Mikie and others..learning to feel well?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stillafreemind, Mar 4, 2003.

1. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

Hi, I am thinking that I read on here about someone, I think Mikie, was going somewhere or doing something to learn how to feel well.

This intrigued me then and I have thought about it many times since. Could you please fill me in on the kinds of things that you do to learn to feel well again? For some reason, this made some kinda sense to me.

Thank you so much...Sherry
  2. JP

JP New Member

Great post...

I am writing a book on chronic pain right now and much of the theme is on living well. It is a challenge at best for those of us with persistent pain and complex symptoms. I am having probably the worst time ever with my illness and a whole new can of worms has just been opened with my endocrine system...anyway, here are a few things that I do on my journey.

1. Give something to someone else everyday...it might be a kind word, or a task, or something that you know will make a difference in another life. They will know too.

2. Do the same for myself...for me; it is a walk with my dog when I am able. When I am unable to walk I have a list of other things that give to myself.

3. Enjoy nature everyday...I have my office window facing outdoors. I feed wild birds and hummingbirds. I can enjoy nature everyday of the year at my window. I have a couple of House Finches making a home about 6 feet from my desk. I go to nature when I am able.

4. Love my body, mind and soul in a conscious way each day. I use this experience/illness as a teacher. I would like to be well, and I'm not well. My lack of wellness is the main reason for writing my book. I teach what I need to learn and if I can make some positive difference for another, it will be worth my efforts.

5. Gain some freedom from my body by practicing distraction. I use medication and distraction to work on taking mini breaks from my body. For example, I am acutely aware of the pain in my body at this moment and I am putting my focus on writing this note. It softens the pain and has my focus on a positive task.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for and I hope there is something here for you...thanks for the post...Jan
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My therapist says that when someone has been ill for a long time, he or she forgets what it is like to be well. She said the brain and body have memory which can be awakened. She would have me lie comfortably and go into a relaxed state. She would tell me little "stories" with very graphic visualizations which helped me get back in touch with my own coping mechanisms. For example: I can make my problems into light fluffy feathers and blow them off my palm into the breeze which takes them away. Sounds silly? It works. One woman here puts her troubles into the bubbles she blows and when the bubbles pop, the problem is gone.

One scenario had me sitting at a control center where I could adjust the dials to be in control of what is happening in my life. Whenever I felt as though my illness is gaining control, I can visualize tweaking my dials and taking control over the situation.

Some of the sessions were designed to integrate the mind, spirit, and body.

Now, lest y'all think I'm just doing a little voodoo of the mind and hoping it will heal me, I will tell you what I am doing in addition to this mind work (for anyone new who hasn't already heard my regimen).

I will soon be on the Guai treatment two years; Sky and I started two days apart in mid-May. The Guai treatment has worked wonders for both of us. It almost immediately help with my dense Fibro Fog. Over time, it has helped the pain to the point that I rarely have to take anything for it.

I do flexing and stretching exercises I learned in physical therapy to keep me strong and flexible. I also swim and walk when my health permits. I love to lift lighter weights to keep my arms toned and strong as that seems to be an area of weakness when I'm not doing well.

I take Klonopin to help me get quality sleep, diminish sensory overload, and do away with anxiety/panic attacks. There is a new study which is trying to determine whether Klonopin also helps disturb the pain signals in the brain, thus helping with pain as well.

Despite "normal" lab results, I was suffering from symptoms of hypothyroidism, so my doc put me on 25 mcgms of Synthroid. It has helped my fatigue (I also have CFIDS) a little and I just feel a little better all over when I'm on it.

I am finishing more than a year on antibiotics because I suffer from a stealth chronic version of the infection which triggered my illnesses. I was recently able to go two weeks without the medication and without the symptoms' returning (chronic sore throat, low-grade temperature, IBS, migraine-type headaches, and swollen lymph nodes).

My diet has changed to a high-protein/low-carb diet because I am insulin resistant. I have lost 24 pounds on the Suzanne Somers diet and feel much better.

Finally, I try to rebuild my immune system by taking the ImmunePlex denatured whey and colostrum sold here.

I plan to regain at least 80 percent of my former health and am hoping to return to work at least part time this summer. I do not believe there is a single, magic bullet which will heal us. We need a very comprehensive integrated approach to healing. My regimen may not work at all for others, but I would bet that at least one or two of the things I am doing would help.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important thing: One must absolutely find a way to reduce the stress in one's life, even if it mean making some pretty drastic changes. My wellness hypnotherapy has been a real help in reducing my stress.

Love, Mikie
  4. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I appreciate the advice and will keep this post to refer to.

Do you know of any books on this subject? For some odd reason..as the physical side of things seem to improve slowly..I keep getting this feeling that my brain is the last to kick in and realize that I am better. Not brain fog..just brain not being aware that the body is feeling better. Does this make sense to anyone?

Anyway..thank you so very very much. I will implement some of these things in my daily life. ..Sherry
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think you are correct and I believe that no matter how hard we try to remember who we are, we slowly begin to identify ourselves with what he have rather than who we are. We need to get back in touch with what gives our lives meaning. I find it helps to keep a gratitude journal and find five simple things each day to be grateful for. I makes us recognize the abundance in our lives which has nothing to do with how we are feeling. Pretty soon, feeling abundance comes as second nature to us. The "Simple Abundance" book is good, but I think we need to be more actively involved in this process than just reading. There is something about writing things down that makes an impression in our brains. Research has shown that we needn't actually experience something positive to have our brains react positively to it. We can imagine a pleasant experience and our brains will respond positively. If we write about positive experiences, the impact is that much stronger.

Love, Mikie