Mikie- about my little dog

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ozgran, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. ozgran

    ozgran New Member

    Took my little Susie to the Vet today. By now she has two very red eyes and is doing some vomiting. News is not good. Her blind eyes are dying and not producing tears. My only options are $50.00 Aus every 3 weeks for the rest of her days, removal of the eyes or to have her put down. Vet says she is in a lot of pain which is why she wants to be sick all the time. Doesn't want to do the surgery as she is old and it would be a big shock to her. So I have to make a BIG decision.He told me to give her a couple of quality days while I think about it. Have another little Silkie (Sassie )and she is 14 years old. She is in good health. She will miss her half sister tho'. Anyway, just thought I would let you know. Feeling sad. Ozgran.
  2. phenom

    phenom New Member

    from one aussie dog lover to another - big hugs! i'm sorry your pooch is sick...hope all works out, no matter what your decision.

  3. Kathryn

    Kathryn New Member

    Is this your regular vet? Do you trust him? Is a 2nd opinion in order? It is good that he gave you the medications to keep her comfortable while you decide what to do. I often think that life spans are the opposite of how they really should be. Our loyal and loving animals should have lifespans longer than ours so we would not be faced with these no-win decisions. As a devoted animal lover, you have my prayers.
  4. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    I am so sorry to hear this, especially that she is in pain. My prayers are with you as you make such a difficult decision.

    I ask St. Francis of Asissi, the patron saint of animals, to come to you both in this, your time of need.

    Love, Mikie
  5. Bambi

    Bambi New Member

    If this one won't give you a reduced
    price for the medication ask him who
    might. They know each other and they
    know which ones are most likely to
    take sympathy on a patient who just
    can't afford the medication. It's worth a try.
    Hugs, Bambi
  6. ozgran

    ozgran New Member

    I was becoming quite set in my mind that I would have to have Susie put down as my husband said if things were going to be too expensive we could not afford it. BUT when he came home, he went out to see her, came back and said, she's a good little dog, get the treatment, it's only money, we will copesomehow. So have been back to the vets today and got the meds. He has been great with advice and even rang a Specialist Vet in another state for the best advice for me. We are going to try the meds for a couple of months. If she worsens, then we will not let her suffer. But I am happy for now that we are doing the best for her. She has been happier today herself and giving me lots of licks. I think they know so much. I will say my prayers to St Francis for her. Thanks again to you all. I will let you know how we go. Love Ozgran.
  7. Bambi

    Bambi New Member

    I have five dogs, four are getting
    way up in age and one is controlling
    seizures with aspirin..thankfully it
    works, one baby aspirin morning and
    night and a Pepcid with it. I will be
    devestated when ANY of them go so I
    know how you feel. I hope the meds
    work great!