mike, breathing exercises?????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sofy, Mar 7, 2003.

1. sofy

sofy New Member

Mikie, breathing exercise????????? 03/07/03 08:56 AM

Went to our library and punched in breathing exercise and came up with zero. Our search engine is not very good. What would I look under to find the exercises you were speaking of? Thanks
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think now that I probably got this article from Dr. Cheney's own website. I did a web search and couldn't find the website I used before.

Basically, the exercise is that one takes a deep breath and then puckers the lips and very, very slowly exhales through the pursed lips which provide resistance to exhaling. The longer it takes to exhale and the more resistance one can use against exhaling, the better the exercise. It takes a little time to work up to a very long exhale. I just take three or four of these types of breaths off and on during the day. Try to completely empty the lungs on the exhale.

Love, Mikie
  3. sofy

sofy New Member

sorta like exagerated yoga breathing
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The difference is the amount of resistance used in Cheney's exercise. This is supposed to mimic breathing at high altitude which over time is supposed to make our systems more efficient at utilizing oxygen in our bodies. I do find doing this not only invigorating, but it also has a soothing, relaxing effect on my mood.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are a lot of people with poor circulation which equalls poor oxygen in the body. Perhaps this little exercise will be of help.

If nothing else, it really does calm and soothe.

Love, Mikie