Mikie question on Probiotics????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Nov 13, 2002.

1. I read a post you wrote that everyone should take probiotics on a regular basis. Are you meaning even if you aren't on antibiotics we should take them? Although I must admit over the years, especially the last couple I have taken alot of antibiotics for sinus infections. I use the monistat suppositories or diflucan. But do you really think we need probiotics also? I have a couple times mentioned to different drs. that I was wondering if the yeast was in my entire body and they said that it was very rare. And just poo pooed the question. But I don't trust drs! I DO eat yogurt but I think you would have to eat a ton of it to eliminate yeast!
    FibroButterly
  2. I read a post you wrote that everyone should take probiotics on a regular basis. Are you meaning even if you aren't on antibiotics we should take them? Although I must admit over the years, especially the last couple I have taken alot of antibiotics for sinus infections. I use the monistat suppositories or diflucan. But do you really think we need probiotics also? I have a couple times mentioned to different drs. that I was wondering if the yeast was in my entire body and they said that it was very rare. And just poo pooed the question. But I don't trust drs! I DO eat yogurt but I think you would have to eat a ton of it to eliminate yeast!
    FibroButterly
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I can't answer all your questions, but maybe this will help untill Mikie gets to your post. You can also read more concerning Probiotics if you go to the 'Store' link and type in; Jarro-Dophilus EPS. This is the brand that Mikie and I both use.

HOpe this helps.

Shalom, Shirl

------------------------------------------------------------
    Why Are Probiotics Beneficial?
    Probiotic bacteria – also known as “friendly bacteria,” are important aids to normal digestion and assimilation beyond the simple processing of carbohydrates. Some species of lactic acid bacteria contribute to the digestion of proteins, some deconjugate bile salts and promote healthy cholesterol levels, some produce specific antibiotics, while others stimulate the immune system.

The eight different species found in Jarro-Dophilus EPS are representatives of four different genera: lactobacillus, bifidobacteria, lactococcus, and pediococcus. By supplying a mixture of species from among the most important lactobacilli isolated from the intestinal tract, including Lactobacillus rhamnosus, L. casei, L. plantarum, L. acidophilus and related species, Jarro-Dophilus EPS helps to safeguard all of these areas in which probiotics are so important for preserving health. Bifidobacterium longum BB536 (morinaga strain) has been shown in well-documented trials to stimulate immune response and to help suppress intestinal pathogens. Lactobacillus rhamnosus R0011 is a species which prolifically produces unique polysaccharides which augment intestinal immune response and also facilitate probiotic colonization. Pedicoccus helps to prevent pathogen-induced putrification in the gut.

Requirements for Multi-Species Probiotic Success
    There are several properties that are required from strains of lactic acid bacteria if these are to result in an efficient probiotic. No single strain can easily fulfill all these requirements. A mixture of species – like that found in Jarro-Dophilus EPS, is usually most suitable for supplementation. The most desirable properties of a good probiotic are:

Copied from the Pro Health 'Store' link.

[This Message was Edited on 11/13/2002]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

After about the age of 30, our bodies produce fewer and fewer friendly bacteria. It is often at about this age that people start having bowel problems and food allergies. This is often because of Leaky Gut Syndrome from undergrowth of good bacteria and overgrowth of bad bacteria.

Antibiotics just exacerbate this problem. Buy good quality probiotics containing FOS like the ones sold here and refrigerate them after opening them.

Love, Mikie
  5. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

That's the reason many of us have had to go to alternative or integrative dr.s for help with yeast. Its SO connected to our problems that ImmuneSupport.com has devoted an ENTIRE message board to that topic called CANDIDA.

Here is the address to one of the articles found here at immunesupport.com :
    http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/id/3139/searchtext/yeast/

Hope this helps,
    Annette

P.S.

I did another search on "candida," in the library here, and found four articles....here is the address:

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/powersearch2.cfm?searchtext=candida&I=CFIDS_FM
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2002]
  6. I wonder why most drs. ignore when you ask if alot of our problems can be caused by yeast. I know if you have the vaginal yeast it has to be throughout the body also but they just ignore you. What kind of tests do they do for yeast, blood tests??
  7. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I had a stool test by Great Smokies Lab, but its not covered by insurance. There are other labs that do yeast tests, but like Great Smokies they are usually done by dr.s who dabble in alternative medicine. My stool test told which strain of yeast I had, and if my old dr. would have been a little more thorough, he would have requested the sensitivity panel which told which antifungals the strain was resistant to; this test also showed the kind of bacteria I had in my system. In additon to my GS test, my dr. does do a blood test, which is covered by insurance, but all its really used for is to detect if I have current infections. I have been trying to heal Leaky Gut with the use of l-glutamine; reduced levels of yeast strongly suggests I'm winning the war.

Annette
  8. selenafp

selenafp New Member

I have been studying nutrition for years. I am not a doctor (LOL, nor do I play one on TV). I recommend everyone I know who is trying to lose weight or has taken any kind of antibiotics in the past few years to take garlic pills. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and is also anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and alkalizing to the body. Be careful though, if you take blood pressure meds. the garlic will drop your blood pressure so it should be monitored and your dose lowered as your blood pressure lowers. If you have serious yeast(candida) problems you should definitely consider taking acidopholis and other flora restoring agents. Many people suffering from chronic fatigue have a yeast problem..I have heard that they wonder if the chronic fatigue causes the yeast or vice versa...good luck. Selena

[ advertisement ]