Mikie, Shirl, James..a suggestion

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ForeverFlaring, Jun 11, 2003.

1. ForeverFlaring

ForeverFlaring New Member

This post is sent with a sincere heart to help, not hinder. I only hope it is taken as such.

I can fully sympathize with you as moderators of this community. I have been a chat room monitor and message board operator for 2 websites, (one website has well over 2,000 hits a day) for the last three years. I know it is a thankless job that receives little praise but garners much hostility when the reins are tightened.

With that said, I would like to offer a suggestion. This community is wonderful for support of friends on a bad day, to compare symptoms, and share medical knowledge through trial and error. As more and more people are diagnosed with this DD, they turn to the internet for answers to the questions that are left unanswered as the door to the doctors office closes behind them This site is a Godsend for the hurting, bewildered and the fighters alike.

As more and more people come to this site, they see so many questions that they may have being answered and the whole sense of community is akin to feeling at home. (At least it was for me.) In the excitment of finding like minded people, many new people forget or dont even think to look at the rules. Perhaps a sticky could be placed on the front page at the top stating either the rules of the site or just a reminder to look at the rules before posting.

I am sure that it hurts to have to ban people who may have so much to offer, but I understand that some rules do have to be enforced for company policies. It is hard to accept for everyone, but maybe this idea can be taken into consideration so that we don't lose any others that we have grown to love though their posts.

What a huge post to ask such a simple question, but I just wanted to ensure that you took this as a suggestion not as criticism.

Love and Light,
    Sandy (FF)
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

Maybe we could get a warning before the boot~
  3. shazz

shazz New Member

I found myself "banned" and could not figure out for the life of me why.
    Anyhow, I signed on under another use name, and found that post deleted again.
    Mikie kindly emailed me and said neither she, nor Shirl, nor James had banned me and the system just went nuts.
    Now here is another thought....
    There are alot of "trolls" hanging around the internet, and I have seen them hack into other sites and cause troubles, so that could be something as well.
    But I do agree, reading the rules is a good thing to do.

Hugs,

Shazz
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is a lot of misinformation and speculation which goes on when people don't have the full story. We do not ban people for breaking an insignificant rule without warning.

People get banned for a pattern of rudeness, for disregarding an e-mail warning from a moderator, or sometimes without warning for an action so rude or egregious that it bears banning without warning.

Often, Shirl, James, or I remove offending posts before they are seen by most of the members. Members are often not privy to the info that we are.

Also, we constantly have a problem with people who were banned coming back under a new persona. It is an ongoing problem for us and we remove them again and again. The problem is that our members are so kind and caring and welcome them each time they come back under a new name, believing them to be sincere. Remember that not everyone on the internet is who or what they claim to be.

None of us, especially the moderators, likes to see people banned and we do not do it lightly, but we have to make decisions which are for the benefit of the entire board.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you for your post. I appreciate the support. Our older members like you remember the problems some of these banned "retreads" caused in the past. We are trying to be more proactive before they have a chance to play on the sympathies of our newer members.

Sharon, again we apologize and still do not know what happened in your case, but I am glad you are still with us.

If anyone has a problem, please e-mail one of us or all of us. It has been slow for my mail to reach my mailbox. A lot of times, people address it to Prohealth, but you have to be sure the entired address is there: Mikie-admin@prohealthinc.com.

Love, Mikie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Lynda, I hope it was you who deleted your own post as it wasn't me.

Love, Mikie
  7. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

Mikie,

I sent you an e-mail and explained why. Did not want to start a trend of responses. I don't think it is needed. You nicely explained everything.

Lynda B.