Migraines for past 30 years

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by acheallover, Feb 21, 2006.

1. acheallover

acheallover New Member

Unfortunately, I have experience Migraines for many years. I always got a migraine pre-menstrual, every month like clock-work. When I reaced menopause, I still got them 1-4x maybe every 6months. Now, thank god just once in awhile. I just had one two weeks ago, excruiating. I had started a cranberry juice (pure) with lemon water liver cleanse. Day three of this cleanse bought on the headache. I saw my accupuncturist and masseuse. Both helped, but I came home and soaked in a hot tub. I took Head-Q (chinese herbal) but that did not touch it. Finally during the early morning hours, I took two codeine's and a Benadryl 25mg. Broke the headache, thank god. I am noticing if I have any sugar before I go to bed, I will get a headache. In the past, I have used Indocin, Codeine, Darvocet N100. Darvon, Vicodin, etc. Darvocet works the best, but my Doc. acts like I will get hooked. The most Darvocet I have ever taken in one month is maybe 5. Oh well, enough all-ready, I am really enjoying this board, you all have such wonderful spirits, blessings to all, Phyllis
  2. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

Hi, I've been taking magnesium for several months and its helped me allot, I've had Fibro head aches as well as all of the other pains .
    I read up on it and it says that head aches can come from magnesuim defecency.I told my little 75 year old neighbor lady about it and shes been taking it for 3 weeks and has had no migranes at all.
    She has at least 2 per week, and stays in bed and has vomiting with hers. She called me to tell me she thinks its the answer cause shes never went this long with out a headache. So please try it, its been a God send to me.
  3. deb06

deb06 New Member

I suffered from migraines long before the diagnosis of fibro. I was on imitrex successfully for years but then it quit working. I was just on my pain pills then and it did not help the migraines much and I was always bedridden with them. I have just recently been put on RELPAX and it works well. May you could try it yourself. It would be very expensive without good insurance though. deb
  4. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

Hi Phyllis, I understand what you are going through. I have suffered from Chronic headaches since I was a young teenager and started suffering from migraines a few years back.

I tried so many different meds and various narcotic meds with no relief.

I started seeing a neurologist and he has helped me the most. We found out my blood pressure was causing a huge portion of my headaches and I was placed on a BP med which is also used as a preventative migraine med. The only bad thing is that it is a Beta Blocker and these block adrenalin.

There are a couple of meds that still help knock out a migraine for me and that's Fiorinal & Maxalt.

When I still get a migraine I get a ice pack and lay down until it eases which usually takes 72 hours.

I hope you find relief and wishing you blessings in return.

Lindy
  5. caroleye

caroleye New Member

There's a machine that some chiropractors have that is fairly new. Called the Photonic (think that's it).
    Works for alot of pain, including migraines.

Google for practitioners near you. Don't use if you have Lupus as it's a "light" (infrared) machine. Totally non-invasive.

LIGHT**********carole

P.S. I'll check for the correct name & P.S. you
  6. caroleye

caroleye New Member

It is the Photonic Stimulator.
  7. caroleye

caroleye New Member

It is the Photonic Stimulator.
  8. mary124

mary124 New Member

There is vitamins that I take, its called Vitamin Formula for Migraine (name depends on where you get it) Vitamin Shoppe has it) I get my at Peoples Pharmacy-local place)plus I take Topamax. Between these two I haven't had any headaches in 6 months.
  9. marw

marw New Member

Have had severe migraines for 25 years. Imitrex Injections work wonders for me. These are a class of drugs called "triptans" and there are others, in pill form, too, that might work for you in that class.

Soon I am going to post my Migraine Diet. If you follow this diet, you will have far fewer migraines. (I'll try to get it up this week.)

margaret
  10. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i was getting migraines 4 to 6 timea a week. they were so bad that i would end up in bed in a dark quiet room and no pai medication would work. now i take topamax and nuerontin every day and i only get about to migraines a week. i know that sounds like a lot but compared to what i was getting that is a big improvemen. also the severity of the headaches is much less. i no longer wind up in bed and advil or hydrocodone now work to get rid of them.
    rachel
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

which you can get via the computer had a good program with a neuro on this week all about migraines. bring up BBC RADIO, then click on Radio 4, then click on health. If you do not already have a realplayer you can get a free download in a few minutes.

You may want to go ahead and favorite this site as they have a tom of useful helath programs, plus some jolly good books and plays, also on Radio 7.

I think the migraine program ws on Wednesy, but you can "listen again" at will for seven days after broadcast. Plus they have some older archives you can click on.

Good luck, he had some new treatments and dismissed a lot of old ones too.

Love Anne C