Mikie turmeric and sals?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dlebbole, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Hi Mikie, I appreciate all your encouragement to myself and everyone else regarding the guai protocol. My understanding is that you have to eliminate herbal supplements. Would that include the spice turmeric? I've had cancer twice and MD Anderson is recommending it both as treatment and preventive for many kinds of cancer. Just curious. thanks, Diane
  2. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

3. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

As it's such an important question, I think you can ask directly on the Gauidoc website.

Generally,for help on these sort of questions you would need to post on the Guai Group message board. Dr St Amand's nurse answers questions there. To access it go to the Gauidoc website & use the link, or if you're in the UK your Guai group is on Yahoo. I think there's also an Australian group. You can sign up for daily digests of the board to be sent to you, which is very helful.

I don't think that you can take this in quantities strong enough to be a supplement, but I'm not an expert. best wishes
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2006]
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

E-Mail Claudia and she should be able to tell you. If there are sals in it, because it is so important to you, you might try seeing whether you can tolerate the sals without having them block the Guai. It might require upping the Guai dose. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Hi,
    My doctor knows the guai protocol inside and out, and will in the next year or so release his study as to its effectiveness. (About 60% of patients have near comlete relief). He's especially good at body charting. His delightful attitude is that we may need to try several different routes to find good fibro relief. What works for one person may be completely ineffective and inappropriate for another.
    The way it was explained to me is this: Sals in cooking spices go into your stomach and are changed by your stomach acid so they do not bind instead of guai or block the guai.
    Anything given as an herbal supplement is usually encased in a glycerin capsule. Echinacea for example cannot be used because there are more sals concentrated in the amount of an average pill than your digestive system can neutralize, causing blocking.
    As far as I know, increasing the guai dose will not overcome any sal blocking. The receptors are finite and bind first to any sals in the body, easily accomplished by even walking barefoot in the grass!
    Tibbie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But I have found that at higher doses, the sals are less of a problem. I know it doesn't make logical sense, but a lot about the Guai Protocol isn't really logical. I do believe it works for reasons beyond what Dr. St. A has theorized. We are all different.

Tibbie is right; what is used in food form usually doesn't block the Guai, but I would stay away from mint. What is in supplements is very concentrated and can block the Guai. I assumed that in order to be effective in treating cancer, and because you mentioned supplements, that you take the turmeric in supplement form.

Tibbie, it is wonderful that you have a good doc who is knowledgeable in the treatment. Please let us all know when his book is published.

Love, Mikie
  8. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

Hi,
    My doctor will be publishing a formal study for peer review in a scientific journal, rather than a book. I'm not sure which, if any journal he will get published in, but he does have four years of data including maps of every guai patient of his from every visit.
    I am rather despondent, because at 60-some years of age he has decided to limit his practice to asthma and allergies. He is both an allergist and a rheumy, with impressive credentials in both areas. (Member FACR, etc). His wife has fibro, he has allergies, giving him in my opinion, MORE credentials! It was such a relief to find him, he is so compassionate and believes you when you tell him all the weird things that hurt, for no reason.
    His hard work keeps him in the office until 8 or 9 PM, and he just can't take that anymore, and needs to do something so that he has his own life. He has extended all rheumatology appointments to 1/2 hour each until he can get his patients seen by a physician that will work for them; in 9 more months he will not schedule follow-ups any more. I'm glad he's not just dumping us, but I am really concerned to be able to find someone compassionate and also willing to prescribe opioids when necessary. Migraines had me in a miserable stranglehold with rebound headaches, etc until I went on methadone, whose LONG half-life left the pain receptors bound and finally broke the violent up-down swing of rebound headache. He's savvy about the DEA but unfortunately their Nazi tactics have several good, compassionate General Practitioners in my area (one is my parents' GP) unable to prescribe because of a patient swindling them. Hello, how about we prosecute the DISHONEST PATIENT and not the doctor!!!! (Patients arrested selling their meds deserve the kick-in-the-butt!) I remain hopeful about finding a good doc, and know that I can regognize one but our needs are unfortunately beyond the capability of most docs. My neuro will treat me with a few doses of very strong narcotics for migraine but will NOT treat my fibro, we went through about 12 different migraine preventive drugs in several different drug classes with very poor results. See my post regarding Suicidal thoughts and Topamax. Yikes.
    Just have to keep up hope that I WILL find that appropriate doc and be willing to travel a few hours to do it if necessary.
    Tibbie
  9. bigmh

bigmh New Member

Hi Tibbie...I read with interest you posts about your doctor and your migraines. I am in a similar position as I have had debilitating migraines nearly daily. I have frustrated several neurologists with my lack of response to the long list of drugs that I have tried.

Finally the daily combination of 50 mg Nortriptyline and 60 mg of Inderal has prevented my migraines so that now I only have 2-3 per week....whooppee! But I see my GP for fibro and although he doesn't know anything about the guai protocol, he is willing to back me up. Then I see a pain doc for the methadone.

It is frustrating trying to find doctors to help us, and I wish you the best. I keep wishing there was just ONE doctor and not three, but oh well....good luck...Ann
  10. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Thanks for the info on the turmeric and sal content. I am still in the process of getting rid of all my sals. I've tried the guai before and it was too hard on my stomach. diane
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The Guai can be hard on some people's stomachs. It can also irritate the urinary tract system and the tear ducts. If you find you cannot tolerate it, e-mail Claudia at Guaidoc and ask if she has any tips for you. You can at least take a calcium supplement with one of your meals and that will help pull some of the phosphate debris from your tender points and they will be excreted through the intestines. This tip comes directly from Dr. St. A.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie