Mikie doxy/probiotic questions..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zoemurr, Oct 16, 2006.

1. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

OK.. so now I'm on all my supps from the FFC, valtrex, and doxy, and jaro.

The doxy and jaro are supposed to be on an empty tummy. Can I take them together? I usually take my supps in the morning with the valtrex, wait a few hours for the doxy, lunch an hour or so later, doxy between lunch and dinner. When is the best time for the jaro?

Thanks, Sherry
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can take Doxy with a little food but I wouldn't take it with a full meal. When I'm taking the Doxy, I take more of the Jarro than I do for maintenance. Take the Jarro on an empty stomach or at least two hours between meals or the Doxy. As long as you're on the Doxy, it will continue to cause problems, so you will need to be taking the Jarro continually. You can take the Jarro with food if need be. In fact, if I eat something which unsettles my stomach, I will take a Jarro and it will often clear up the problem.

Rubbing your stomach around the navel seems to do something and I'm not sure what but it does help to settle it down. Putting a heating pad on your stomach may help too. If you can eat yogurt, so much the better. I really like the new Activa yogurt. It's in smaller servings but contains a lot of good bacteria.

Love, Mikie
  3. dahopper

dahopper New Member

Oh my I have not been spacing out my probiotic and doxy two hours apart. What does it do to the effect of the doxy? I am on so much meds and supplements that I know I must be doing a ton of stuff wrong. I am just totally overwhelmed. How in the world do you get this figured out. I do not know much about all of this stuff....its all new to me. Hugs, Love Debbie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You can figure it out. Antibiotics will kill the good bacteria. If you keep this in mind, everything else should fall into line. You don't want to take the probiotics within two hours of taking the Doxy because the Doxy will wipe out the good bacteria. If you wait two hours, the good bacteria will have a chance to colonize. If you have to take either the Doxy or the probiotics with food, don't worry about it. Avoid taking milk products with the Doxy, though, and don't take supplements with the Doxy. Other meds are OK, usually. You can talk to your pharmacist who should help you work out a schedule if you need the help.

Every time you take the Doxy, you will need to replace the good bacteria the Doxy destroys. Just wait two hours and take the Jarrow, even if you have to take it with food. If you can take it on an empty stomach, so much the better but it's not necessary.

I hope this helps a little.

Love, Mikie