Mikie---Need more Info--Calcium/Phos

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen2002, Dec 13, 2002.

1. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Okay--one more time Mikie---help me out, lol. (won't promise it's the last, though ;)

Ok--According to 24 hr. urine test, I have hypercalciuria

Serum Calcium is fine.

Urine Cal. 262 (norm 250)
    Urine P 1251 (norm 1100)
    Urine BR (brushite Ca Phosphate) 3.22 (norm 2)
    Urine Ph 6.76
    Diagnosis-Hypercalciuric Nephrolithiasis
    Supersaturation-Brushite (Ca Phospate)

So basically since serum calcium is fine hyperparathyroidism is out--

There is a graph here on the test results....and its the brushite that is peaking so high (calcium phosphate).

So am I correct in assuming that the calcium and phosphate are #1 being leached from bone, and #2 you say that since I am dumping P into the urine that fibro diagnosis, may be incorrect, since this should be building up in my body?
    Fibro is the only diagnosis I have gotten where I am receiving any treatment, lol.

Damn I should have gotten my med degree in my younger years...if only I would have known then.....lol....
    Any help w/ this would be greatly appreciated.
    Karen
  2. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Okay--one more time Mikie---help me out, lol. (won't promise it's the last, though ;)

Ok--According to 24 hr. urine test, I have hypercalciuria

Serum Calcium is fine.

Urine Cal. 262 (norm 250)
    Urine P 1251 (norm 1100)
    Urine BR (brushite Ca Phosphate) 3.22 (norm 2)
    Urine Ph 6.76
    Diagnosis-Hypercalciuric Nephrolithiasis
    Supersaturation-Brushite (Ca Phospate)

So basically since serum calcium is fine hyperparathyroidism is out--

There is a graph here on the test results....and its the brushite that is peaking so high (calcium phosphate).

So am I correct in assuming that the calcium and phosphate are #1 being leached from bone, and #2 you say that since I am dumping P into the urine that fibro diagnosis, may be incorrect, since this should be building up in my body?
    Fibro is the only diagnosis I have gotten where I am receiving any treatment, lol.

Damn I should have gotten my med degree in my younger years...if only I would have known then.....lol....
    Any help w/ this would be greatly appreciated.
    Karen
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm sorry, but this is waaaay out of my league. Has your doc explained it to you?

Love, Mikie
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

This is so far over my head, that I would not even answer this post, except to tell you that probably our very own Klutzo could answer your questions!

If she does not see this post, then make one to her.

Shalom, Shirl

PS, I agree both you and Klutzo should have gotten that darn degree! Not me, my math stinks, and I would have a problem with all those sick people too!
  5. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Appreciate you reading this--
    The urologist sent me to the endocrinologist---darn if I think either of them knows what they are talking about, lol.
    The endo wanted to send me to a nephrologist....ya know, the regular tour of the "ologist". He'd be the only one I havent seen thus far, lol.

Would you believe the endo--wanted me to take the 24 hr. urine test again(they had lost it and he didn't even have it at my appt. time, and this was one of the tests he was suppose to be reviewing, along with my PTH (parathyroid hormone) which was slightly elevated. He almost had me convinced to retake 24 hr. urine, but when I got to the lab to pick up the collection bottle---I said "naaaaah"....poor puzzled lab tech. I told her on second thought, keep the bottle.

These guys are nincompoops!!!

Well maybe someone will come along with some knowledge of this. the only thing the endo told me was.....that although the PTH was elevated, and I was dumping cal.phosphate out in urine, I had to have elevated serum calcium for a dx of hyperparathyroidism. So I am clueless---Whats new, lol.
    Karen
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Dear Karen -- Please see my post to you under your post to Madwolf and myself. If you only need one of those lab containers to do a 24 hr. urine test, you are not drinking enough water, which is numero uno for preventing stones. I always have to have two jugs for one of those tests. The lab people get ticked off when I demand two, but that's just too bad!

Shirl - thanks so much for the kind words, but math is my weak area too. That's why I ended up in social work, and I passed the one math course required for that degree by throwing myself on the mercy of the professor! I wanted to be a scientific researcher, but I was absent the day they passed out the part of the brain that does advanced math....it's all Greek to me!

Klutzo
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The sorry thing about this 'brain' is that my grandfather was a Professor of Mathmatics at a university!

My brother was a walking genius in Math, but I think they sucked up all the part of the brains in my family, and I got the left overs with math!

The only thing I can handle is the checkbook.

Shalom, Shirl
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2002]
  8. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I have always been mathematically impaired---and these disorders have made it even worse ----
    my checkbook has become "iffy", lol....
    Thanks for all your help guys!
    Karen