Mikie, you're back.............

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IntuneJune, Nov 4, 2010.

1. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Good to see you posting again. I was worried.... (check out my last post here on Chit Chat).

Will look forward to reading your posts again.

Hope you continue to feel better now that you have more free time. You had a difficult job for someone with our problems.

Everytime there was a story brewing in Florida, I thought of you.

Hope to be able to catch up. Time for me to get ready for bed.

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Soooo good to see your post. I've missed everyone here. I've always enjoyed your posts so much and look forward to "talking" with you again. I'm still trying to catch up on energy and it's slow going. I waited too long to retire. Take care.

Love, Mikie
  3. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I have been retired from my "real" job three years now. It does not seem possible. My alarm went off 4:30 in the morning..... It was great to turn that off. However, I am still waking up at that time three years later.

I am teaching aquatic exercise still, this is something I really enjoy and it is a shove to get me out the door. Occasionally, I have too many classes in a week as I sub for other instructors, but a normal week is five classes. My favorites are mind/body classes, those classes with folks who have issues.

On another thread, I read about the bed-bugs in the library, that was the first I heard of them residing in books! EEEEgads.

4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I'm glad to see that you are back. So many of the people that were here when I first joined are gone. I get to the chit chat board only sporadically, but I wanted to say Hi.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have missed you guys more than I realized when I was busy working and spending the rest of my time sleeping. It's really nice to be back.

June, you are amazing. I admire you for keeping so active and involved. We have water aerobics three times a week here but it's mostly just movement, not enough to get the heart rate up. Also, there's more socializing going on than exercising. There's nothing wrong with that; I miss hanging out with friends here too. When I'm feeling better, I put on my watch with the built-in heart rate monitor and run in the shallow end. I get my heart rate to about 80 percent of max and keep it up for about 20 mins. It's cold here, for us, right now so I wouldn't be doing it anyway until things warm up.

Yes, there was a chapel on TV, all wood pews with no cushions. The bedbugs were living in the Bibles! AACK!!! There is carpeting and upholstered chairs in our beautiful new library and the bugs were biting people on the ass. They may have gotten them out of the chairs but I don't see how they could get to all of them living in books. I'm just sick and tired of dealing with brand new books which have been treated so badly and have nasty stains on them. I don't want them in my bed even if there are no bedbugs. I'll buy books or download them to the Kindle from now on. Our condo annual mtg. is being held at the library and I'll be sending in my proxy. I'm not going. I have enough problems without a bedbug infestation. My skin's crawling as I type.

Again, great to see you here.

LittleBlue, I'm so glad you stopped in and said, "Hi." I think there are a lot of us who used to be here more often but only drop in occasionally now. I hope you are doing well.

Love, Mikie
  6. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Yep! You hit the nail on the head.

Water classes really run a full spectrum of experiences. The Arthritis Foundation holds instruction for leaders who want to lead an Arthritis Foundation class. It is a community oriented program understanding that the participants may only see folks that day in the class. There is very little stretching....the word was not even in the manual if I remember, but "reaching" was used. The class served its purpose, training folks in the community who had no other background with simple and easy routines, getting folks into the water for friendship and gentle movement.

I am certified by the Aquatic Exercise Association and cannot speak enough of this organization.

Many students with issues come to the pool believing anything goes once in the water. If you exercise in waist deep water, you are off-loading about 50% of your weight. If a participant takes an hour class, weighs 150 lbs, and exercises in waist deep water, those compromised joints are still getting 75 bls impact for 45 minutes (given there is a stretching portion of the class. )

There are so many ways around this, working for a calorie burn without doing any harm. It's a beautiful thing.

Then many FM/CFSers cannot "work" in the pool at all, however, being in the water, breathing and relaxing has physiological benefits also.

It is a fortunate participant who can get to a pool!

