MIkie or other probiotic experts...questions re: starting

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justlooking, Jun 13, 2006.

1. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Hi all. I want to say FINALLY after almost 3 years on this board I'm going to start treating my gut.

Mikie,I have learned so much from you through the years and with my increasing stomach issues I think I need to give this a shot. I see you encouraging people to treat the gut with probiotics and it finally hit home with me. Ok so where to start...

First my stomach has been very sensitive lately, gets irritated with many foods (meat, spices, juice, some meds and supplements) to the point where my food choices are greatly effected and I can't take certain meds anymore. (I'm only 100 lbs at 5'6" so I can't afford not to eat)
    I have been constipated since beginning a new medication about a year ago but was able to deal with it by adding trail mix and dried fruits to my diet. This resulted in my mouth constantly breaking out it coldsores (another thing I learned from people on the board is that raisins and nuts are antagonizers for cold sores...thank you!) As a result I had to take those foods out of my diet and my constipation is back, with a vengeance!

So last week after reading one of Mikies post to someone about Probiotics and good gut health, I made my decision. So yesterday I bought some GNC colon care supplements with fiber, acidopholis and FOS to start with.

My questions in getting started are.

1) Was this particular supplement a wise choice or do you suggest a different one?

2) Should I do a complete colon cleanse before beginning or will Probiotics do that as it works in my gut?

3) Should I expect any side effects, such as diarrhea, increased bowel movements, or Herxing? (can you Herx from probiotics, I'm confused some say yes others say no)

4) Is there anything else I should include with the Probiotics for best results?

5) Based on your experience what is the best time to take it? Does it have any interactions with meds or foods?

Thanks in advance to those who can help me start this process!!

Sincerely
    JL
    [This Message was Edited on 06/13/2006]
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

The best time to take probiotics is usually on an empty stomache. I take my first in the morning before I've had anything and wait half an hour for it to do its thing. I actually use Jarro-dophilus (one of my 3) in the morning, because it doesn't need the fridge and I can have it right by my bed, so by the time I actually get up, I'm good to go w/ supps, food etc.

I'm not familiar w/ your product, but the addition of fibre sounds like it may be a good idea for you. After you've seen what benefits you get from this brand, you may want to try Primal Defense. It seems to be the best one for gut healing and treating IBS. I am regular fo rthe first time in my whole life from Primal, and I only take it sporadically, since a) its so expensive, but b) I only need to take it occasionally at low dose to keep up the benefits.

Probiotics can definitely cause a herx. I was first perscribed them by an environmental doc who hands out an info sheet w/ it and it warns of probable die off symptoms if you have a candida problem. For the people who say they don't cause herxes, they probably don't have candida.

Jeanne

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have been taking probiotics for years and I only buy ones which guarantee that they will colonize in the intestine and which contain several strains of good bacteria. I take the Jarro-Dophilus sold here. I have also heard good things about Primal Defense but have never taken it. I can't vouch for anything but the Jarro.

Probiotics are best taken on an empty stomach. First thing in the morning is good but not for people who will be taking an antibiotic. Probiotics must be taken after antibiotics--several hours later is good. If one is on several different meds, it can be challenging taking and spacing them just right.

I have never done a colon cleanse. Closest I've come is when I have to clean out prior to a colonoscopy. Just my personal opinion, but I think that is too harsh. If the probiotics are taken and gut health improves, it should be enough. Still, I know there are those who swear by the cleanses. I think we can do too much at once. I would start with the probiotics and see how it goes.

I don't know what side effects one can expect from probiotics, if any. When the gut is healed, the immune system improves. It is possible that one's immune system could rev up and kill off enough pathogens to cause Herxing but I think this possibility is remote. Still, no one knows for sure. We each react in different ways.

I wouldn't add anything else to the probiotics. It is best to do one thing at a time. Probiotics are amazing things. They work really well by themselves as long as they aren't being destroyed by ABX taken with them.

I took Doxycycline for 2 1/2 years without stomach problems, which I attribute to the use of probiotics. In fact, the Doxy cleared up my IBS, which leads me to believe that, at least in some cases, bacterial infection can cause IBS.

Good luck to you. Let us know how the probiotics work for you. I hope others will respond to this, especially regarding cleanses. Thank you, too, for you kind words.

