Mildly hypothyroid - ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lurlasgirl, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

If a person is mildly hypothyroid (and the dr. won't supplement) will using kelp and/or other iodine containing supplements help?
  2. badluck

badluck New Member

but just wanted to see what feedback you get. I recently started having symptoms of thyroid problems and am not getting much feedback. Good luck finding some answers!!
  3. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

I could just go ahead and try it and see what happens ...

I'm mostly my own guinea pig anyway ...

If I decide to do that, I'll let you know what I find out. :)
  4. taniar

taniar New Member

I feel badly that y'all are not getting more answers from our group. I have one endrocronologist(sp.) who refuses to give thyroid meds because I test normal. One other says if you have the symptoms you might be subclinical which means you hve the symptoms but test normal. I have a consistent low temp in the AM before arising. This is an indicator by
    a doctor Wilson--think they call it Wilson's syndrome. You might check the net for that. Sorry, I don't know if kelp helps. Just keep trying, doubt if it can hurt you, lulasgirl.

Tania
  5. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

Hi I have had Hypo thyroid for 6 years. Just this last year my 15 year old daughter was showing signs of hypothyroid and I took her to the doctor and they said her tests show normal. I struggled and struggled with weight with abnormal periods with cold hands and feet with low temps etc. The doctors took one look at me and they said it was not thyroid problems it was just I over eat etc. after 10years of struggle I finally was diagnosed like I said 6 years ago, and now tyring to see about getting help for my daughter before she gets too far down this road with no answers.
    I can't answer your question I just wanted to say keep in there and keep letting them know your symptoms. It took me the right doctor to finally diagnose me.

Wishing you a road of health and a good doctor.

Christina
  6. teacher

teacher New Member

but have tried over-the-counter thyroid support supplement. I'm just mildly also and my doc is pleased with the results I've shown so far.

Happy hunting,

Teacher
  7. fibromaster

fibromaster New Member

I belong to two thyroid support groups and from what I've read those kind of supplements have limited benifits. Did you doctor check you free t3 and free t4?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Excess iodine supplementation will not help low thyroid sufferers.
    http://www.doctoryourself.com/thyroid.html
    Inside Mary Shomon's Medicine Cabinet

People are always writing to me to ask "what drugs and supplements do YOU take?" First off, let's be clear...the optimal combination of supplements for you is the one that will work best for YOU. And what works best for me may not work best for you. I've come up with my own regimen with my physicians and health practitioners, after years of trial and error. Here are the things I regularly take most days or times of the year:

They include:

Armour Thyroid
    Thymic Protein
    Sambucol
    L-Lysine
    Royal Cat's Claw Extract
    Daily Energy Enfusion, and B Complex
    Vitamin C
    Essential Oils
    Eskimo Oil
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Probiotics
    Coenzyme Q10
    B-12
    Sleep Formula
    http://thyroid.about.com/b/a/059642.htm
    Supporting a multitude of vital roles
    The thyroid gland is an endocrine gland, located in the neck, that is involved with temperature regulation and many other vital roles, including the immune system.

Poor concentration, confusion, memory problems, cold hands and feet, weight gain, menstrual problems, sleep disorders, dry skin, thinning hair and low energy levels accompany hypothyroidism, (a decline in the secretion of hormones from the thyroid gland). Therefore, it is no surprise that thyroid supplements can help address all these situations, without doubt thyroid supplements are one of the broadest improvers of aging disorders.

Aging often leads to hypothyroidism and Ward Dean MD believes that this is "an under-diagnosed epidemic." Dr. Dean also believes that the natural thyroid extracts are more beneficial than the synthetic versions, this is because the synthetic versions usually only comprise of one of the thyroid hormones, (i.e., T3 or T4). Furthermore, whole-natural thyroids are often chosen over synthetic versions, because they cover a fuller spectrum of thyroid hormones, including T1, T2, T3 and T4.

The whole thyroid supplements are of USA porcine origin. Whole thyroid is measured in grains, 60mg = 1 grain. One grain or higher dosages are potent and usually require temperature monitoring and occasional blood tests. Persons with more-serious thyroid conditions are often be prescribed it, and dosages under a physician's guidance can often reach 3 to 5 grains daily. However dosages of more than one grain are usually increased by a grain over one to two weeks.

Quarter grain and half grain whole thyroid supplements (15mg to 30mg)) provide a "lesser" potency and accordingly help support an aging thyroid condition. However, long-term use of low dose whole thyroid extracts may also require occasional breaks and monitoring.

Whenever necessary, increase or decrease your thyroid dosage as slowly as possible, i.e. over days and weeks.

Reduce or stop thyroid supplementation if any of the following occur:

You feel unwell.
    Your rising-from-bed-in-the-morning temperature is over 98.2 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Your resting pulse is more than 75 beats a minute.
    Your thyroid function blood tests are abnormal.

http://www.antiaging-systems.com/a2z/thyroid.htm