Military Pharmacy problem...Anyone have this problem to?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Treca, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Treca

Treca New Member

Ok, so the pharmacy here on base has this setup where they have all these pills in orange bins. When they need the pills they put it in this machine and then the type in the number of pills they want and out pops the pills and they are held there until the pharmacist lifts the lid and they drop into the bottle they are holding.

So here is my problem. The doctor I have thinks that this thing is very very correct and that it is an EXTREMELY rare that it can count the pills wrong...well well well I beg to differ.

This is the second time that this perfect machine has messed up. The first time it gave me 60 pills instead of 90 and this time it gave me 98 pills instead of 90.

Any other military folks have this problem if your using your military hospital pharmacy? If so what do you do about it?

I see my doc on the 19th and plan to tell him that if he doesn't start believing me I'm going to have to find another doctor or we can go back to the way things were and have my other doctor see me and then she will go through him. Does that make sense to you guys? :)

I swear I just want to pull out my hair!! AAARRRGGGHHH...

I'm so tired of really stupid doctors.

Thanks guys.

Treca

2. gregmisc

gregmisc New Member

I have used 2 different military pharmacies here in CO without a problem. I know at least one has the orange bins, can't see the other.
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

leave? that way they can fix the problem before it gets out of hand...

jdoie
  4. kjfms

kjfms Member

if the Pharmacy Tech doesn't want to count them I would insist that someone stand and watch while you count.

Maybe you could spread the word and if enough people ask for a count or for someone to watch them count it maybe someone would at least look at this system.

Good grief...you can't tell what era I come from at all can you? Yes I did participate in a few set ins while in high school :)

While computers might not make mistakes (they have glitches) they are programed by humans and we humans have been known to make one or five ;)

Sorry that your physician doesn't believe you.

Best of luck,

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 07/07/2006]
  5. Treca

Treca New Member

Even though the majority of the time you have to wait forever (think DMV and that waiting system that they have). Sometimes your lucky but, the majority of the time you'll be waiting.

I'm thinking that because of that wait they will probably won't be wanting to count them out. We'll see how it goes the next time I get my meds. When they start filling the meds I'll have them count all them before they put them in the bottles.

I just find it really aggravating when these Pharmacists and doctors think that this system is fool proof. Like it was said we are human and we made the computer that is counting out the pills. There is NO way it's perfect. I don't think that they stop to think that it's a human that has to enter the number of pills the computer has to dispense. Even though a human entered in the right number on the pharmacy computer system does not mean they entered it right on the medicine computer system.

Oh well they are just gonna have to deal with me counting out my pills right there if they won't have a tech do it for me. I bet by then they will be dying for a tech to do it..he he he...count really really slow...;)

Thanks again guys!

Treca:)
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Well, I do not mean to sound really paranoid but in today's world ya just never know. If this continues I'd inform the Post Commander you never know if someone may be stealing one here and one there for a sale outside .

I don't want to think that but it does happen. Maybe if they have to be inspected they all will realize the importance of checking it out when we have a complaint .

I'm sorry that your Doc didn't believe you .I would wonder how serious he takes our DD if he doesn't even believe that computers can make mistakes.
  7. Treca

Treca New Member

I'm gonna let him have it.

I haven't seen him in a month now so he doesn't know how I feel right now. I've only talked to him over the phone which got me ticked about the inaccurate pill count.

I've learned through this DD that we don't have time to deal with doctors that don't believe us. So the faster that we can figure the doctor out the better for us so we can move on.

In all actuality I've only seen this doctor twice even though I've been here for 6 month. What happened was I saw him Dr. McQuown and right off the bat I didn't like him. I just had a feeling. I know that he noticed it and acted like he was sending me to see someone else that could possibly help me. ha ha ha. He sends me to see a Dr. Woods in Internal Medicine and I like her right off the bat. Great great lady. Well I noticed that when I would pick up my meds it said Dr. McQuown on it. So I asked her and she said that she could not prescribe anything to me so she had to go through Dr. McQuown. Well come to find out she is a pharmacists.

All he did was have me see someone else as a go between because he knew that I didn't like him.

Well after being on the meds I'm on now for the past 5 1/2 months he wants to see me again. So I see him and still don't like him and he wants me to just see him from now on. Which isn't gonna happen. I gave the guy a second chance and there is just something about him that just rubs me the wrong way. His bedside manner is awful. You just get the feeling that he thinks your lying to him about your DD.

Yep like I said this appt. coming up will be the last I see of him. Time to move on.

Sorry so long guys. This subject just gets me heated.

Isn't this just fun. :)

Hugs,
    Treca
  8. findmind

findmind New Member

I have used the VA system for 20 years.

When I wanted to change drs, I just requested it. It is very easy to do, and it is not held against you in any way.

You can just list personality differences as a reason, that's all you need.

The pharmacy sends me the correct amt of meds each month, in the mail. I've never had a problem, and I have seen the "counters" they use when get a new script after dr. visits.

Drs have to see us every 6 mos in order to comply with the laws governing oversight for Rx'ing meds.

I have written several letters to the Director of the hospital with very good results; maybe that would help you, and keep relations between you and the people who have to treat you a bit cooler, LOL.

Best to you,
    findmind
  9. Treca

Treca New Member

doctors many times and it is very easy. They actually have in my record that I will not see a certain doctor that I saw once.

I don't know why but, for some reason they prescribe the meds no longer then a month supply. It's very aggravating and not convenient. I hoping that when we get to where we are going that I'll find a good doctor and one that will prescribe meds that will last for more then a month. I don't know if I will have the security of an on base hospital or not sense hubby will be a Recruiter and who knows where we will be.

The next time I go to the doctor I'm going to ask around and see if anyone else is having the same problem with the pill count like I am.

I wish that I could get my meds in the mail. They only offered to do my Lunesta through the mail. The thing I worry about if I were to get all of my meds through the mail is someone stilling it and using it for other purposes and the other problems that will lead to it if that should happen.

As far as keeping a cooler head I completely agree and thats why I always do because just like you said they are the ones that are treating you. I just vent on here with my aggravation because I know that you guys understand how big a pain it is dealing with doctors. This is the only place I can go where people understand.

I hope that my experience with doctors will get better at the next place we are at.

Thanks findmind for responding. If things don't change I will be writing a letter to the Director of the hospital.

Take Care,
    Treca