to keep it out of my body but I'm not perfect there.....gluten is in so much.
  2. Soul*

Soul* Active Member

For me it's sugars that set migraines of and chocolate, coffee, alcohol, yeast, peanuts and even carrots for a while but that got treated succesfully. Also fruit sugars like when using a pure fruit sirop or eating high sugar fruits like grapes or any melons other then watermelon. Or dried fruits or honey or maple syrup, and the hormones cause them too.

I haven't noticed any improvements when eating gluten free. But it's definitely worth to do an elimination diet of some sort to try and find out what triggers your migraines to those that have them in case it is food related.

Mine started round age 11 or 12 when hormonal changes started to take place and I only found out when I was like 28 or something that for a great deal they where caused by food for me. It seems that when the hormones are acting up I'm more oversensitive to foods that trigger them. And when health is low hormones on it's own will cause them no matter what I do or don't eat.
  3. jaminhealth

I was just saying what one person reported by eliminating gluten products....probably a good thing to do anyway....my snack choice is pretzels and when I feel a little rich I buy the gluten free ones and they are SO GOOD.....the wheat pretzels, major difference.....

Sugars have no good health purpose and TOO many negative health issues.....staying away as much as possible is best.....carrots are high sugar veg. I had a pretty bad reaction with peanuts a couple yrs ago, lots of PAIN and so I never buy them.....high allergy nut and mold related....

As it's said" Foods can heal or foods can kill....

And as I'm aging too rapidly but we all are, I want to keep as healthy as possible to my end w/OUT drugs, too many many older folks take way too many drugs....I also have NOT brought bread into my house for over 3 yrs.....just sauted a rib eye 5oz steak in coconut oil and used 3 romaine lettuc leaves as my bread....feels so good to be rid of breadstuff....

When young I could do it all, not NOW....
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  4. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Active Member

Hi Jam,

Just curious what brand of gluten-free pretzels you buy? I haven't found any "healthy" ones in the stores!

I was buying the Snyder's brand -- but they use corn starch, potato starch, sugar (dextrose), soy, etc.

Then I tried the Glutino brand, and they also have the corn, potato, soy ingredients.

Just wondering what you munch on.........

I'm always looking for new suggestions!!!!!

Thanks,

Diane
  5. jaminhealth

Diane, we just can't win, can we? This last bag was Snyders and sure enough corn starch, soy crappola.....I give up.....If you find a really healthy gluten free pretzel, shout it out......jam
  6. jaminhealth

How about Kay's Naturals gluten free pretzels....trying to find if corn is added.

They are available at Giant Eagle, Albertsons, walgreens so their site says.
  7. ConfusedInPA

OK, I will JAM!

I miss snacks -- like the chips and pretzels. Sometimes you just want a handful of "something" sinful.

I haven't found anything, like that, yet. When I do, I'll share!!!!

Diane

I'll google the Kay's, Jam. Let me know what you find out!
  8. jaminhealth

I sent them an email re: corn added....can't seem to escape soy no matter what....
  9. ConfusedInPA

Jam, I meant to get back to you on this, but it skipped my mind!

I googled Kay's Naturals. Specifically for the PRETZELS.

The first ingredient listed is "soy protein isolate." Followed by "corn starch."

Grrrrrrrrr.

They also list "PUFFS" and a "SNACK MIX" on their website. Same ingredients.

Still looking.......... Will share with you when a find a "good, healthy" snack.

Diane
  10. jaminhealth

Mary's Gone Crackers....check out their site. Just talked to a lovely lady at their 888# and she gave me the names of pretzels and crackers with the LEAST corn/soy in them....the curry and jalapeno pretzel, the sea salt has tamari in them....

I'll probably bite the bullet and buy a couple/few bags next week and take the taste test....they are VERY healthy....

They are in a small town north of Sacramento and one gets a discount immediately with first order....... shipping can be $5+ Amazon may sell them. Haven't checked that out yet.....WF and health food stores I don't think so. jam
  11. jaminhealth

Well, I just found out the Coop here in santa monica sells this line....they were the 1st health food store in SM and a coop...so I'll be heading over there soon and get a couple of Mary's products...they carry only the sea salt pretzels, but maybe I can convince them to bring in the curry ones and give them a try.
  12. ConfusedInPA

Thanks Jam. I looked at the Mary's Gone website. I've had their crackers. They have them at my Giant Eagle. I'm going to have to see if the Giant Eagle stocks any other of the products, such as the pretzels. Or for an indulgence, maybe a box of their cookies. Everything sounds yummy, and healthy.

The only crackers I've had are the "original seed." The other varieties sound tasty too.

I've got to go to the Eden's Market (near where I live) soon. They specialize in gluten free products.

Thanks for the heads up about Mary's website.

Diane
  13. jaminhealth

I think I had a box of Mary's crackers a couple yrs ago and will be heading to Coop maybe tomorrow and get a new little stock and try the pretzels this time......glad to hear Giant Eagle has the line. jam