Migraines

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lauralea443, Feb 21, 2006.

1. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

Has anyone had pre-menopause migraines?

This just started about six months ago or so, but my doctor thinks I've probably had them for a long time but not as sever.

I tried Imetrex (SP) couldn't take it bad side-effects, now i'm on Maxalt, it's okay but doesn't last long. I need to take an extra dose. These Migraines last for 9 days.

My doctor may try something else, but these migraines are hell....... and then along with cramps oh what fun.

Almost cant wait for menopause to just come already. LOL

Thanks
    Laura
    [This Message was Edited on 02/21/2006]
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

your hormones checked?
    I get migraines, but more from muscle tightness in my neck and shoulders.
    I use to get cyclical migraines. I eat vegetarian diet, low bad fats, higher good fats, take primrose and borage oil, calcium/magnesium, and good multi with high b- complex. Those helped me.
    B vitamins and feverfew are good, if you take supplements.
    I tried Relpax and Imitrex, they didn't work for me.
    Know I take Valium and darvocet with a muscle relaxer for my migraines.
    You might need to try a few things,I would talk with your doctor and get some samples.
    Wishing you the best.
    Claudia
  3. jake123

jake123 New Member

If you typed in Migraine at the subject line above you would have enough information to fill a book as big as War and Peace!
    I've had migraines for a long time. Menstrual migraines, daily migraines, tension migraines, etc. I am now going to a neurologist for treatment. We are using a "preventative" protocol instead of a treatment.
    I take 225 mg Topamax am and pm. This is what works for me, you have to experiment, start small and just take what works. I also take Relpax, 3X a week only. I also have Indomethicin to take, it is an antiinflammatory but it helps alot. And, I have Skelaxin, a muscle relaxant which is also very helpful. And I have Phenergan because 95% of my headaches start out with nausea.
    I've been to about seven doctors until my TMJ dentist sent me to this neurologist and I really like him because he tries so hard to help me. Lynda O
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

As the others have said migrains are illusive. I have also suffered with a variety of headaches for most of my life. I take different meds for different headaches. I get a caffien headache which is an easy cure (coffee). Monthly headaches are managable with advil/motrin if I catch them early. Tired headaches only go away with sleep and so on...

The big ones are hit and miss. Fioricet was one of the more successful meds I've taken. I agree with the phenergan Rx as it keeps the nausea away. Even if the headache doesn't induce vomiting the meds often will.

Good luck finding comfort.

sofi
  5. neen85

neen85 New Member

Nothing else worked for me. Daneen
  6. Cakeart

Cakeart New Member

gave me Frova for my migraines. My instructions were to begin taking it the day before I expected my period, and to continue until it ended. This really helped me. i could not take imitrex as i was allergic to it. Ask your doc, I hope it helps.

God bless you, cakeart
  7. CinCA

CinCA New Member

And did since my early 20s. Interestingly, it was around when I started taking oral contraceptives to regulate very heavy periods (I also was dx'd with depression shortly afterwards), but no one ever made the connection, despite the migraines and mood swings being like clockwork with my cycle. Both "mysteriously" went away as soon as I went off BC and got pregnant with my now 4 y.o. daughter (and I now use an IUD).

I now get migraines somewhat during "that time" but also when I've been doing detox treatments (I have CFS) and/or my body does a "toxin dump" (releases a bunch of toxins for elimination at once, a problem for me). I got a really bad 5 day (long for me) migraine last week, after I had started exercising vigorously again. Sure that stirred stuff up.

Imitrex used to help me, as well as Maxalt, but now nothing really does. Sometimes high doses of magnesium will help, and if it's triggered by a low blood sugar thing/hunger, downing a quick coca-cola (non diet, full caffeine) sometimes can stave off the worst of it. But honestly, I usually just deal with them, as I've gotten quite used to dealing with pain over the years and the migraines have been so common and stubborn over the past year or so. I've even tried major pain killers (Ultram, Darvocet, etc.), and all they've done is increased the nausea while doing nothing for the pain. But painkillers always have worked weirdly for me (I know as I had 4 knee surgeries).

I'm still in my 30s so I haven't hit the menopausal stuff yet, but I've always been sensitive to hormone swings, so that will be fun! I know there are a lot of new drugs out there, as well as some that supposedly can help prevent migraines. Have you talked to an endocrinologist, etc., as you say they may be tied to hormones/pre-menopause?

Best of luck, and let us know if you find any answers! Hang in there!

C.
  8. marw

marw New Member

Try taking FROVA. It is in the Triptan class of drugs like Maxalt and Imitrex, but it is especially formulated for long lasting headaches or recurrent heahaches.

Mine started after the menapause....still have them...but Imitrex shots work for me.

Good luck. I know they are horrible. I hope you find something.

Margaret