Mikie and others taking Klonopin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dee50, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Hi all. I've been doing so much better. I've got a life now!
    I asked my doctor to start me on Klonopin at my last visit. I handed him Dr. Chenneys notes on Klonopin. I said if this Dr. is right I need to be taking this med. He said ok and we started at 1/2 a 0.5 mg. at bedtime only. It's Clonazepam the gen. eq to Klonopin.
    My doctor will not let me take it during the day time because of passed mood swings I've had. He is worried it will bring me down to low mood wise. I'm on several meds now but they are giving me quailty of life. I'm still on the Guai too.
    Love. Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2006]
  2. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Clonazepam helped me with quieting my brain, racing thoughts which mostly disturbed me at bedtime interfering with my ability to sleep. I felt wired..... I am on 0.5 mg. before bed.

I had been put on the usual fibro meds over the course of 25-30 years in dealing with the FMS that were thought to help FMS symptoms. I learned through trial and error they really did not help me, so I would stop them, these were pain meds, muscle relaxers, tricylic antidepressants.....in my body, garbage.

Consequently was reluctant to try Klonopin but was in a desperate situation and felt I had no choice. Have been taking it two years now.

I did the same thing you did, brought the report to my PCP, not the rheumatologist...I seldom see her.

It is wonderful you have a doctor to respect you and will work with you. Unfortunately, we are the researchers, we need to push them.

June
  3. libra55

libra55 New Member

I take Klonopin .5mg at bedtime. If I am stressed or really can't sleep, I am allowed (per doctor) to push it to 1mg but no higher. It has been the best medicine for me.

I don't take it during the day because it knocks me right out.

Michelle
  4. kalina

kalina New Member

If I was stranded on a desert island and could only have ONE med out of my vast arsenal :) I would take my Klonopin. I don't normally take any during the day, but I take 2mg every night. I take the generic form, too.

June, I'm glad you found something that helps!

Kalina
  5. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

I also have been taking Clonazapam. Its the best medicine I am taking as it quiets my restless legs. Its been a G-d send, and I take 1mg. 1 hour before sleep.

Good for you, you have been a wonderful advocate for yourself.

Blessings,

Arlene
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Dee50:

I have been on Klonopin 1mg. three times a day and it has helped me tremendously. I would not do with out it.
    Good medicine.

nyrofan
  7. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I am actually still on it, but am weaning off. It worked great for a long time, but then it stopped working and I had to increase numerous times. I found it was starting to work against me, so I am getting off.
    It is a very hard medication to get off of. I did fine till I got down to .125mgs, and then I started to have withdrawl. I did it very slowly too. I went back up to .25mgs, .125mg in the am, and .125mgs in the pm. I have cut my am dose in half and that seems to be ok so far.

Hope it all works great for you!

Raz
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Over the last two and a half months, I've slowly weaned down from one mg to a half milligram of Clonazepam, the generic version. I take it every night just before bed, and it works well for sleep for me most nights.

I remain a bit concerned about becoming dependent on it long-term, though, and the fact that, for some people, it is difficult to get off of.

Kholmes
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Klonopin has a long half-life. It lingers in the body more than Xanax, Valium, Ambien or the others.

Believe it or not: Klonopin gets stored in the body tissues of women and it takes them longer to detox if they (with the doctor's approval) chose to.

Mine is for panic/seizures at night (I twitch somewhat like RLS, but the whole body slightly.)

I really believe it is a 'wonder drug'. It can help so many problems and remove the stress that one may find are blocks to removing the the problems one has.

And simply it can take care of nightime seizures, where other meds can not. And it is long lasting, not like the others (good for their own purpose). If lingers in the body longer and you can go longer before you feel the need to take it.

Just my half cent.

nyrofan

10. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Thanks for sharing with me. I'm glad my doctor is letting me try this drug. I'm falling asleep much faster and I'm clearer headed in the morning. Thanks again for talking with me about Klonopin (Clonazepam). It's so nice to have a life again!
    Love,
    Dee50
  11. spacee

spacee Member

that Klonpin slows down Alzheimers so much that we would die of something else first. If that is true, that would be something else good about it.

I have taken it for 18 years. Have weaned off at one time for 6 weeks, realized that I really did need it for skin pain. Now take 1 gm at bedtime which is less than I starte with at 1.5.

Hugs,

Spacee
  12. AbbeyMae

AbbeyMae New Member

I am also taking generic Klonopin(clonazepam), which is in the benzodiazpine(? Spell) group of drugs.

