MIL Update Not good

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Mom's doc called me today and asked me to come over and pick up some paperwork.

She had a colonoscapy (sp?) last week and they took a biopsy of a mass in her colon.

They did a CAT scan this morning and were supposed to see her Thursday to give her results.

They found an "abnormality" on the CAT scan and called her to schedule an MRI and ultra-sound for Thursday morning. She told them to call me and have me pick up the instructions for her.

The surgeon just happened to come into the office area why I was there. He asked me if I was with Mrs B and I told him yes. He wanted to know the relationship and I told him I was her daughter-in-law.

He asked if he could "talk" to me. When I said yes, he told me Mom's biopsy was positive. He thinks the abnormality in her CAT scan is another tumor in the gall bladder.

She doesn't know and my husband doesn't know. I have to go home and tell my DH that his Mom has cancer. I am so upset and stressed! I don't want to go home!

Pray for all of us now, Mom, DH, and me!

Thank you,
    Greenbean
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

The cancer diagnosis is never easy----I know, I got diagnosed with leukemia just over six weeks ago; you are never prepared for this, and your family isn't either.

I did want to say that my Dad had colon cancer surgery about 10 years ago, and is a healthy 91-year-old guy right now who still works part-time (in fact he's a heck of a lot healthier than me right now!) so don't necessarily assume the worst. Stay positive if you can for your hubby & MIL, and keep your sense of humor (it's gotten me thru my first round of chemo; still got miles to go) and just BE there for your family. I will certainly add you all to my prayers.

Keep us posted on how you all are doing---you'll always have a lot of support here!

((((Hugs))))
    Pam
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

What a dreadful thing. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

What is the prognosis? Did they remove the mass in the colon? Was that also cancer? Or is it the gallbladder. Will she have it removed. How old is she?

I feel so very sorry for you and your MIL.

Love Anne C
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

How is your treatment going? I know that some leukemias have an almost 100% cure rate, like hairy cell. How are you coping. It is wonderful you are being so brave. God bless you.

Love Anne C
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thanks, Annie

Mom is 81 and very fragile. I am as concerned about her recovering from surgery as I am about the cancer.

They don't know if the "abnormalilty" in the gall bladder is a tumor or maybe just gall stones. There is also a larger than normal opening in the bile duct, which may indicate another mass there.

She had a CAT scan yesterday and will have an MRI and an ultra-sound in the morning.

We have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow afternoon for results and I suppose to discuss options.

Having to tell my DH that his mom had cancer was really hard. He didn't cry, but was very upset. He went outside for a few minutes, then came in to get his steak to BBQ. I went out and sat with him on the deck, but just sat quietly until he wanted to talk. Please pray for him also, he will have to tell his brother and sister after we see the surgeon tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks all for your prayers!

hugzz
    Greenbean