mikie or shirl or anyone. ?? re horrible flare-up

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmakitty12, Aug 19, 2003.

1. granmakitty12

granmakitty12 New Member

I am in a horrible flare right now. It has been going on for a couple of weeks. I have been trying to narrow it down as to what is causing it. I have had a stressful summer; but never have been flared like this in years.

This spring and early summer, my doctor "weaned" me off of premarin since breast cancer runs in our family.

Do you think this could have anything to do with it? I am having a few hot flashes now and then.

Anything suggestions at all would be helpful.

thanks, granmakitty
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Sometimes stress will bring on a flare, or over doing ourselves, but there are times it just comes on from out of the blue.

My husband used to be 'looking' for what cause it when I would get a bad one.

I am not familiar with Premarin, so can't help with that I am sure others will be along to share their experience, or you could call the pharmacist and ask them, they would know.

All I can tell you for temporary relief is to take a peroxide and epson salts soak. Its not a cure, but it will give you some relief.

Take;
    3 bottles of Peroxide (large bottles)
    3 cups of Epson Salts

In a tub of water as warm as you can stand it for twenty minutes only. Then go to bed, in fact if you can put a heating pad in the bed to keep it warm. This always helps me.

Have someone rub the areas that are hurting, that helps also.

I know its hot everywhere, but keep your body warm with cotton clothes till this flare is gone. If you body gets chilled it only hurts more.

I do take Advil gel capsules along with a low dose of Xanax if the pain is bad. The Xanax enhances the effects of the Advil and is a great temporary pain reliever. I got this from one of Devin Starlanyl's books.

As for those flashes, all I can tell you is to just wipe your face with a cool towel.

I do take Pro Energy (Malic Acid and Magnesium Glycinate), and ZMA (zinc, magnesium and Vitamin B-6) for sleep every day. But its not going to work in a day. It takes about 10 days to have an effect on the FM pain.

I sure hope you feel better soon, as you know I know that pain!

Let me know how you are doing.....

Shalom, Shirl

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry to hear of this flareup. It's hard to tell what causes them, but I am suspicious of the change in hormone. Our hormones are all connected and when one is tweaked, it affects the others.

Try to reduce the stress with prayer, meditation, Yoga, Tai Chi, or whatever does it for you. Stress is our worst enemy.

I'm sending up a little prayer for you.

Love, Mikie