Mikie - found L.A. Dr. who does peptide injections

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Jan 10, 2012.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Hi Mikie - well, after Dr. Gromeringer's office told me there was no doctor in California who did the peptide injections, I contacted Dr. Dakos' office just in case they might know something Dr. Gromeringer didn't, and Dakos' office had the name of a doctor in L.A. who they said might still be doing the injections - anyways, I called and voila! He is doing them. (I don't know why both of these doctors were so uncertain about the California dr.)

For all you southern California people, his name is Hans Gruenn - he has a website (google him) and his phone is 310-966-9194.

I called him yesterday and unbelievably, he does take Medicare. You have to pay cash for the visit and then his office will bill Medicare which will reimburse you close to 80% (I think the doctor can bill 15% over the Medicare limit, but Medicare will only pay 80% of the allowed amount). The initial visit is $190 and follow-ups are $85 or so.

His injections are $330 or $390, depending on what type you get (which of course are not covered by Medicare). I'm still just a bit blown away by finding a doctor so close when I thought there were none. So now I have to decide, but am glad I have this decision to make. He's only an hour away from me, barring traffic (hah! L.A. traffic ...)

Anyways, thanks for paving the way for the rest of us. I'll let y'all know what I decide.

2. inprog

inprog Member

Dr. Gruenn is my doctor too and has been for a number of years. Know that you will like him and easy to talk to. Love his German accent. Such a bright attitude always.
  3. shayneybonds

shayneybonds New Member

hi mary

if u do go to dr gruenn for injections can u pls keep us posted on your progress. if u see success too i will head down there from no cal to see him too.

in prog: has dr. gruenn helped u too recover your health. i am severely ill w/me and desperate to regain some health...so if dr. gruenn can help me. i will find it with in myself to get the energy to get down there. do u know if he works w/any docs in the sf bay area

[This Message was Edited on 01/10/2012]
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm so glad to hear that - thanks! I'll post how it goes if I see him.

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I will definitely post how I do if I decide to try it. You could call his office (the staff were very nice) and ask if he works with doctors in the bay area. I called yesterday with another question in the morning, and they actually called me back in the afternoon - I was impressed that they return phone calls.

About a week ago on the recommendation of my chiropractor I started taking vitamin B6 in the form of pyrixodal-5-phosphate (which is not in most multis or B complexes) and amazingly it is helping my energy. I don't know if it will last or really how much energy I have as I have not pushed it, but will post more about it later...

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't think these docs have a list of their fellow practitioners who do the treatment. They attend seminars all over the world to keep updated on the latest research. These injections are being researched in cases of Alzheimers and Autism. There is, as yet, no injection for them but the research continues.

It is probably only dumb luck that Dr. Dakos met this doc or heard of him at one of the seminars. I'm pretty sure they also have some kind of newsletter. From now on, I'll give Dr. Dakos' info as he's been into this treatment a lot longer than my doc.

I wish they would get together a directory so that people could access docs who do this.

Good for you for not giving up and for finding the doc. My Medicare Advantage covers all but $10 of my office visits but I pay out of pocket for the injections. If the big pharma ever figures out the formulae for these injections, the cost will probably skyrocket. I want to get mine while they are still doable for me.

Good luck and keep us up to date on how it goes.

Love, Mikie
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

for your good wishes. I know I was stunned when I found this doctor. It did sound like Grominger's office had heard of him but they just said he didn't do it any more.

Anyways, a little voice nudged me to double check with Dr. Dakos and I'm so glad I listened!

I know that Dr. Gruenn does not take Medicare Advantage plans, but am very glad he at least takes straight Medicare, which I have. I've found that alternative type doctors or integrative medicine doctors I want to see generally do not take Medicare HMO's, but often will take straight Medicare.

Anyways, I will post if I decide to try the peptides. In the meanwhile I'm starting to get some results with a new form of B6 and want to see how that goes first, and I will be doing a post on it.

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

With the B6. I had good luck with the methylation protocol but once I got the Sjogren's, it just wasn't enough.

I kept in mind when deciding on the injections that the worst that could happen is that I would spend $900 on three shots and they wouldn't work. That helped me decide instead of looking at it as $3,600 for a year. I'm taking it one month at a time but we now know the shots do work for me. So, I will probably be looking at a year but possibly nine months as they are working much better than we expected. Even with the setbacks from the Red Tide, my Sjogren's symptoms and my arthritis are so much better. I guess they can't help with the RT as it's a neurotoxin and exposure to it can cause real problems in sensitive individuals.

Again, best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  9. quanked

quanked Member

Below--I copied and pasted what I found in March of last year regarding docs and the peptide injections. There is only one more doc that I am aware of beyond Dakos and the doc in LA. All too far away for me.

I hope members here continue to search for more docs. I would consider trying the peptide tx if I could find a much closer medical provider.

Thanks to you and Mikie for keepting this going.

This is a follow up on what mikie brought up (peptide injections) on a thread about the spinal fluid differences between lyme and cfids/me.

Mikie's post is within spacee's post below:

http://www.prohealth.com/fibromyalgia/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=1409713 (spacee's post)

spacee 2/23/11 4:16 PM

CFS and LYME Are REAL!!! CBS NEWS Wed. Nite ____________________________________

I emailed Dr. Dakos and asked him if knew of any docs nearer to me. He responded with an email with 2 docs. One is in Los Angeles and the other is in Arlington, MA. Kind of ways for me as I live in Oregon.

I thought perhaps someone here might follow up with the docs if interested and post here if they do.

For what it is worth--

Dr. Rothfeld
    108 Massachusetts Ave suite # 303
    Arlington, MA 0274-8440

Dr. Gruenn
    2211 Cornith Ave suite 204
    Los Angeles , CA 90064

< br>[This Message was Edited on 03/04/2011]

[This Message was Edited on 03/04/2011]

Edit My Post | Delete My Post

10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Quanked - thanks for your post. I missed it last March!

Dr. Gomeringer's office also gave me the name of a doctor in Reno: Dr. Gerber, 775-826-1900. I did call his office (this is before I found Dr. Gruenn) and they said he does not take Medicare, but does take PPOs. It's a little closer to Oregon ... I used to live up there, first in Central Point and then Talent (worked in Ashland). It's gorgeous up there.

Best wishes,

11. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm doing the same reasoning, figuring it would cost me around $1,000 to give the peptide injections a fair try, which I'm willing to do. But now that the P-5-P B6 is boosting my energy some, I'm going to wait and see how it plays out. (it's a little cheaper :)

Best wishes,

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Again, Mary, I'm glad you found something to help. I found so many things which helped me until the SS and I just couldn't overcome the fatigue from it. Venus Williams described it best when she said her tennis racquet felt too heavy to lift. This from a professional athlete who was in top condition and in the prime of her game before Sjogren's. In addition to the fatgue, my mouth burned amost all the time, had sores in it and was so dry, I almost choked to death on bread a couple of times. SS has made my FMS and CFDS/ME look like child's play. I decided that nothing short of the injections was going to be adequate to address all my conditions.

Quanked, thanks for the additional info on docs. Each new doc could be contacted to see whether he or she knows of other docs who do the injections. We might eventually be able to put together a list. I read somewhere that there were about 25 docs in the U.S. who were doing them.

The Red Tide has moved downshore but there are still trace spores in the air. I am still having to take an allergy pill so I don't have the dry cough. Even worse is feeling jittery and off balance. It's not as bad as it was. I'm anxious to feel better so I can try sun exposure to see whether being out in the sun makes me worse. That will be another indicator of how well the shots work. It may take a few more before the sun exposure doesn't cause an increase in auto-antibodies.

Even with the RT, I am having no arthritis nor FMS pain so I know the shots are working but the RT fatigue and neurological symptoms overshadow everything else. I'll be updating when there is more to tell.

Love, Mikie
  13. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

I'm excited for you, Mary! This is a great discovery.
    If you try it, I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

14. wrthster

wrthster New Member

Hi all,

Interesting thread. I am in FL and met with Dr. Dakos and another Doctor who is in central FL who does them. Dr. Dakos tried the modulating peptide on me and my system overeacted. The Doctor in Central FL tried another two and we had no luck. I opted for the $300 lab from Europe they offer. They results I thought were ridiculous. They interpretation was: I suffered brain damage many years ago from an accident and suffered hypoxia which is complete deprivation of oxygen to the brain. Further, the lab said I was loaded with candida and that was all.

When I requested to look at the lab from the Doctor in central FL I was told it was not available. He said it came via the phone and he took notes. I do not believe him. They are very hush hush about the lab and the peptides. I have asked for any clinical trials and sceintific evidence yet nothing could be provided to me. I find this to be extremely suspiscious.

At the cost of 350 per peptide, and there being several available I feel could be useful, I am not encouraged to continue to pursue especially considering it will put me in major credit card debt. However, nothing else is helping and I have done nothing but deteriorate the past several years.

Curious for your thoughts and comments?
  15. wrthster

wrthster New Member

Hi again,

Just wanted to mention to all of you since this treatment is so expensive that I checked all the Doctors websites mentioned by name on here and none of them with the exception of dr. dakos even mention the peptide injections. Again, I come back to why are these things so secretive, cost so much, and no information available on the internet no matter how I google it?

I am not trying to discourage anyone, lord knows we all are in great need of help. I am still struggling with my decision here as to proceed or not. I am reaching out to all of you for your thoughts and advise?

I also want to let you guys know, they have specific peptides from Yuppie Flu which we know what that is, and virus of unknown etilogy following allergic onset or something like that. Also a peptide for the nervous system and allergies.

Thanks very much.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so sorry the injections did not work for you. You mention whether to continue or not. If the current peptides are not working, does that mean they would change the peptide injection to another formula, one made just for you?

I do understand the secrecy. Oxford University, and the lab they work with, guard the formulas that they worked so hard to develop to keep them out of the hands of greedy pharmaeuticals. As we speak, there are studies being done by pharmas for peptide injections for RA and diabetes. Eventually, they will develop their own peptide injections and probably charge a fortune for them.

While all this is new to us, these injections have been successfully used in Europe for more than 30 years. Still, they don't work for everyone; nothing does. This is why I'm trying to journal my experience here. The two injections I've had have worked for some of my symptoms but not completely for all of them. The first one did but the second one has not completely wiped out my Sjogren's dry mouth. Still, it's not as dry as before and there is no burning nor sores in my mouth. I've been pain free from FMS and arthritis but am exhausted most of the time. My sleeping was better but is now way off schedule, falling asleep early in the evening and waking up way too early.

I'm taking a "wait 'n see" attitude as the shots are helping and I know they take a while, especially in the beginning. I know they can work for me and I think that bodes well for future results.

I welcome all feedback, good and negative, on this treatment. Thanks for posting.

Love, Mikie
  17. wrthster

wrthster New Member

Thanks very much for the goog info and I really hope these work for you. I am still torn as whether to try any more of them due to the price and the first two not working. Will have to think some more. I will continue to follow your progress and hope very much this helps you get a lot better.

With Love,

18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I will definitely be posting more. I do know that the older one is and the longer one has been sick, the less effective the injections and the longer they take to work. I think it must also be true that the more conditions one has, the longer it may take to work. If it weren't for this exhaustion, I would say the shots were working great. Whenever I've been exposed to Red Tide, I've had this exhaustion. This morning, I had to use my nebulizer and my inhaler so it must still be skulking around. I think the RT trumps everything else. At lease, my pain is gone and the dry mouth isn't nearly as bad as before the injections.

That there has been any level of success is encouraging to me for the long run. I have to keep in mind that this is a long-term treatment and to be patient.

My next injection is only a week away so I'm hoping that will bring some relief.

Love, Mikie
  19. happygrl

happygrl New Member

Hey there.... been reading posts on peptides and saw yours. I am curious about what doctor you saw in central florida? I too am in your general area....would like to try the peptides. I read your profile and saw Reactive Arth. as your issue. Have you seen the research from Doctor John Carter at USF rheumatology on Reactive Arthritis. He is using a treatment protocol. A person on another board had it also and is on the protocol and getting good results. His research is published....I'm sure you can easily find it with a search.
    Anyway if you could possibly let me know the name of that Doc in central fl i would be grateful. Also, you said after the first injection you were overeactive to the peptides...what did you mean by this exactly ? I was just wondering if you may have had an initial herx response as is common with some therapies? I am trying to asimilate all the info I can on this from people who have tried it ...so I was curious about the over reaction you mentioned. Thanks for any info and help you can give and definately check Dr Carter.....he is a good doctor and is well informed. I have seen him in the past for conventional meds.

Good Luck to you and thanks.....Happygrl
  20. halfacre2

halfacre2 New Member

Mine is in St George UT