Mikie I have a question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hootie1, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Mikie, I have been taking valtrex for viruses since June and have been taking 400 mg of doxy for the past month for mycoplasma and c. pnemoniae (1:1024). I have had such a problem with mucus in my throat to the point that I feel like I am chocking! Have you experienced this?

Also, even prior to the meds I seem to choke out of no where on my saliva when I swallow wrong- so to speak.

Any ideas?
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Hootie, I also had that choking on my saliva for no apparant reason! This is a recent thing in the past two months or so. It would happen at work, how embarrasing!

I also have mycoplasma and c pnemoniae. I wonder if it is related to this? I don't have the mucus issue. I am on cipro for my pnuemoniae.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just had my followup visit to the nurse practitioner following my endoscopy. She said long-term use of ABX can cause acid reflux problems. This would include choaking when swallowing. Do you ever have spasms in your throat or chest when swallowing food or does it ever hurt as it goes down?

I may have to switch to the mycoplasma TF and get off the Doxy. They still don't know what is wrong with me. As long as I'm on the Doxy, I can eat all the foods which are supposed to cause the relux. As soon as I'm off the Doxy, the fever returns and so does the pain. Thing is, the pain isn't where acid reflux hurts; it's lower, under my breasts.

They have given me Nexium and Aciphex and both made me very sick. They are time release so I just had to suffer until they wore off. I'm not taking anything else like that. Also, the Aciphex kept the Klonopin from working last night and I was awake until 1:00 a.m. with my stomach on fire and my pulse pounding like a hammer.

You can ask your doc about taking Guaifenesin to thin out the mucus. If you are not restricting salicylates, the Guai should not cause a flare, but everyone is different. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member