Milk Thistle & Dandelion - which one first?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by TwinMa, Dec 6, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I'm new to the world of herbs.

I want to start to do something to clean up my liver. From what I have read, it seems like Milk Thistle would be a good choice. I also bought some Dandelion to help flush things out of my blood. I also picked up Pau D'Arco for immune support and Grape Seed Extract as an antiviral, but I plan to wait to start those until my liver is a bit more detoxed.

Which one should I start first? Would taking Milk Thistle and Dandelion together be a good or bad idea? How many days should I wait before adding in a new herb? What should I expect when I start either the Milk Thistle and/or the Dandelion?

I am also taking:

Probiotic
    Aloe vera juice and Lemon
    Stormy’s shake
    Garlic
    Ultimate Greens
    And a number of other supplements as well as several prescription meds.

Thanks for your help.

Katy

SuperKirby likes this.
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

so I'd start w/ that one. Maybe give it a week before started milk thistle. They do work well together are found in synergistic formulas, so it's safe, but milk thistle can be a very aggressive detoxer so start small.

keep in mind, you have alot of detoxing herbs, so you could end up w/ overwhelming detox/herb symptoms. I know I would. For me, just pau d'arco, garlic, milk thistle, or GSE alone gives me strong detoxing.

Jeanne
    SuperKirby likes this.
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

You have both given me good information.

Jeanne - I did have an immune response from the garlic I am taking. I increased from one pill to two and had a mild response. I just went up from two to three pills and again had a mild herx. Sore throat, achy, fluish. That makes me think it is doing something! I'm leveled off now. So I will definitely be careful when adding in these new herbs.

Stormy - Thank you for posting the additional info on Pau D'Arco and Grape Seed. Whenever I read those blurbs (blurbs on herbs, HaHa--doesn't take much to amuse me), it sounds like they can cure anything!

Stormy, where do you find those postings on herbs? You always come up with good ones.

I will begin to add them one at a time, and see what happens. Thanks for your input!!

Katy
    SuperKirby likes this.
  4. sdown

sdown New Member

Hi, Ive been taking milk thistle on and off for 5 years. Both my US and Canadian doctors say its good. Some days I take 1 tbsp some days I take 3 tbsps. Then I might take a break and not take it for 1 week. Besides that I take hawthorn for shortness of breath also recommended by the doctor. I wouldnt take too many detox things all at once. It might prove to overwhelming for you. Ive had Pau D'arco tea before but I didnt ask the doctor about that one. I only used it a few times about 4 years ago. I stick with garlic, acidophulus & bifidus (recommended by doctor), cod liver oil, a teaspoon or two a day dissolved in water of apple cider vinegar (doctor said OK on that one) and gingko biloba for an energy booster and B12 drops under the tongue. Take care and good luck with everything. I find the milk thistle in liquid form works best. The doc said it gets into your bloodstream whereas the pills get destroyed in your gut. Well 50% of it anyway. So I get my milk thistle from the Health Food Store in liquid form.
    SuperKirby likes this.
  5. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Great question! I've been on stormyskyes shake for about 6 week now with probiotics. I finally figured out for me i had to add strawberries to the shake, now i like it.

I just bought spirilina to add next.

Wish my computor wasn't out of ink i want to print this!!

SuperKirby likes this.
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Mouse - sorry I don't know anything about milk thistle for doggies. You might want to start a separate post to have more people see your question. I think there's lots of people with pups here.

morningsonshine - I add lots of frozen fruit to Stormy's shake and it's delicious! I add frozen strawberries, peaches, cherries, blueberries and pineapple. I don't care for mixed berries because I don't like the seeds.

I've been taking the milk thistle and dandelion combo now for about 3 months. I think it has helped. I feel like my liver is less congested, if that makes sense!

When I started the milk thistle, I did get a bit of an immune response. About two days after I started it, I felt slightly fluish and achy. This only lasted one day.

When I started the dandelion about two weeks later, I had no reaction.

The Pau D'Arco was another story. I didn't do well with that. I had a very bad headache and felt lousy for a week. I've only just stopped that one. Still not sure what to make of it, but I don't think it's right for me.
    SuperKirby likes this.
  7. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Member

Hi. Sorry, this is an old thread and I'm not sure if this forum is pro-new thread or bumping up old ones.

Anyway, I decided to start taking milk thistle or dandelion. I have no health conditions and I'm not taking any meds or supplements. I just slowed my alcohol intake to once a month or every month but was going weekly before that and want to help my liver out slowly.

Should I take both? Or just start one of them first then go into two? Thanks...
  8. jumpshot

jumpshot Member

if U want to detox your liver, ask your doc to call in to a compounding pharmacy glutathione troches (I take l00 make twice daily) helps my breathing for sure (bronchitis from allergies) doesn't help allergies but can be used for asthma my allergy doc said,