.....Mikie......Water Aerobics.....???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BLUEROSE7, Sep 14, 2005.

1. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I had read in one of your post where you are taking Water Aerobics...How is that working out for you?? Are you feeling better afterward?? How long does the class last and how often are you able to go?

My doctor just wrote me out a script to go to the YMCA...they have a separte pool for PT in which now my insurance will pay for right many visits...

I am in dire need of doing some kind of exercise not only to help strengten my muscles but to shed a few pounds as well.

Hugs
    Bluerose

2. orachel

orachel New Member

Aquatic therapy 2-3 times a week. Is this what you're talking abt? Similar program, I almost went to a Y program thru a local hospital, but ended up at a phys therapy clinic instead. Its great! Water is like 92 degrees, and when you slip into pool, its like every single joint that has all that awful pressure and pain just breaths a baby sigh of relief. My program is usually 1 on 1 or 2 patients, so very personalized, and I only do exercises I'm capable of THAT DAY. So, if its bad pain or fatigue day, it is very very mild.

Usually start by walking length of pool (much easier in water than on land, I have real probs walking on land usually), then do 10 reps of couple minor stretches, like rising onto toes, swishing arms back and forth in water, raising legs forwards and sideways. That takes abt 15 minutes, and that's all I can usually do at this point. Beleive it or not, that's a lot for me! But if you can do more, they have tons of other exercises, weights, water chairs for stretching, all kinds of stuff.

Also, my ins covers it unlimited, but sounds like yours doesn't and sessions are literally hundreds of dollard each 15 minutes if not billed to insurance. So, what you need to do is make sure that the facility you go to has a "membership" program. For instance, at my place (which also has a full gym that's pretty amazing and lots of rehab equipment)you can buy a monthly membership that's only $35!! Basically what that means is you can use pool and all the equipment whenever you want, for anything. And after 4-6 sessions you'll know what exercises to do, etc. It is the only semi-affordable way to do a super low impact program which is all a lot of us can handle right now. Plus it's fun...get to let your body dangle on pool noodles...totally relaxing. Plus, I always finish with abt 10 minutes in their whirlpool. I don't know why, but it is much better for painrelief than my hottub at home! Weird.

Anyway, this is totally different from aquatic aerobics. If you got a scrip, its prob for Aquatic therapy. Water aerobics is fun, used to do it before I got sick. My goal is to work into that once my situation improves.

Hope some of this helped you!

Rachel

3. orachel

orachel New Member

Plus, you regularly are evaluated by a physical therapist, and they keep computerized records of exactly what you can do and for how long. I can go month or so between doc visits, so physical therapists see me much more often than that. My PTherapist has begun really FIGHTING on my behalf to help me get my pt disability. She says she'll hang in there even if we end up dealing with lt dis or ssd. This is great as they document your abilities 2-3 days a week in my case...Very persuasive from a disability perspective, plus a good physical therapist can be a great advocate and sounding board.
  4. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

This sounds like something I may be able to do and handle. Yes the doc wrote out a script so you may be right...its probably Aquatic Therapy...

...I may be wrong on the insurance but I think they will pay for only so many visits...Ill have to find out more about that.

The YMCA membership is outragous and im not sure if they even do monthly membership...I know they do yearly..

I went to our YMCA web site for here to try to find out a liitle(but little info on site) and my Doc told me a little...He said it was a separte pool for this and no more then 8 people at a time I believe is what he said....

I think I will definately give it a try...My goal was to get over there this week to learn more and sign up...but had some things arise this week..so hope to get over there at least by first of next week..

Thanks you helped a bunch...
    Hugs
    Bluerose

P.S. I won my Disability in 7/05 but will probably be good records for when Im reviewed...I wish you much Luck with Disability...Hang in there and thanks again

[This Message was Edited on 09/14/2005]
  5. orachel

orachel New Member

Just so you know, we have a y that does exact same thing with separate PT pool. Ours has exact same type of monthly "membership" that includes all pt stuff (same as place I go), plus gym and everything else except childcare and classes like aerobics. Seriously. You can use all the Y stuff for like $40 a month. Most Y's are pretty common, so make sure you talk to the RIGHT person, cause I got 3 idiots who told me all sorts of junk re: aquatic therapy and membership before I finally got the woman in charge of it who gave me the lowdown. Its a special physical therapy membership thing. But, like I said, you can still use all the other stuff, even regular gyms, tracks, etc. Our basic Y membership normally is like $150 join fee for one person then $55 per month....so its just cheaper. Check it out so you don't get stuck paying too much!
  6. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I will check more into the "Ys" monthly membership...I can see paying $40 a month ....much better...especially to be able to use all equipment etc...

I would one day like to think I could work back up to useing some of the weight equipment as well...Plus I would love the indoor Track in the Winter if only able to walk around once is better then nothing...

The sad thing is I have pretty much a whole Gym in my basement before getting hit really hard with all this me and hubby both worked out everyday....

The other sad thing is all that equipment downstairs and I cannot get motivated to use it...which right now thats just to much for me....I think I would do much better having to actually go out to exercise...when I come to that point....I'll just start with the pool for now!!

Thanks Again for all the info...
    Hugs
    Bluerose
  7. orachel

orachel New Member

Feel free to page me if you have any other questions. Was kinda hard to "pin" my ins co down to what they would pay for, so good luck with all of it!
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It is better to take a class in a well heated pool. I live in a condo and we have a large pool next to my bldg. I just go over and basically do the same aerobics in the water that I used to do on the floor. I run, do jumping jacks, run in place lifting my knees to my chest, etc. The water resistance increases the workout and it cushions the joints.

If the water is too cold, it can do more harm than good. It's still in the 90's down here so our pool is nice and warm, but not as warm as they keep the physical therapy pools. In the winter when the temperatures drop to a chilling 80 degrees, our pool is heated. I can pretty much work out all year.

Love, Mikie
  9. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

for your reply...I know I had seen you say something somewhere about Aerboics in the pool....

Thats wonderful you have one that close by and great they heat it up in the cold months...

I think im going to give it a try...I have to do something...for exercise and weight..

Thanks
    Hugs
    Bluerose