Mikie/Jelly - Klonopin & Tricyclics Question (Immune Modulation)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerriM, Mar 5, 2003.

1. TerriM

TerriM New Member

Mikie -- My hypersensitivity state is getting so much worse that I have to try to find a drug to help. I took Elavil before I knew I had CFS & it helped tremendously with Immune System Modulation . . . at the time we didn't understand why. I have not had a paradoxical reaction to it and get really hyper so I can't sleep. I am wondering if a small dose of Klonopin or possibly a different tricyclic besides Elavil will help me (Doxepin maybe)?? I believe I once read that Klonopin helped you with your hypersensitivity. I saw an immunologist who said I'm not TH2 activated, but my immune system is just cranking so high to try to fight something (still trying to determine what that something is . . . possibly my severe chronic sinus infection or a reactivated virus . . . I'm going to an infectious disease dr. to get this checked out as well).

Jelly -- I know you take Elavil, have you had any experience at all with people who've taken other tricyclics that have helped with regulating the immune system??

Thanks for any help you can give! Hope you guys are doing well. I'm starting the Suzanne Somers eating plan today & hope that I can get my insulin resistance under control. I see its going to be tricky at first because normal things I would eat for breakfast I can't eat together . . . Terri
  2. TerriM

TerriM New Member

hoping you guys will see . . .
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't like taking antidepressants, but the Klonopin has helped me tremendously with quality sleep, my tinnitus, sensory overload, and anxiety/panic attacks.

I was given Elavil about 4 1/2 years ago after an auto accident and it made me sleepy and I slept all night, but I kept waking up just as tired as when I went to bed. I put on 20 pounds while on it very rapidly.

That said, I think the tricyclics are much safer for us than the SSRI's. My older daughter does take Prozac and says it is a big help with her pain, although she does take it for clinical depression. I worry about long-term use of it but she is unable to get off it.

Love, Mikie