Mikie, a question RE: the red tide

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KayL, May 19, 2003.

1. KayL

KayL New Member

I know this is totally off subject here, but what exactly is the red tide you've been referring to? And on which coast of FL is it? The reason I'm asking is because I've paid for a house rental on Cape San Blas off of Port St. Joe on the western, Gulf coast of FL from May 31 to June 7, and this has me concerned. Thanks........

Karen
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Can show up most anywhere, but it does seem to favor the Gulf coast here. It moves around with the tides and currents. They carry the algae blooms to the surface where they dry and blow ashore. The spread of the toxin inland depends on the winds aloft.

People have posted that they get Red Tide in the Atlantic states up North too. What is unusual this year is that the Red Tide has remained so long. It usually is here or there for a few days and dissipates. Some are more sensitive to it than others. It's been found along the Gulf Coast from St. Pete Beach down to Naples in the South. I believe the further South one goes, the worse it's been.

I'm not familiar with where you are going. Perhaps you could call to find out whether they have had Red Tide problems. It can be really bad at one beach and totally fine at the next one. Inside, with the A/C on, it's not as big a problem.

Love, Mikie
  3. KayL

KayL New Member

about an hour south of Panama City Beach, and 30 minutes north of Apalachicola............. guess I'll need to check it out, but it's non refundable at this point...........

Thanks.......

Karen
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I haven't heard of it up that far although it has been know to exist in LA, so there's no guarantees, but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. One of the worst problems we've had this year is fecal contamination in the waters on our beaches. My kids were swimming over on the East Coast north of Miami and the beach was closed the next day. Yikes!!! At least, it's good that they check how healthy the waters are.

I have heard that the beaches up in the panhandle area are some of the most beautiful anywhere. Don't worry and try to have a good time ejoying our lovely state. BTW, bring jackets for when you go inside. Restaurants and other public buildings crank the A/C up so that you will freeze inside.

Love, Mikie
  5. KayL

KayL New Member

It's the same way here in S. Louisiana.

As for the beaches, I've been going to FL since I was a kid and I LOVE the beaches there. The great thing about Cape San Blas is that it's just *raw* beach - no high rises or anything like that, in fact, you have to drive into Port St. Joe or south to Apalachicola to find a restaurant to eat in. AND it's a dog-friendly beach!!!! We love it there, not crowded, just miles of clean beach.

I'm relieved to hear we shouldn't have a problem there with the red tide, though. Hubby's parents live in Delray Beach, and the last time we went down that way in 1999, we couldn't go into the water there, and we went on to the Keys from there and couldn't go into the water there either. Quite a disappointment.

My hubby and I would really love to move to FL one day.

Karen
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I vacationed here for years too and finally, when I was so sick in the winter in Colorado, I said, "I'm moving; I've had enough of this."

Funny thing is that the dryness and smog in Denver gave me constant sinus problems, bronchitis, asthma, allergies, and even pneumonia. Down here in the heat and humidity, I don't have any of those things. If it weren't for this unusually long seige of the Red Tide, I would never have allergies here.

For the first three years, I was allergic to the Melaleuca trees when they bloomed and they bloom about three times a year, but they no longer bother me. I'm also allergic to mold, but it doesn't bother me here either.

I hope y'all enjoy your trip.

Love, Mikie
  7. KayL

KayL New Member

till the 31st! We rented this same house over Thanksgiving week and my inlaws met us there. I really need this mental health break, as well as the physical relaxation.

My hubby is from New York, and was living in the DC area when I met him. He's a beach lover too, but he was in awe of the sugary sands of Florida. The beaches really ARE beautiful there.

I'm hoping I'm feeling well enough to snorkel this time!!

Karen

[ advertisement ]