mikie, pulsing AV's

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by heapsreal, Dec 12, 2009.

1. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Hi mikie, i remember in past posts u mentioning pulsing AV's, hoping you could elaborate more on this. I have done 12 months on famvir with the initial 9 months or so doing well, but this has grinded to a halt and slowly sliding backwards. My blood tests show that my lymphocytes are coming down but just outside of normal, but at the moment blood tests arent corrollating with symptoms.

After my last blood test i mentioned to my doc that i had stopped the AVs as i wasnt improving anymore and that i will keep them at hand if i think i need them, ie worsening of symptoms painful glands etc and will do a 10 day course, which he agreed. The week before stopping AVs i have had a constant headache and has kept going and worsening until 1 week after stopping AVs i double dosed my famvir last night and now taking it twice a day as before. I woke this morn with no headache and worked today without a headache or fatigue. Would the AVs work that quickly? I suppose i will find out after this 10 day course.

Mikie, Im interested in how u pulsed your AVs, as well as anyone elses experience.

2. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

hi heap!

just to let you know that the antiherpetics do have a little effect on XMRV so that could be what is happening with the up and down - if you have XMRV.

for me, the antivirals do seem to work quickly, when they work.

3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

thanks for that sue. I do remember reading in the broken marrionette (book about drugs helpful in cfs) that famvir has quite a broad range of effects and it does have some affect on retroviruses as well as hepatitis and other viruses, so you are probably onto something.

Also wondering if having a short break fom famvir has helped as maybe becoming tolerant to this med. Maybe going off and on at regular interval like 10 days on and 10 days off etc may help it to be more effective.

I will see what replies i get from others and how i go after this 10 day course.

4. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

heap...i think pulsing AV's is a bad idea. thats a sure fire way to develop resistance..isn't it?
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I would have thought so as well, but i remember mikie mentioning having success with this sort of thing, in the same way immune modulators are used like immunovir. My doc said this was ok as long as its not done every second day etc, long pulses??. I know when its used for other herpes infections its used in short courses. I suppose the logic is that 7-10 days is enough to put the infection to sleep so to speak and when it reactivates you hit it again.

Im not really sure, Im just putting it out there to get others opinions and experiences. Resistance was on my mind though, but maybe using all the time causes resistance too.

Its just strange how i improved once going back on again after having a break.

Also read not long ago how retroviral treatment for hiv is being used by some like this also with good success.

Who knows???????? lol
  6. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

7. victoria

victoria New Member

you might find Mikie over at phoenix rising...
    she's not on here much these days :(