Mikie - Complex Carbs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerriM, Feb 25, 2003.

1. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I actually posted something about this in another post, but complex carbs are the "good" carbs . . . brown rice, whole grain bread and whole grain pastas, etc. The more simple carbohydrates are the ones that are bad and turn to sugar more quickly (white rice, regular pasta, white bread, etc.) . . . that "complex" being the fact that they break down more slowly, thus being better for blood sugar regulation.

A friend of mine has the Suzanne Somers "get skinny on fabulous food" (or something like that) . . . I think her theories about food combinations are interesting. I am glad to hear you are having success with it and I think I am going to try it.

Thanks for the info! Terri
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, you are correct about the complex carbs being different from ones containing straight "white" things. Unfortunately, we have been led down a road for years to believe that complex carbs include pasta and other foods made with white flour. Also, many people believe that eating things like frozen low-fat, low-cal dinners, such as pasta with veggies, is healthy. These are sold as healthy complex carb meals. Most of the processed low-fat foods which are touted as healthy are very high in carbs and chemicals like MSG. In the public's mind, complex carbs are anything other than sugar, which simply isn't true. Complex carbs, using this criteria, can be very unhealthy.

In the beginning, I believe it best for a couple of weeks to get rid of most all of the carbs and slowly add them back in. This will produce a rapid weight loss. It is not healthy to eliminate all carbs for longer than this and will eventually actually stop the weight loss. Low-glycemic fruit is an excellent way to get healthy carbs. Brown rice is tastier than white rice and is an excellent source of carbs. Whole grain, low-carb bread, pasta, and bagels are available at the health food store, but again, one must read labels for undesireable ingredients.

Good luck on the diet.

3. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I used to work for a food company who made processed foods, so I know all about additives. I don't eat anything that is highly processed at all anymore (especially frozen dinners . . . yikes!)

Yes, I am planning to go mostly protein, fruit, veggie at first (although I think some people take it too far with lots of high fat protein items) . . . I am also careful about things that claim to be whole grain & are made with white flour. My mom and mother-in-law were both diabetic, so I am a major label reader :) Yes, many people don't know that you have to have some carbs or it can adversely affect your Seratonin level . . . not a good thing.

Take care . . . luckily, although I have IR I haven't gained too much weight since I became ill . . . I sure wish I could exercise without getting dizzy, that would be great!!!! Used to work out three times a week at the gym in my building at work.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good for you. Most people do not realize that when they buy "Whole Wheat Bread" at the supermarket, the first ingredient is almost always bleached white flour. I buy my bread at the health food store. Suzanne Somers has a new 2 pound bread maker and sells four different bread mixes which produce low-carb bread. Right now, she is sold out and the only place they had them was on HSN. I didn't get mine ordered before they sold out. I plan on getting them next time. With S&H, it comes to about $7 a loaf, which is a lot. However, I figured I would just use half a package and make a 1 pound loaf in my machine, which will not make a 2 pound loaf. That way, each loaf would cost about $3.50 which is less than what I pay at the health food store. I ordered a case of her SomerSweet. It's not as good as she makes it out to be, but it's OK. I haven't tried making any of her desserts with it yet.

Love, Mikie
  5. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I have been making my own bread for many years, now, so that I Know exactly what is in my bread..and I add a lot of extra grains to increase the fiber count even more, as well, as healthy oils, etc. And I love my bread as it tastes so much better than any commercial bread, and MY family can hardly go without it.. But, I have had to face the fact that I am insulin-resistant, and therefore, I have to stay on THIS kind of diet, otherwise I gain weight very easily..mainly in the abdominal region.. Even though, it is completely l00% whole wheat, it is still near the highest in the glycemic index, only cereals are at the top..so what I do is only eat this once/day in one hour as indicated by some of the insulin-resistant docs on the maintenance part of the diet..There are many hyperinsulinism-diet docs, but Atkins was probably the first proponent of this way of eating..and he is proving to be right in his theories, although being lambasted for about 30 years..So, you still have to be careful with even completely whole wheat foods, too..It is best to get a high-glycemic index which will tell you which foods cause insulin problems..if this pertains to you and it does to the vast majority of overweight individuals.. LOL, AMELIA
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2003]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are a lot of other whole grain flours out there too. The bread I buy at the health food store uses soy flour as its main ingredient. There are only 3 grams of carbs per slice and only 7 grams of carbs in half a bagel. I had heard that Dr. Atkins has his own brand of low-carb bread, but I haven't seen it.

My main point was that it is next to impossible to buy decent bread at the supermarkets and we do have to read labels.

I am insulin resistant too and have to watch my carbs. The Suzanne Somers diet is for people who are insulin resistant, but it is not as difficult to follow as Atkins or the Syndrome X diets. One can have her cheesecake even on the Level I part.

I have lost 24 pounds and within 8 days on the diet, my blood pressure went from high/normal to low/normal. The other morning when I took it, it was 116/67. All my lipids have improved and my cholesterol went from 191 to 168. My doc couldn't believe it.

Love, Mikie
  7. TerriM

TerriM New Member

All points well taken. I wanted to clarify something I said in my earlier response to a post (that is how this post got started) . . . I said lots of vegetables & complex carbs . . . what I mean is lots of vegetables . . . and complex carbs when you eat carbs. Anyway, I try to stay away from bread too much. Also, my husbands mom is diabetic so he knows some of the glycemic index stuff. Can I find that on a web search? I don,t have a listing of what is good & what isn,t. I kind of know, but that would be great. Also, weirdly enough I,m fairly insulin resistance, but I don,t have a weight problem, just high triglycerides in the blood which isn,t good . . . that is why my doc never thought I had IR?? Terri
  8. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I know that Atkins has a glycemic index on his website and probably could get it by just referring to that term on a search...HAPPY HUNTING! POINT TAKEN: I do need to find alternatives, because it has gotten so monotonous, seems like it is the same veggies and meats I eat over and over again..does anyone cook with stevia? LOL, AMELIA[This Message was Edited on 02/28/2003]
  9. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I have never used it, but Suzanne Somers recommends it in her program. I think they use it a lot in other countries. I have been trying to use lots of herbs and spices, lemon juice etc. to jazz things up a bit . . . and lots of garlic!
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It has a bit of an aftertaste. It is an antioxidant. Somers now, of course, recommends using her SomerSweet, which is also made from plant products but not metabolized as sugar. She claims it is also good for us. I do not find that her claim that the Somersweet is five times as sweet as sugar holds up. I find it about three times as sweet. It does not taste as good as Splenda, which is delicious, but Splenda contains chlorine, so I have now switched to the SomerSweet.

I believe if we give up eating sugar, white flour, white rice, and white potatoes, we will eliminate a lot of our problems. If we do not consume too many high-glycemic fruits and starchy veggies, we will further improve our IR. Even Dr. Atkins says white rice is OK once one has reached one's ideal weight, if it is eaten in moderation. Suzanne Somers has said that some carbs are necessary. When she stayed too long on "no-carb" dieting, her weight plateaued until she added some carbs back into her diet.

Somers believes that we should separate our carbs from our protein/fats. Fruit should be eaten by itself. So, if one is eating a little cereal, like oats, one must use no-fat milk. If one is eating protein and fats, one can use cream. When protein/fats are taken together with carbs, everything gets stored as fat in the body. Carbs are better eaten early in the day so that the body can burn them off. Fruit or a little bit of cereal for breakfast is fine, but one cannot put the fruit on the cereal. I have my low-carb bread or bagels for breakfast instead of eggs sometimes now.

It all sounds so complicated, but once one gets used to it, it's a snap. As I said, if one is willing to put a little energy into the Somers recipes, the food is delicious and there is plenty of spice and variety.

Love, Mikie

11. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have found that I feel much better when I eat no breads at all of any kind, and no starchy veggies like carrots and potatoes; then the IBS and bloating disappears completely. I eat more fruit than is normally allowed on high protein diets, because I get chills if I don't eat more carbs than they say, but I make sure the fruits are whole, no juices, jams, etc. I also eat no pasta. Even complex carbs are way up at the top of the glycemic index. It may surprise some to know that carrots are second only to pure glucose on the index, and russet potatoes are right behind! The only time I cheat is when we have potato pancakes...I just have to have one with natural applesauce on it. My hubby eats seven of them at once and is skinny as a rail!
    I love stevia, and could not do this diet without it. I believe it has long been the normal table sugar in Brazil and some other S. American countries.
    Klutzo
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The important thing is keeping our carbs within a sensible amount. We were all led down the path to obesity by telling us to eat pasta and grains. If one eats too much low-carb grain products of any kind, it will stop weight loss and cause insulin to flow. I also try to eat fruit as I love it and think it is good for us. I'm just careful not to eat too much, and I eat it by itself.

I no longer eat carrots, peas, some types of beans, potatoes, or corn. I try to keep to the other veggies in salads and as sides to my protein/fats.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]