Mikie

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Nov 15, 2005.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Hi, I was wondering if you are back on the Klonopin. I am interested because I feel it may be what I need to use again for occasional anxiety.

I recently tried Zoloft (for a few days) until I read what Dr. Cheny said about it frying your brain. I am glad I got the feedback before I took it for any longer.

I hope you are doing ok.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hope you are doing well too.

Yes, I am back on the Klonopin at a lower dose. I weaned down to .5 mg. at night and decided that I do need it. I am back on it but at a lower dose than before--.75 mg. at night instead of the 1 mg. I had been on.

I later heard that it is helpful to wean down every now and then to keep from building a tolerance. I really didn't want to keep having to take more and more even though the tolerance built very slowly. I've been on Klonopin about 4 years and in that time, I went from .5 mg. to .75 mg. to 1 mg. at night before I felt the effects of the tolerance again. If I need to go back to 1 mg. again, when that stops working, I will again wean back down a bit and then go back to .75 mg. I may have to do this every few years to keep the dose down.

Dr. Cheney believes we should take the highest dose which does not leave us groggy in the morning but allows us to get a good night's sleep. This can actually change from day to day. If I'm having symptoms of seizure activity during the day, I still slip 1/4 of a tablet under my tongue to calm my brain. A lot of times, I have tinnitus in the evening and I'll take a little to stop the ringing in my ears.

Klonopin is so flexible and that is what I love about it. I hope Cheney is right and that it is protecting our brains. I do know seizure activity isn't good and does burn out the neurons.

Now, in the TV ads for SSRI's and SNRI's, they say to tell your doc if you have had seizures. I think Cheney is right that these meds are not good for us. He tends to use dramatic language and I'm not sure they fry one's brain, but if enough neurons die prematurely, it could have a harmful effect.

Cheney says he has never seen anyone have trouble weaning off the Klonopin when it is no longer needed. He talks about the three stages of CFIDS. Younger people who get treatment early on have a good chance of recovery. They are probably the ones who can get off of it. People like me who have been sick a loooooong time may never fully recover and may have to take the Klonopin for life. As you know, I have made progress but it's very slow. I may not live long enough to recover :)

I continue to believe that there will be a cure or more effective treatments in the not too distant future. Perhaps then, we can all stop taking some of these things.

Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator