MIKIE........What is Guai....does it really work...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lindasue, Oct 21, 2002.

1. lindasue

lindasue New Member

Mikie,
    I just read one of your posts and you mentioned "Guai". I have never heard of it before and am wondering where you get it, how much you take, DOES it really work?
    I take Kolopin and Ultram (100mg 4 X a day of the Ultram). The rummatologist I saw on Friday seemed concerned that I was take too much of the Ultram....So...he wants me to start on Wellbutram, (instead of voloft) flexiril along with my .5mg of klonopin at night and 1 ultram (50mg) no more than 3 times a day.......NOW WHAT.....
    that isn't a question...just a frustrated remark!!!
    Thanks,Hugs,
    Lindasue
  2. lindasue

lindasue New Member

Mikie,
    I just read one of your posts and you mentioned "Guai". I have never heard of it before and am wondering where you get it, how much you take, DOES it really work?
    I take Kolopin and Ultram (100mg 4 X a day of the Ultram). The rummatologist I saw on Friday seemed concerned that I was take too much of the Ultram....So...he wants me to start on Wellbutram, (instead of voloft) flexiril along with my .5mg of klonopin at night and 1 ultram (50mg) no more than 3 times a day.......NOW WHAT.....
    that isn't a question...just a frustrated remark!!!
    Thanks,Hugs,
    Lindasue
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Docs like Ultram because while it has some properties of opiods, it differs from traditional narcotics. Rheumies, especially, have a morbid fear of prescribing narcotics. They prefer using muscle relaxants and anti-depressants.

I have decided to take the Road Less Traveled. I got rid of my Elavil and Flexeril when I found they caused rapid weight gain and really did nothing for my pain or quality of sleep. I take .75 mgs. of Klonopin at night before bed and I sleep like a baby and get up feeling rested and refreshed. It also helps with sensory overload and has gotten rid of my anxiety/panic attacks. I don't have RLS, but Klonopin is used to treat that. Dr. Paul Cheney has a good article on Klonopin in our library here.

I took Morphine for breakthrough pain and ibuprophen for less severe pain until the Guai had a chance to work. Also, I took physical therapy with gentle stretches and flexes which reduce pain, maintain strength, and increase flexibility.

The Guai is an involved treatment, but it is the only treatment which offers the possibility of reversing FMS symptoms. I rarely take anything for pain now. I have some remission days where I feel almost "normal."

You can use our search feature to read all the posts on the Guai (Guaifenesin). Dr. Paul St. Amand is the father of this treatment and has written a book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About FIBROMYALGIA." You can actually read some of the book on his website. It is absolutely necessary to buy the book and fully understand the protocol before using the Guai or failure is guaranteed. Guai is dirt cheap and has almost no side effects, but you must eliminate medications with aspirin, supplements with herbal extracts, and personal-care items with botanicals in them. It explains all this in the book.

This treatment is a long-term process. I've been on it a year and a half. I am better than half way reversed, probably closer to 3/4 of the way. Until there is a cure, you have to continue to take the Guai for the rest of your life. Unfortunately for me, I also have CFS, so my fatigue and cognitive problems continue. I'm on antibiotic therapy for the CFS because it was triggered by a mycoplasma infection.

In addition, I take .25 mgs of Synthroid even though my labs were normal. My labs are still normal, improved even, and I feel so much better on the Synthroid. I also take Estradiol and Progestin which seem to help with sweats and palpitations.

Would I do the Gaui again? In a heartbeat! You've got almost nothing to lose and everything to gain. Where would I be today if I hadn't decided to start the Guai a year and a half ago? I'd probably still be on Morphine. One more thing, the Fibro Fog cleared up almost immediately when I started the Guai. Good luck. Read the book if you are interested and then ask me any specific questions or you can e-mail Claudia, Dr. St. Amand's co-author.

Love, Mikie