Mikie: Interesting use for Neurontin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by healing, Mar 10, 2003.

1. healing

healing New Member

This is from the Mirkin Report (March 2003):

New Treatment for Hot Flashes

Sixty-five to 85% of menopausal women suffer hot flashes, which persist for five years in 60% of women and for more than 15 years in ten percent. An exciting article shows that the seizure medicines, Tegretol and Neurontin, can help control hot flashes.

Seizures are caused by the same type of brain reaction that causes hot flashes. When you have an infection and your temperature rises above 100 degrees, you sweat to cool yourself off and prevent your body temperature from rising so high that the fever causes a seizure.

The symptoms of hot flashes are also caused by a down- setting of the temperature-regulating part of the brain. When a woman loses estrogen, her hypothalmus, the part of the brain that regulates temperature and sweating, responds to any rise in temperature and causes increased blood flow to the skin and sweating.

This new treatment is especially important because most doctors now discourage the use of postmenopausal estrogen replacement, which until recently was considered the most effective treatment for hot flashes. But over the last two years, three studies have shown that estrogen given after menopause increases a woman's risk for breast cancer, heart attacks, and strokes.

Soon after the publication of the original reports of these serious side effects of hormone replacement therapy, nine reports came out in peer-reviewed medical journals showing that hot flashes can be lessened by eating lots of whole grains and soybeans. But more recently, better studies have shown that eating flaxseeds, wheat, and soybeans does not prevent hot flashes.

--Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Feb. 2003
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I wonder whether the Klonopin does the same thing. Probably. I don't have hot flashes, but when I was first going thru perimenopause, I would waken during the night feeling warm and kicking off the blankets. I never did this during the day and I never turned red or sweated, just felt warm.

I am starting to think these antiseizure meds are good for lots of things :)

Love, Mikie