Mild Pain Management, do you feel this way?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeryn, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

I started some meds that have vastly improved my pain as a secondary effect (prozac for depression, gabitril for sleep), but I still feel some now and again and when one wears off I really feel it.

Now, this may sound crazy, but I think I felt "better" when I could feel the pain all the time. I had no pain free moments to compare it to! I have fairly mild symptoms, or so I thought, until I stopped feeling pain. What had been perfectly manageable and what my husband and I joked about as "my bag of complaints" became terrible pain. The pain hasn't changed, just my attitude towards it.

I'm probably going off the gabitril anyway, but I think I'd really rather not have any pain meds beyond the 2 or 3 ibuprofen I used to take when things got nasty.

I know the people with real hard pain can't do this, but do mild pain people feel this way?
  2. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

since I have CFS. But I do have pain daily--mild, intermittent, and transitory. Because it's transitory I figure taking something is pointless since there's really no pain? (Hope that makes sense.)

When I started having headaches all the time, I tried to avoid taking any meds except when it just wouldn't go away or was really fierce. After awhile I got tired of having them all the time and I took meds more often. Now I'm back to only occasionally--it's easier on our bodies, especially for NSAIDs.

I think you should handle your pain the way you want to and not let a doctor tell you how to. Unless, of course, there's a REAL reason he feels you should treat it differently and explains it to you and you agree.
  3. Iggy_RN

Iggy_RN New Member

or go w/short acting meds other than gabitral and prozac. There are many things out there that last as long as Ibuprofen, but less toxic to the liver. Motrin or (IBU) is pretty rough on the liver, I would not take it alot. Just go w/what you need to help you out. There were periods where I didnt need anything, and then other times THat are he**. Lately, I personally have to be on sustained release meds, due to such chronic pain I need to have it under control... these meds do not damage the liver at all, because they are a pure opoid. I will keep you in my prayers, Love Iggy
  4. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

I am amazed by you all and how well you all do given the pain levels people report. I count my blessings when I read this list.

I am stubborn too and appreciate the support that it is maybe not such a bad trait!