My Medicare part D does not cover any benzo.'s Thank God it is reasonably priced with my AZ Copper Card(Rx America). I pay at the moment of $5.99 for 60 1mg. But Osco has been bought out by CVS Pharmacy, and they are closing the store near us. I hope Walgreens will not be much more.

At first, just like all my pharmaceuticals, they work in the beginning but I have built an unbelievable tolerance to it. I was Rx'ed 1mg. at bedtime and 1/2 a pill twice a day when needed for anxiety. I have been on this drug for 2 1/2 years.

Now, I have been weening off my meds also very slowly, 1/4 of a normal dosage at a time. They just do not do what they use to. I have that chemistry of building a tolerance, even non-addicting meds. If it doesn't do the trick anymore, then why take it.

Flexeril and Klonopin(generics) worked great at first but not anymore. I went to see an herbalist last Monday and he examined my blood under a microscope, stating I had bacteria cocoi, virus, candida, mycoplasmas, echinocytes, fungal forms, neutrophillic viability, parasites, protoplast, and reactive lymphocytes. Talk about an overload.

I will post/thread this another day. But in one week, I am having less pain, therefore less pain meds. I am on a regimen that I will share later.

Love and hugs and hope you don't build tolerances like I do.

AbbeyMae

13. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I truely thought I was having a nervous breakdown before started the Clonazepam. I was a ticking time bomb ready to explode. In fact, I did explode on a pain doctor that told me there was no such thing as Fibromyalgia.

He told me that I was out of shape, and depressed. At that was were my pain became a problem.

That DR called me a firecracker as I left. I started seeing a Therapist and she recommended Clonazepam.

I am stable now, and couldn't be happier. I'm so glad Klonopin is working for you. It really does make a difference.
    Angela
  14. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i hope it will help tonight,,,i ma having nerve skin pain...and i am so so sensitive to little noises...anything...my nerves on my shoulders are itching again...

anyways...ever since the drug plan d came out...and i got my medicare in december '05...i am not complaining that i have some insurance...

but medicare won't cover my klonopin...and i have medi-cal insurance and the states pay my premium....thank good ness the state covers my med...but i have been on klonopin since mid april and everytime when it comes ot needing it refilled...

i end up w/o any for about a week...now i am flaring and in alot of nerve skin pain...and migraine headaches...yikes

jodie
  15. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I just want you all to know that I'm reading all posts on this thread and thanks again for sharing. It's scary for me to be on meds but with out them I had no life and was stuck in bed sick ect... all the time. Now I can do simple things again. I don't seem to have any bad side effects from the Klonopin only good. I feel more rested in the morning when I wake up-that's a new one!
    Take care,
    Love,Dee50
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And so many others. Like many here, I have tried to wean down and when I hit .75 mgs., I get so nervous and jittery that I go back up. I wean very slowly but that seems to be the point at which I notice the symptoms coming back. Dr. Cheney says that when one no longer needs it, there should be no problem weaning off. If he is correct, and the Klonopin/clonazepam is protecting our neurons, I will be glad I have been on it.

I agree about being on an island and only being able to take one med. The Guai would be a close second, but I have to have my Klonopin. I sleep so well on it and wake up alert and refreshed. It controls anxiety/panic attacks, sensory overload, tinnitus, muscle spasms, and it helps with pain. For me, it truly is a wonder drug. I'm glad more and more docs are being sensible about prescribing it.

Love, Mikie
  17. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

Geez -Louise I can take up to 4 .05mg a day. My doctor says I am intelligent enough to know what I need but he sets the perimeters.

I have taken Klonopin for many, many years for stress, anxiety attacks, racing thoughts.

I can take 1 one day or 4 the next and never get the shakes but I can tell they help.

My friend takes 1 to sleep and has desperately trying to wean himself off them. He has RLS. He told me if he took the amount I took he would be totally knocked out.
  18. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

You are all so lucky the clonazepam works for you. Wish I had the same results.

I have tried it several times and each time, I break out in a rash on my face and the next day, my eyes can't focus (not good when you're bookkeeping!). The doctor never heard of the facial rash as a side effect, but apparently some people get the blurry vision.

I use ativan/lorazepam which works pretty well for sleeping (1 or 2 of 0.5 mg at night), but I worry about building up a resistance to it.

As usual it's a learning experience reading all your posts.

Sue in Ontario
  19. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try to get my doctor to let me try Klonopin in the morning and afternoon maybe next month. I'm happy I tried this drug. Thanks again to everyone for sharing your thoughts with me.
    Love, Dee50