MIKIE - My question was misunderstood....try again?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klutzo, Jan 30, 2003.

1. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Thanks for answering my question about Guai, but you answered a different question than the one I asked. I'll try to express myself better this time.
    I am in really bad, exhausting pain.
    I started Neurontin and Guai at the same time.
    Since it isn't safe to just quit Neurontin all at once, I have quit the Guai.
    I need to know how long I will have to be off the Guai to prove that it is not the cause of this pain. Let me put it another way....
    Did you ever go off Guai while you were having the pain from the reversal? If so, how long did you have to be off Guai before the reversal pain stopped?
    Or, here's another way to see it. If I go ahead and use SALS while I am off Guai, will that mean that any pain I still have is not caused by the reversal?
    Does going off Guai immediately stop any pain caused by reversal from the guai, or how long does it take to stop it?
    Do you see what I am asking now, or is it still unclear?
    I've been off Guai for 24 hrs. now and using things with sals in them again, but I am still completely exhausted and in awful pain. Would it be possible for the Guai to still be causing this pain at this point?
    If the question is still not clear, please let me know.
    Thank you,
    Klutzo
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sorry if I misunderstood. When I was having to much pain from the 1800 mgs and went back to 1200, it took about a week for the reversal pain to subside. This is about the same amount of time it took for the pain to return when I stopped taking the Guai. Most things with the Guai take about a week, give or take a day or two for me.

Now, I imagine that it is different for everyone. Is the reversal pain you are experiencing much, much worse than your normal pain? If so, perhaps you will notice a difference if you discontinue the Guai. If this is the case, perhaps you can go back on the Guai at a reduced dose.

I hope I got it right this time. I'm doing a little painting in a small bathroom and I think the fumes are getting to me.

Love, Mikie
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

You got it just right this time, but be careful of those fumes anyway... Open the window...if it's half as nice in Ft. Myers as it is up here in Clearwater, you'll enjoy the fresh air. It's dry, sunny, and 70 degrees today here...perfect!
    I was in awful pain when I wrote the post this morning, but now it is gone. Yes, the pain I was having was much, much worse than my usual pain. I'm still going to give it several more days, as you suggest, because my gut is still telling me the pain is being caused by the Neurontin. I know it's not logical that Neurontin would cause pain, but my gut has told me totally crazy things before, and they always turn out to be right.
    I've been sick with FMS for 17 yrs., so one week off the Guai isn't going to postpone my reversal all that much, and I need to know what's causing this. If I decide it is the Guai, then I will start over at 300 mgs. twice daily, since I didn't ever do that...I was afraid to break the tablets and started at 600 mgs. twice daily.

I'm going out now to dig asparagus ferns out of a garden bed....if you've ever done that you know how difficult it is. Thanks for the clarification and happy painting!
    KLutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 01/31/2003]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Don't forget to wear your garden gloves; oh that's right, you don't have to worry since you're not on the Guai.

I'm glad you are enjoying our lovely weather. I felt better today than I have in ages. It's got to be the weather. My doc said all this cool weather we've had has been what's been making me sick. Maybe he's right.

BTW, 600 mgs. twice a day is twice the normal initial dose, so that could be the problem. If you decide to go back to the Guai, try cutting the pills and do 300 mgs. twice a day. It's safe to cut the Guai in half.

Happy gardening :)

Love, Mikie