Mikie or anyone else who knows:

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 2BPainfree, Nov 24, 2002.

1. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Just read the articles you recommended.

Few Questions...
    1) Who is Dr. Cheney?
    2) Does he have any books?
    3) Where is this Dr. located?
    4) Any other suggested articles in the library or books for reading?

Curious: Has anyone else heard of allergies r/t the powder on latex gloves and balloons? Wonder what that powder is made from? Aside from all the nurses who have developed allergies to this, think how many people who have also been exposed to this via Doctors, Dentsits,procedures, surgeries.
    Any comments? (note: NOT allergic to "powder-free" latex gloves)

Love this forum!

Susan/Calif
  2. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Just read the articles you recommended.

Few Questions...
    1) Who is Dr. Cheney?
    2) Does he have any books?
    3) Where is this Dr. located?
    4) Any other suggested articles in the library or books for reading?

Curious: Has anyone else heard of allergies r/t the powder on latex gloves and balloons? Wonder what that powder is made from? Aside from all the nurses who have developed allergies to this, think how many people who have also been exposed to this via Doctors, Dentsits,procedures, surgeries.
    Any comments? (note: NOT allergic to "powder-free" latex gloves)

Love this forum!

Susan/Calif
  3. allhart

allhart New Member

im not sure about the other things but im allergic to both the powder and the latex its self,
    ive had stupid nurses say the latex will only be touching you for a couple of seconds so dont be concerned
    if i even touch a toy with latex i get hives on the roof of my mouth its horrible,
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Dr. Paul Cheney is a leading doctor on FM, if you go to the 'HOME' page, and type in Paul Cheney, it will bring up numerous articles he has written on FM.

As for a book, I don't think so, not to my knowledge anyway.

PaulMark, one of the members here goes to Dr. Cheney. You might want to make a post to him concerning the doctor.

I think he is in Washington DC area. But not sure.

Hope this helps.

Shalom, Shirl

5. teach6

teach6 New Member

Dr. Cheney is located in Charlotte, NC, I believe.

Barbara
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Cheney is a expert in CFIDS, but I have found that much of what he has learned also applies to FMS. He has devoted his entire career to research and treatment of CFIDS every since he and his partner in practice were involved in the most famous cluster outbreak of CFIDS in recent history in the U.S. This outbreak occured in the mid-80's in Incline Village, NV.

You can get the book, "Osler's Web" to read more about Dr. Cheney and his valiant efforts to get CFIDS recognized as a legitimate illness by the NIH and CDC. They tried to discredit him and everyone else who tried to get funding and/or who tried to get this illness recognized.

Dr. Cheney is in NC. I believe he has moved his clinic from the Charlotte area closer to the mountains. I'm not sure about this, but Paulmark would know. Dr. Cheney is VERY expensive to see, about $6,000 for the initial workup and tests, including followup care. Many have criticized him for this, but the many just about went bankrupt during the years he was fighting for those of us who have CFIDS.

He probably has more experience than just about anyone treating CFIDS. I do not know of any books he has written. If you call his clinic, they will send a packet of info on the tests they run on patients during their all-day initial workup. I have never heard of anyone who went through this who has gotten significantly better, but this is not to say that no one has; I just haven't heard of anyone.

Dr. Cheney continues to refine his treatment and cooperates with the woman who writes the articles about these treatments. If I thought he could significantly help me, I might consider spending the money. In the meantime, I read the articles and apply what I learn to my own treatment regimen. The Klonopin and breathing exercises I learned about have helped me tremendously.

The Guai treatment I larned about here and read about in Dr. St. Amand's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About FIBROMYALGIA," has reversed my FMS symptoms about 3/4 and I expect to come close to 100 percent reversal in time. I have been on this treatment for about 1 1/2 years.

Unfortunately, I also have CFIDS, so reversing the FMS symptoms will not, by itself, make me well. The Doxycycline antibiotic treatment I learned about from reading Dr. Garth Nicolson's website is helping me with my CFIDS. My illnesses were triggered by a mycoplasma infection at the start of the Gulf War. I've been on this treatment about a year. In Jan., if I am feeling well, I will try once again to cycle off the Doxy. It may well take another year to rid my body of the stealth pathogen.

These are my major treatments and are unique to me. We all have to find what works for us through a lot of trial and error and lots of slouthing and detective work. My advice is to utilize our library liberally and learn all you can about your illness(es). Start out with the belief that most docs know next to nothing about our illnesses and that it will be your responsibility to find your own treatments. Investigate any treatments your doc recommends before trying it. There are some good docs out there, but even the good ones often do more harm than good when it comes to treating our illnesses.

Love, Mikie