Love, Mikie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We must have been responding at the same time. I see that you did Herx from the probiotics. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Love, Mikie
  5. colinjn

colinjn New Member

Hi,
    I thought I would chime in here. I use Kefir, which I culture myself from "Kefir Grains". The advantage is that I only have to pay for milk. You can get more info from the link I left in another post. ( Check my ID and recent posts)

Yes there is a bit of herxing with it. The benefit is that it is high in tryptophan and I take it just before bed....two birds, one glass.

Colin

6. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Jeanne-in-canada,

Hi and thanks for your response.
    First thing in the morning, what if I drink coffee, will it cause the probiotic not to work or cause an upset stomach?

Yes I picked the one with fiber because I thought it might be helpful but then when I got home with it, I questioned my purchase. I just happened to be in the pharmacy picking up my RX and saw it. I had originally planned on buying one from the Prohealth store but I made a spur of the moment purchase. I think because my stomach has been giving me so many problems this week i wanted to hurry up and get started. I hope I didn't make a mistake because I was hasty. Guess time will tell!

Where do you get the Primal defense brand? Sounds like it is working well for you.
    Have you seen benefits in other areas of your body besides your gut, such as pain and/or fatigue improvement?

I don't think I have candida. I don't have thrush and I've only had one yeast infection ever and it was about 20 years ago. I definitely have a sweet tooth, but I think that is hereditary from both sides of my family LOL!

Again thanks so much for your response, I appreciate it!!

Sincerely
    JL
  7. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Mikie,
    Sorry for the tough questions... I just knew you all, you in particular were familiar with this. Sometimes reading lables only takes you so far in understanding, then you need some guidance from others who have tried something before. I know you are great at sharing what has worked for you and respect your opinion and experience.

Initially I had planned to take the one you suggested but I got impatient because of some current stomach problems and jumped the gun at the pharmacy. It was only after I got home that I started to question my purchase. I think I will try it and see what results I get. At a minimum maybe I can get some regularity while ordering some Jarro-Dophilus from Prohealth.

I only take 3 meds per day, one when I first wake up (pain med), one mid day (headache med) and then a night-time med for anxiety/sleep. I haven't taken anti-biotics in years... for some reason despite always being sick with pain and fatigue, I've not caught anything worse than a cold for 5 or more years.

I'm ok with not doing a colon cleanse if the Probiotics will do the trick. The last thing i need is to be driving my kids to school and have a abdominal cramp from having to "go" RIGHT then. My kids might have a laugh at my expense but not something I'd want to be reminded of at every family event for the next 50 years LOL

I don't like to try new things anyway for fear of side effects so one thing at a time is fine for me. If I feel like I am Herxing, I know I can come on here and get some help from the members and get good advice. I've learned so much from everyone here and know that for almost every sitation or reaction someone has gone through it and can offer helpful advice.

Thank you for your advice, you've always been such a help to others. It does take awhile sometimes for us to respond to new ideas but the fact we can learn so much from others and apply to our healing when/if those options apply to us is so great. I know not all paths of healing are the same for everyone which is why I always read everything and tuck it away in my brain for a rainy day, because you never know when it may help your situation.

I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again.
    Sincerely
    JL
    [This Message was Edited on 06/13/2006]
  8. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Thanks for the warning.
    Unfortunately the label didn't have any information besides take 1 pill up to 3x per day. The only other info on the jar was a little explanation about what acidipholos was.
    Which is one of the reasons I had so many questions.

I hate taking new things because I've had such severe reactions to meds and supplements before, so I am always scared to try something new. I always do alot of research about things but sometimes peoples first hand experience and knowledge is better than any label.

It's always great to get both positive and negative feedback, so thank you for your post.
    I'm so sorry however that you had such a bad response to it. I really hope I don't have that too. There is nothing quite as bad as vomiting.
    do you know why your body reacted so badly to it? Was there an alternative to the probiotics for you to try?

I hope you are doing better now. And again thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my post.

Sincerely
    JL

9. justlooking

justlooking New Member

Thanks for your response. I'll read your posts and find out more about Kefir. Sounds interesting. Would be nice to add a good nights sleep to the mix!

Thanks again.
    Sincerely
    JL