Mikie, question about DNA test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Laura62, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Laura62

Laura62 New Member

Hi,

When you write about DNA testing for CFS, is this something you have had done?

If so, did your insurance cover it, and can I assume it was a blood test?

And...were the results difinitive for CFS...or were they to point out other underlying illnesses???

Thanks,

Laura

(If you have already discussed this elsewhere, you can point me in that direction...:) )
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The PCR DNA tests do not test for CFIDS per se; they test for specific strains of pathogens. Many of us got sick with our illnesses following an active infection; this is what happened to me. With others, I believe the infections are infections of opportunity.

Some insurance companies will pay for the testing and other balk or refuse outright. Your doc can write a letter and try to persuade the ins. co. to pay. You can also file a grievence to get them to pay. Sometimes it works. You have to be persistant.

If you pay for it yourself, I think, but I'm not sure, that the labs which do the test will do them without a script from the doc. Jelly really knows more about this than I.

I did not have the test done because we knew that my illnesses were triggered by a mycoplasma infection. A simple antibody blood test picked it up in the infectious stage back in 1991. The doc did not tell me which strain or strains of mycoplasma I had and when I sent for my records, the blood test was not included, but there was a record of his telephone call to me. Unfortunately, the phone message didn't indicate which infection I had.

These tests are expensive and a lot of docs are willing to just prescribe medication on an empirical basis to see what happens. My doc was very comfortable about doing this. At this point, I really don't care what strain(s) of mycoplasma made me sick because the Doxycycline treatment is killing the bacteria off.

There has been a lot posted here on mycoplasmas and if you do a search, it will bring up the past posts.

Love, Mikie