Mikie and Shirl re: rules

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lynda B., Jul 22, 2003.

1. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

You two are constantly repeating the rules every two or three weeks. It must drive you nuts and I am sorry you have to waste time explaining this over and over.

I have always thought the where it says "Messageboard Rules"
    in blue was very small. I think it ought to be bigger and bolder. Some sites even require the new member to read the rules and consequeces before signing on. This is, of course, done on the honor system. One has to assume the new member reads the rules before signing.

Plus we get sooo many new members every week. We have all of other stuff in bold black letters which stands out--why not the rules and the consequences. Just trying to make a helpful suggestion for you two. I am probably preaching to the choir but wanted you to know I appreciate all that you do and that anything that can be done on the format to lead eyes to rules would be a good idea.

Lynda B.
  2. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I agree that the link to the rules does not stand out. If you asked me right this minute where that link was located, I honestly could not tell you. I would have to go search for it. I think when everyone signs up, they should have to read "basic" rules before they can post. I don't mean 49 sentences either, just 4 or 5. Just the facts, ma'am, that way all newbies would remember them!

Marilyn :)
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Thank you for your concern. Yes it would be nice if the rules were printed in bold print or out front when you sign in. That would make our jobs a whole lot easier, and better for the new members also.

The reason Mikie and I are always reminding new memebers to read the rules, is because we sure don't want anyone getting banned for posting URL's.

We usually know when its a solicitor, but we are not the only moderators on these boards, some are more strict with this particular than we are.

I will take both your suggestion and Marilyn's to James.

Hopefully we can get the rules in plain English and short and to the point.

That would be beneficial to everyone.

Thanks again Lynda.

Shalom, Shirl

4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I just want to second, or third the motion made by Lynda! As a teacher I learned that when making rules it was important to keep them short and to the point, just as you said. When they get too long no one bothers to read them and therefore they don't know what they are.

I think this could be especially true for people with cognitive problems such as those found in CFIDS and FMS. I know I often don't read things that are too long because I get completely lost in them.

Barbara
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Do I ever know what you mean! I went to the grocery tonight and when I got home I was surprised at some of the things I bought, and then remembered what I forgot! I had a list too.

I will make that clear to James, I think numbering the rules would be a very positive idea along with making then short and to the point. I am going to run this pass Mikie, she always has some great ideas.

I tend to remeber things that are numbered easily for some reason...............

Shalom, Shirl
  6. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

but I'm one of those people who rarely read rules, even if you have to read them before you can "continue". I figure most of them are common sense.

I did finally read the rules after awhile (guess I was curious after seeing Shirl & Mikie mention them for the zillionth time). So, in cases like mine, making the link bigger wouldn't work. But that actually may help for others! Also, I think numbering them would make it easier to read/scan. (I used to be a technical writer, so think that's a GREAT idea. If nothing stands out it looks like just too much to read, so people either don't bother or get frustrated and don't pay much attention.)
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To get a "Welcome Page" here which greets new members before they go to the boards. It could have a place to click on so that it would not come up again each time someone logs on.

I believe the rules are very difficult for those of us with cognitive problems and need to be made simpler. Perhaps they could be recapped in the Welcome Page in an easy-to-understand manner.

I am going to e-mail James with all these posts and ask again that ProHealth consider this.

Love, Mikie
  8. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

Shirl, I thought the idea of numbering was GREAT.

The fewer and more concisely worded, the better (also the easier to interpret the better because of our brain fog at times.)

Mikie, I also have always thought it would be nice to have a Welcome Page that did include the rule that you only say once when signing on. So many sites are run this way and I am sure to read whatever I am signing up for.

Thanks for the effort, again.

Lynda B.
  9. Notonline

Notonline New Member

It would take up room on the board...might not be a good thing. But what is the first thing you look at when you sign on...? The first post. Always could make them a "sticky post" if need be.

Danny

[ advertisement ]