Migraines just suck the life out of you

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lauralea443, Mar 14, 2006.

1. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

I have been getting really bad migraines now that I am Pre-Menopause, geez what fun on top of craps and FM.

Thank god I know how to laugh at myself. My sister gets them real bad too and she just started a headache diet, which seems soooooo limited, but if it helps, well I guess I'll drink water and eat air.

Laura
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Lauralea443:
    I used to have that problem during that change in the cycles of my period. I always felt worse when eating and I kept it simple. Thank goodness it is over. Big time problem with hot flashes also. I never thought they would stop.
    Well, it is all over for me. Good luck through this change.
    hugs,
    NyroFan
  3. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

Sorry you're having so many. When I get migraines I can't do anything but lay in bed & cry. Let us know if diet changes help, I'd be interested to know. My grandmother gets frequent migraines, often related to food allergies.

Take care!

Leanne
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

iT WIPES YOU OUT. 14 HOURS AND HEN it lifted to headache "only". WOW.

I think I am going to try and get Fentanyl lollipops that are said to work on migraines or that stuff you spray up the nose.

However. I have to say someone posted here last week to try two glasses of Gatorade for migraines. I did mix of Pediolite and gatorade(I hate teh coloring in latter) but it worked pretty well. I guess it is the pottassium salts.

Lov Anne C
  5. jake123

jake123 New Member

Fentanyl does work extremely well AND it works quickly but you also need Toradol to sooth those inflammed blood vessels in your brain.
    I had to get a shot on Sunday. I could feel when the Toradol started to work, there was just a wash of pain over my brain that was a 9 for sure! then no pain at all, my head was clear as a bell.
    I take 225 Topamax at am and pm and it works very good I think but sometimes one gets away from me. I usually take Relpax.
    I am going to take biofeedback this summer.
  6. Mria

Mria New Member

I have gotten migrains for the last 14 years, and have not found anything that helps when I get them but shots. If you find something that helps would love to hear about it.
  7. kch64

kch64 New Member

My mom used to get them for three days before each period.

After menopause, they quit completely.

Something to look forward too maybe.

K.
  8. ma2alex

ma2alex New Member

I've got to tell you, I get them too and bad ones. These are the things that help me: first, I take Topamax to prevent. Then, if I do get one, I take 1 percocet, 1 phenergan or Zofran (depending on the time of day- Zofran keeps me awake) and one Relpax. If it has not subsided in 2 hours, I will take a second Relpax and sometimes a second percocet. Finding this recipe has given me my life back as my migraines used to send me strait to bed for several days. I am really fortunate though, because I get auras with mine, which give me a warning period to get the medicine in.
    Good luck,
    Dawn
  9. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

Prevention is the key for me!!

I began taking Topamax over a year ago to prevent my migraines. I had 3-4 migraines per week prior to taking this med. In the past year I have had 5 all together!!!!!!

Topamax is a medicine that has been found to prevent migraines though it was not made for that purpose. I ran across it during some research on the internet and then really began to look into it. I then went to my doc and asked him if I could try it and he said " Sure, in fact , lets switch your Anti depressent also"

To make a long story short, I went immediately to Topamax and Cymbalta with great success.

When I did have migraines two things SOMETIMES helped
    1. Imitrex
    2. Two Tylenol, Two Ibuprofen and a Coke/Pepsi
    (this is the combination most MD's take for a bad
    headache, and they informally prescribe for
    migraine.)

If you suffer from migraines on a regular basis, I would beg your doctor to let you try Topomax. A full dosage is 400 mg a day. I ONLY TAKE 25 MG A DAY and it has helped me tremendously! Ask him if you can just try a very low dose and go from there. I am totally amazed at this prescription drug and fear the day I can no longer take it.

Blessings to you, I know that pain is unreal!
    Maia
  10. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Hi Laura,

I have FMS and the newest part of my body to flare up was my head. OUCH... terrible migraine headaches! I have had chronic sinusitis for many years, but never had a migraine until recently. My ENT wanted me to have a neurological evaluation.

OK,I did. The neuro. sent me for an MRI of my brain. He said, there wasn't anything wrong with my brain. I didn't understand it, cause I was in SO much PAIN!

