Mikie .. board help please? If you feel up to it..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tunes, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Tunes

Tunes New Member

Hi Mikie,

Thank you for the advise you've given thus far. Dara and other board members has helped as well, both with their questions and posts, but I'm still somewhat in the land of the lost. I'm going to try to paste a my reply to Dara's message. Please remember .. if you don't feel like tackling my muddle, don't. Eventually, I'll probably get the hang of it all. Here goes with the paste try:

Hi Dara,

Thanks for the email notifications relating to the board.
    It has been confusing for me. Mikie did tell me to do a search under my name. Sometimes that works.

I still get messed up though. When people reply, for instance, you. The Title is required. Your title is: Hi tunes .. just wanted to let you know

And I read in the directions, to keep the "threads" the same, I think. So .. when I reply back to you, and others, I've been confused as to what thread is what?

Are we supposed to always use the original post thread? Or, use the thread which the person replying has made? Or are replys not considered a thread?

My times on the board generally are governed around thunder storms, or most recently out of commission entirely with the modem issue, and the ever present issues we all deal with day to day. Some days are better than others. Some hours are better than others.

Today while reading other's posts, and going back a few page(s) of posts, I found you under the "Urinalysis Report ..." on the 2nd page. I posted that more than two days ago. ?? More than two pages ago. ??

I'm beginning to wonder if my elevator just doesn't go to the top floor anymore!

Anyway .. I read all the email notifications which come in, and look for the author. If it says tunes .. I believe that to be my post. If the author of the reply is another board member, and the "title" is listed ... that's what I go looking for. In some instances, I just re-read everyone's posts and follow the replies to the last one to see if I've missed someone. So I do find myself, checking in several ways, so that hopefully I do not miss someone.

I'm going to copy your message, and others which give directions on the "how tos" of this. Perhaps one day it will be down to a fine science for me? I will feel badly though, if I miss anyone.

Thank you for your help. I truly do appreciate it.
    God Bless
    Tunes

Well, it worked. Got that one right. :)

Thanks again to you and others who have been helpful.
    Take care and God Bless
    Tunes
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'll take a stab at it.

The only time a new thread is started is when one clicks on Post A Message in the strip at the top of the page.

When you read an original post and the replies, it doesn't matter whether you click on Reply under the original post or under someone else's reply. Your post will fall under that thread. We prefer that all replies to an original post go under the same thread. That way, you can reply to the original poster or anyone else who has replied. It keeps things organized and cuts down on the number of posts. We now have so many posts that they roll over to Page 2 very rapidly.

Looks like you figured out the cut and paste thing. You do it here just like anywhere else. Please let me know if I didn't understand your question or if I left anything out.

Love, Mikie
  3. Tunes

Tunes New Member

Hi again Mikie,

So ..

We make a Post, and that creates "the Thread"

When people reply, such as you just did (and I made the next reply to you different than your "Title" .. ) It's still falls under the original thread.

Simpler put I guess:

Thread is the original post

The "Title" in a "reply" can be anything, but falls under the thread

Have I got that clear?

I think your first sentence answered.

Thank you so much.
    Love to you too,
    Tunes
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can see from how this thread is playing out how it works.

Love, Mikie
  5. Dara

Dara New Member

Mikie told me once how to e-mail yourself a post or a reply. Do you know how to do that? I did it once and it worked, then the next time I tried to do it I didn't get any results. Mikie, if you're reading this, which I am sure you will be, would you mind trying once more to explain how a person does that? This time I'll print it out and save it.

Thanks,
    Dara
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm not sure it wasn't someone else who told you how to do this. I don't remember it and don't know how to e-mail a post to oneself. However, you can certainly highlight and copy the content and then go into your word processing program and paste it into a document and then print it our. You can also simply hightlight the post and print it out directly.

Love, Mikie
  7. Tunes

Tunes New Member

Hi Dara,

Sounds interesting. Experimentation may just reveal this little trick. On the other hand, it could land me in the thick of things. I have been overheard talking to computers!! Most likely, we all have at one time or another.

If I come up with a way, I'll let you know.

Take care ..
    Tunes
  8. Tunes

Tunes New Member

Thanks again Mikie,

Makes life simpler and not so muddled.

Take care,
    Tunes

9. Tunes

Tunes New Member

Well, as soon as I finished replying, I thought of something.

It may work .. not sure. I still have to try it.

Go up to "File" far left corner. Scroll down to "Send" .. there should be an arrow next to it, where there is further options, it says "Email Page."

Click on that and put in your own email address.

Hope that does it. I'm going to try too.

Love,
    Tunes
  10. Dara

Dara New Member

Mikie, maybe it was Shirl that told me how to do it, I know it was one of the moderators.

Tunes, I'll try doing it again to see if it will work this time.

Thanks,
    Dara
  11. Dara

Dara New Member

If I want to e-mail myself a post, something that I want to save for later, this is what worked for me.

I high lighted the contents of the message that I want to e mail. I went up to edit and clicked on copy, then went in my "write mail" and entered my own e-mail address, then up to edit again and click on paste, and it appears on the body of the e-mail, and click on send. It worked, I checked it's in my e-mail.

Dara
  12. Tunes

Tunes New Member

Well Dara, I just tried it. It gave me a message it was sending it .. however, Netscape popped up. Said I needed another profile. Created one, and something is snafu.

Netscape was our former default browser, and when we still had a dial up.

Now we have Internet Explorer and Road Runner.

Computer is confused I think. Not me of course, that couldn't happen.

This computer is overload with a lot of things we don't use anymore. Husband says "we" have to sit down, to figure what I don't want anymore. I always find the "we" rather interesting. Most of the stuff "he" put on and doesn't use anymore.

I know where the "we" comes from though. I used to do genealogy, and had many records and hours of research typed and received by others. This information is among the missing, some of it. I can't begin to tell you how that took the air right out of my balloon. Air got rather warm at times. I filed a lot onto 3.5 diskettes, but I also lost a lot. He tells me it's still on here, "we" just got to find it. Yep .. I'm patient. That was several years ago.

Anyway .. suffice it to say, the computer is just full of some good stuff, and lots of junk. But "we" don't want to try, and "we" don't want to wipe out what may still be there. "We" just have to find it. Love it!

"We" just "networked" the other computer, so "we" won't have these issues again.

Oh well .. it may work on your computer if it isn't as fudged up with stuff as this one is. Give it a try..

Love,
    Tunes

13. Tunes

Tunes New Member

Good girl!

Thanks for telling us.

Take care,
    Tunes