MILNACIPRAN vs CYMBALTA (Need info)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dsheila, Oct 15, 2005.

1. dsheila

dsheila New Member

I completed the final study of Milnacipran two weeks ago and since the FDA has not yet approved it; I have been getting the medication from overseas. Milnacipran worked for me and there is noway I am going back to the pain I was in prior.

My question is, I need to know if there is anyone out there who has been on both of the above mentioned medications (milnacipran/cymbalta). I have been dealing with increased depression, and this psychiatrist my doctor recommended wants me to try either Effexor or cymbalta for my pain instead of the Milnacipran. (mainly because she doesn't know very much about milnacipran and she doesn't feel comfortable giving me anything else on top of it)

Reluctantly; since I told her I would not stop the Milnacipran, she prescribed me Wellbutrin SR.

I need to know more about Cymbalta and show it compares to Milnacipran.

Would really appreciate your imput!
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Here is some information on the drug types.

Milnacipran works to inhibit serotonin and norepinephrine, and is a <b>NEW</b> class of medications known as NSRI (Norepinephrine Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors).

On the other hand Cymbalta is a SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor), and has only the ability to balance levels of serotonin.

Cymbalta and Milnacipran are different. Only Milnacipran inhibits the norepinephrine.

However, both inhibit the serotonin. <b>This may be too similar, and combining the two drugs is probably not a good idea.</b>

The Wellbutrin is totally different and doesn't work by inhibiting serotonin or norepinephrine. That's probably why the doctor is giving it to you.

SSRI: selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, have only the ability to balance levels of the nerve transmitter serotonin, these include: Celexa (citalopram), Prozac (fluoxetine), Luvox (fluvoxamine), Paxil (paroxetine) and Zoloft (sertraline).

SSNRI: have the ability to affect two neurotransmitters - serotonin and norepinephrine. Examples include: - Cymbalta (duloxetine), Effexor (venlafaxine), Cymbalta (duloxetine).

NSRI: Milnacipran, (also known as Midalcipran) is the first in a new class of antidepressants known as Norepinephrine Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. It is hoped that Milnacipran will be able to affect multiple pain mechanisms in a manner similar to that seen with some tricyclic antidepressants (amitriptyline), but without the negative side effects.