He put me on Topamax, starting with 25 mg/week, increasing it 25 mg every week. I had read on this website, how it had helped so many people, so I was optimistic. Of course, I was anxious to GET out of PAIN! I was up to 6 per night.

The doctor told me to report any side effects. I said, like what? He said, like getting sleepy. He didn't want to mention what the side effects were, cause some people start imagining side effects that aren't there, according to his office manager. Feeling sleepy is almost a given. The side effects I did have, I did NOT know that the medicine was causing. I had mentioned them to the doctor, but he didn't seem to flinch. I developed a yeast infection (not uncommon for a person with FMS) except I also got it between 2 of my toes! I also had lots of blood, coming out of my nose (when I blew it). It was BAD! This was going on for weeks. I see an allergist and asked him to look at my nose (told him I was on this new medicine also) and he said, oh it is just the effects of winter's heat setting in your nose. He saw 2 scabs. He recommended I use a saline gel (with a lubricant) instead of plain saline in my nose. I didn't think to say, I never had intense blood constantly coming out of my nose in past winters. Hmmm. Mind you, it wasn't gushing like a nose bleed, it only came out when I blew my nose. However, when I blew it, there was plenty to fill up lots of tissues. I am wondering, if my sinuses were bleeding, was my head or brain bleeding too? It is scary to think of! My headaches were worse. I woke up with headaches and went to bed with headaches, everyday. He said, he would like to put me on other medicine too, but I needed to stop taking Effexor before that could happen. Twice I actually broke down wailing (crying) like a baby. I am a mother of 2 teenagers. I had NO idea why I started to burst into tears. This was a new thing for me. The first time it happened, I had called the doctor and told him my head was throbbing all around, and he never seem to think it was a "side effect". After I calmed down, I explained to my children, that was NOT ME! They didn't really understand what I meant. I said, it was the medicine I was taking that made me act in a way, unlike myself. This happened almost a week ago.

I was desperate and started to wean myself off the drug myself. Not being on it, actually helped me to feel better than I felt in a very long time. Just beware, listen to your body and your heart!

I do NOT trust this doctor at all. He NEVER seemed to listen to a word I had said. It was more than frustrating. I told his office manager, who was very understanding. She asked me to please give him another chance. Anyway, I know, I have to be my own best advocate. Maybe he wd. be a good doc. for someone else, but NOT for me.

I spoke to my yoga teacher and she went to a neurologist who was patient, spent time listening to her and she got a great feeling from this doctor. I have an appt. with this new doctor tomorrow. He may NOT have an ans. for me either, but I hope he will TRY to help me.

Bottom LINE... If your doctor recommends Topamax, be sure to report anything unusual.

I hope my comments will be of some help to you. Good luck in your search for answers.

Feel Better.
    Cindy
  11. joc_07

joc_07 New Member

Hi Laura,
    I started having migraines at fourteen when I started menstrating. By the time I was sixteen the Dr. started me on birth control pills because of my 8 day long painful periods and that also took away my migraines. I have only had 2 small migraines since that time. Can your migraines possible related to your hormones? You could ask your Dr. about trying some kind of hormone therapy.

Here's a website that explaind headaches and migraines:
    http://www.reutershealth.com/wellconnected/doc97.html

Jocelyn
  12. Slangx

Slangx New Member

My neuro tried me on Topamax about 6 months ago. I started with the 25 mg, with instructions on how to increase over several weeks.

Well, I only got 3 days into it, because all 3 nights after I took it, I couldn't control my legs/feet! You know, like Restless Leg Syndrome? Just like that. It was unbearable, I couldn't possibly get to sleep with that going on.

So I didn't continue the Topamax, just kept with my regular pain meds and Imitrex shots.

Recently it's gotten to where I've needed rescue several times a week, and sometimes the Imitrex shots didn't even work, so I went back to my neuro. She said I really have to be on a preventative, so she gave me Zonagram (?) this time. I'm still on the 1st week of 25mg dose right now.

I don't know yet what I think of this.
    C.
  13. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

for the information, I have some research to do now LOL.

Yes these migraines are Totally due to hormones, due to pre-menopause. Trying to work with my doctor, but it's hit and miss. Hey sounds like FM treatment LOL

Laura