MIKIE...a question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bigmh, Jul 3, 2006.

1. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Mornin' Mikie...you mentioned the Roadback Foundation to me a couple of weeks ago. I have mentioned that I have some of the symptoms of RA...some swollen joints...pain in all joints, although no redness. My blood work is normal though...sed rate is relatively low. So my doc thinks I may be sero-negative for RA.

I have been on courses of prednisone lately, and it has helped tremendously...the background pain described above is gone. The muscle pain of FMS remains. Because of my dramatic reaction to prednisone the doc is thinking RA.

That said, do you think the antibiotic protocol of the Roadback Foundation would be appropriate to try? I gained 10 lbs in 2 months on prednisone, and I don't want to stay on it for all of the other side effects either. I would love to know your opinion since you have been on an AP for a long time.

I hope this note finds you feeling better. Thanks again for your help.

Love and blessings, Ann
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry for all this joint pain. I really think giving the antibiotics a try is well worth it. While neither is something we really want to have to take, I think of the two, steroids are the worst. If you respond well to the ABX, you will know that they work and you and your doc can set up a plan. Bacterial infections can invade the synovial fluid of the joints and cause pain and swelling. Infections like Lyme and mycoplasmas can invade almost every part of the body and can be the devil to control.

Just my uneducated thinking, but if the alternative is steroids, I think you have little to lose in trying the ABX. Good luck to you and I hope you can find help with this.

The Red Tide is down and I am feeling better but still on an inhaler and still tired. I have gotten some things done today which is a huge relief. I'm running a temperature, so the mycoplasma infection is obviously taking this opportunity to try to reactivate. Thank God my doc understands my need to fight it with the Doxy when it rears its ugly head. He just wrote out a new Rx for it.

Let us know how this works out and I'll keep you in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  3. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Mikie...thanks for your insight. I am going to research it further after I get back from seeing my daughter. I am (Lord willing) leaving on Thursday and will be gone for a week. I agree with you that it seems like the AP is a better choice than the steroids.

I will continue to keep you in my prayers and hope that you feel better. Thanks again for your input. I value your opinion as a veteran!

Love and blessings, Ann
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Ann, I hope you have a great trip and feel well.

Dancing, thanks for the reminder about the antibiotic qualities in garlic. I know it can really help and many prefer not to take ABX, especially, long term.

Love, Mikie