Milnacipran Drug Study Update - August, 2005

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Toga, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Toga

Toga Member

Hi Everyone,

Went to the drug study doc yesterday. I have one more visit in 8 weeks an that is it. I'm done. He says he will probably start me on Cymbalta immediately.

He told me that there is another study on this drug beginning soon. Seems the company that bought the study now wants to start over, I guess. It's all very complicated and I really don't understand it.

They bought the rights to the study but not the drug. It doesn't make sense to me since drug studies cost money but selling the drug once it is FDA approved makes money. Right?

It sounds like they want to start over so they can say they completed the study themselves instead of coming in in the middle of the whole thing.

I asked if this is going to delay FDA approval. He said he didn't know. But I bet it does.

Now I'm worried about whether my Ins Co will cover Cymbalta. I would call them but every time I've done that I never get a definite answer.

Iam going to try and exercise more in the next eight weeks, something I have mostly neglected of late since I have been so busy with other things. I am hoping that will increase my energy and prepare me somewhat for being taken off the drug.

Shaken - Have you been to your doctor yet? If so, let us know how your are doing. In fact, let us know anyway.

I would also love to hear how anyone else is doing on Milnacipran or Cymbalta. I would especially like to hear from those who have goine from the drug study onto Cymbalta.

I get the impression that this study is almost over so there should be more people that have had to switch to another drug. I would like to know what you are on and if it is working or not.

Thanks everyone,

Toga
  2. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

I am so surprised that they cannot get FDA approval moving on this drug faster since it is approved in quite a few counties on the other side of the world. I think I read that it is doing great in Japan. I think I also read it has been approved over there since 1997. Can't the FDA use the information from over there to get this approved here SOON. I am holding out LOTS of hope for this drug when it becomes approved here for fibro.
  3. Toga

Toga Member

I could be wrong but I don't look for FDA approval for quite a while. They don't like to approve anything for pain too quickly or depression, for that matter.

They want us to just put a cold rag on our heads.

I'm serious, government bureaucacy is disgraceful. And they don't think there's any smart people in other countries.

Now this is just my impression and I could be wrong. And I hope I am.

Toga
  4. blondie45

blondie45 New Member

I think I did read that the soonest this drug would be FDA approved would be later in 2006. To me, that is like an eternity yet!!!!
  5. schaken

schaken New Member

I am doing pretty well off of drugs.

I am just taking tylenol every 4 hours.

Just had a colonoscopy today. Didn't say anything on the thread because my experience was not bad.

I was having changes in my bowels. My Mom died from colon cancer. The Dr agrees with me that anytime I see a change I should get the test done.

I had just had one done 2 years ago. She removed 8 polyps. I go back to her in 2 weeks to make sure that they were not cancerous.

She did tell me that have have IBS. REALLY!!!! I figured that out a couple of years ago.

She said that she is lucky to have me as a patient. I let her know when there are any changes in my body.

I see my regular Dr on the 18th.

Not much else is new.

Oh yes. Since getting off the milnapricin I don't have the sweats 10 minutes after i start to move. I used to get soaked at least 10 to 15 times a day. My only real problem now is I'm back to being really tired. No barometric shanges so I just ache all over.

Leslie
  6. Toga

Toga Member

Sounds like you are doing ok. I am suprised you are not having more pain.

You have mentioned the sweats a couple times. I don't have them as bad as you describe but I am perspiring more then usual. I've been blaming it on the heat though I don't spend much time outside at all.

Good luck on the polyp biopsies. Its good that you keep a close eye on this. I'll be thinking of you on the 18th. I think it is such a shame you are having to wait so long to get the FM treated again.

Was Milnacipran the first drug that you were ever on for FM?

Toga
  7. schaken

schaken New Member

Toga
    I lived with this disease for twenty something years gettin worse each year. Stress from knowing there was something wrong.

Yes, it was the first drug I was ever on. Unless you count vioxx which didn't help at all. Even on the max dose.

My pain level right now is a 4 for me probably a 7 or 8 for others. I just know that I have to deal with it for anlther week or so.

I can last that long.

Course I am worse in the winter.

If you should go in the chat room my twin logs on as twin 1. She has a doctor that one week tells her she has fibro and the next time he says she doesn't.

She sees a orthopedic/rheumy the last of this month. I am praying that this Dr wil help her out.

Leslie
  8. Toga

Toga Member

So good to hear you are doing so well. Maybe the drug hangs on a while.

Good luck with that dr visit.

My husband just walked in. It's around 1:00 p.m. Thursday. We are leaving for our Lake House for the weekend. We have not been there for so long and we are really looking forward to a 3-day weekend.

I don't go to the Chat Room much but I will start. Do you go? Next week, maybe we can set a time and I'll remember to look for your twin.

Twins! That's so great. You've always got someone who is just like you to talk to. I would love that.

Got to go, hubby is pacing.

Love, Toga
  9. schaken

schaken New Member

Wish I could get away for a 3 day weekend.Sounds like fun.

Have a great time.
    Leslie
    P.S. Yes setting up a day and time would be great.