Love, June
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am lucky to live down here in the jungle where I have access to the pool all year round. We have mostly year-round people in the class but when the Snowbirds come down, they join in. I run in the most shallow part of the pool in about 3 1/2 feet. That way, I can go pretty fast but there is enough water to cushion my knees. For other exercists, the deeper water offers more resistance. Hanging on a noodle in the deep end helps massage the lymph nodes and gets them draining.

Now that I'm no longer standing for hours at work, both knees are doing well (knocking on wood here :) My Sketcher sneakers helped enormously and when I'm up to it, I plan on doing some walking with them. Being in the pool is wonderful but I like to walk because it is so exotic and beautiful down here. I see all kinds of wildlife, especailly when I walk around ponds. I'm always mindful of gators. Once a little possum was close to the path and, knowing their eyesight isn't good, I said, "Hi, possum," so it wouldn't panic. Well, it stood its ground and hissed at me--how rude!

Speaking of glands, I have a strange type of dry eye from the oil glands in the eyelids. I'm going to post it separately because it's only recently that docs can measure it. I think it's important.

Well, lady, you continue to dazzle me with your knowledge of water rehab techniques. That, and how hard you work to help others. You remain, as always, in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  8. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

Good to see you around again.

I just post on Chit Chat now--going through other posts and boards is too overwhelming.

I retired in August, and seem to be busier now then when I was working. My life has been absorbed with my Dad the last six months or so, as he was dx'ed with Stage IV cancer in Sept. Difficult.

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's with mixed emotion I read your post. It's soooo good to hear from you but I am so sorry about your Dad. I'll add him to my prayer list. I always pray for everyone here in general. Bless you for taking care of him. I know it's difficult.

Love, Mikie
  10. jole

jole Member

I haven't been on this site for months...too much illness, death, surgery etc. in family lately. But to finally come on here and see you is a joy! I've wondered how your life is going, and would give anything (well, almost) to live in Fla. The weather here is so cold, and winter keeps me totally confined indoors. Already quite a few 30 degree days..

Don't know if I could do much in the way of water aerobics but it would be great to try. It's just not an option here. The only place to have an indoor heated pool other than a couple very expensive health clubs is the college......and it's an hour's drive from here.

Bedbugs! In church books....oh my gosh! You live in a condo, right? I would think it would be quite hard to keep them from spreading there no matter how diligent you are. Best of luck to you! We had roaches years ago brought home in groceries, and what a mess that was! But I hear it doesn't even compare to the bedbugs!

So happy you've retired and have some time for you now. I'm sad that you've lost ground in your health issues by working, and hope you gain it back quickly. Hugs to you......Jole
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for your sweet words. It's a joy to see you here too. I'm so glad I've been dropping in lately. I think there are still some of us "old timers" who come around now and then.

I don't think I would have ever healed as much as I did had I not left CO. It wasn't the cold there; it was the thin, dry and dirty air. I was sick all the time. Now, even with the humidity here, I've had nonstop sinus infections. I mentioned it to you in June's post. FL isn't perfect but the climate does seem to be healthier for many. The first thing which struck me more than 20 years ago, when I first visited, was how healthy looking the older people seemed to be. In CO, they were all stiff and hauling oxygen tanks around with them. Down here, they are all spritely and tan and active. It's hard living in a cold climate, especially when one is sick.

As far as I know, no one in our condos has bed bugs but they are in a lot of store dressingrooms, theaters, the library and public transportation. I'm flying to Atlanta for Thanksgiving and I'll be on the lookout for any in the seat. They recommend you unpack your suitcase outside and put the clothes in the dryer. You look the suitcase over for any bugs. You go inside and check what you are wearing for any bugs. Usually if there are bugs in your clothes, you have bites on your body. Yikes!

Also, as far as I know, we don't have roaches in our condos. We have a pest control co. spray outside quarterly and they will spray inside if we want. The landscapers also spray for pests which infest plants. That may be why we don't have them. Every now and then, one of those huge bugs, which looks like a roach on steroids, comes inside. They are always dead or nearly dead and it's rare that they make it inside the condos. I actually have fewer bugs here than I did in CO.

Great talking to you. Take care.

Love, Mikie